Junior Men - LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Junior Men - LP

apple123

On the Ice
I think you need to rewatch the program because other than the 3A remark I don't agree with the rest of your comments.

"Bent knees"? Do you look at his jump landings? How about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLB920927D91493464&feature=player_detailpage&v=IYtxwK2wJrg#t=122s

And what's so bad about his upper body gesture? He is ridiculously fluid in his movements.

Do you have some sort of problem with Brown? Judging from your comment about his "giggling like a silly girl"... the boy is 16 and has just won the biggest title of his career. Do you want him stony-faced?

And why changing your post? I'm just expressing my opinion. If you feel the need to attack, that says it all.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Jason Brown far exceeds the top level senior skaters in many areas of skating even. The kid is special. I wish him a 3axel and/or quad just so I can see more of him in the future. But his performance today stands as an indelible piece of art.

I agree.. He is something special and have qualities I do not even see in senior skaters

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
BTW, Evan Lysacek didn't get his triple axel until he was a few months shy of turning 18 and I'd say his senior competitive career certainly went places. Jason is 16. Just something to keep in mind...

Interesting. Anyone know what the typical age is for these elite male skaters to get a triple axel?

I really like him as a skater...just watching his facial expression backstage after he won, there's something endearing about him too.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I just watched Han Yan's FS. Was anyone actually at the event because on video he looks like he flies in and out of his jumps it was so impressive especially on the quad and one of the 3F. Does he actually come off like that live? I'd love to watch him live one day.

On another note I really dislike the outside edge camel spins that some guys are doing these days especially when their leg has this weird looking bend in it :(
(opps i think the spin i saw was in the SP)

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I just watched Han Yan's FS. Was anyone actually at the event because on video he looks like he flies in and out of his jumps it was so impressive especially on the quad and one of the 3F. Does he actually come off like that live? I'd love to watch him live one day.

It should look even more impressive live. I hope your wish comes true!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Interesting. Anyone know what the typical age is for these elite male skaters to get a triple axel?

It's like 16 or 17. Brown is a few days away from 17

OK, I already lost my temper in another thread tonight, so I am trying to remain calm from now on, but I strongly disagree with this.

Brown displayed senior level ability in a number of areas crucial to PCS. Yes, he is missing a 3A or quad. But he is extremely advanced for his age other than that. Is it too early to declare him the next great competitive skater? Obviously. And I think I've been critical in the past of comments about Sochi. But reactions that are extreme in the other direction are silly, too.

BTW, Evan Lysacek didn't get his triple axel until he was a few months shy of turning 18 and I'd say his senior competitive career certainly went places. Jason is 16. Just something to keep in mind...

I don't know what there is to disagree about. 3A is necessary. Everyone agrees. And that doesn't even mention quads. Think of Adam Rippon. He won a world jr title without a 3A. It probably would have been better if he lost trying with a 3A that time. There is way too much success comes without a 3A mentality in Brown from interviews.

Lysacek had a good career but the 3A held him back a lot of times - jumps were always up in the air and why he was never a frontrunner for much of anything and everyone talked about PCS and transitions.

wallylutz

Medalist

Yes, I can attest to that. I was there for the Junior Men today, kind of fun they had that event after the Senior Men LP. Han Yan was flying like a little squirrel jumping from tree top to tree top. He had incredible speed. No wonder, he stated that his idol is Patrick Chan and I can see how Han Yan has a little bit of Patrick Chan in him except the footwork. Otherwise, he got the jumps and speed, just like Patrick Chan.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Yes, I can attest to that. I was there for the Junior Men today, kind of fun they had that event after the Senior Men LP. Han Yan was flying like a little squirrel jumping from tree top to tree top. He had incredible speed. No wonder, he stated that his idol is Patrick Chan and I can see how Han Yan has a little bit of Patrick Chan in him except the footwork. Otherwise, he got the jumps and speed, just like Patrick Chan.

He really did seem like a version of Patrick so much speed in the video! I saw Jason's vid after Han Yan's and thought that he was quite smooth and flowly? on the ice. Were you there for the Men's FS too? I'd imagine that Han was faster than some of the senior men. It must have been a real treat to see the jr men's and men's event live. I am quite jealous >.<

iceflame

Rinkside
The result is quite disappointing for me. I know, if it were not for the mistake in SP, Yan would have win. The illness really drew him down in the performance. But, I still feel a little shocked at the PCS. At JGP Italy, Yan received a PCS of 71+ with his LP, while he only got 63+ at this competition, in which he delivered a much better performace. Almost 9 points down, that was too big for me to accept :( ... Watching him struggle to the K&C, with those unstopped bad coughes, makes me heartbreaking. He even coughed all through the medal ceremony.
It was a great competition after all. Hope to see all these young boys do well at JW.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Jason will be 17 in a couple of days. Lysacek is a good example of a hard-working athlete, who won the World and Olympics, but his 3 axel is not a good example, in my opinion. He had problems with it, my guess is that there would have been less problems if he had learned it a bit earlier.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Congrats to the medalists and hope Yan gets better soon! I'm so happy for Jason (hugs to Josh and best of luck next time)! Nice to know that Rohene is choreographing for him, brings a big smile to my face!

I said this in another thread recently, but I remember Chan talking about how someone (was it Kurt?) told him how to jump the quad (something about how to hold his body or I can't remember....but the point is, that someone gave him a mental map that he could "see" and boom, he started landing the quad)....and I just wish there was someone who could talk Jason through the 3 axel (and then later the quad too)....there's got to be some little "thing" he needs to lift up into and complete it that he just doesn't have yet (and, I hate to think of him practicing it so much and yet not reaching hte goal, it must be frustrating, nerve racking and I worry about injury too). That said, I do think he still has time AND regardless, it is wonderful to seem he skate now!

Gliding on ice

Rinkside
I am also quite disappointed by the results from yesterday. Please don’t get me wrong. All the medalists put on a great performance, and with special mention to Han Yan. For those of you who may not know, Yan caught a cold before leaving for Canada, which turned into a fever when he got to Quebec City. He even experienced hallucinations (from the high fever) the day before the Junior Men’s Short Program, and it did not get any better after that. I know had Yan not popped the triple Axel in his short program, he would have won here. Still, I am really puzzled by Yan’s PCS from the long program, as he put on a much better performance here than he did in Italy. But look at the two scores! Yan’s PCS here got marked down for almost 9 points, a difference that can’t be explained by any ordinary means.

Despite the jet lag and sickness, Yan proved him to be truly the rising star of tomorrow. And I can’t wait to see a healthy Yan performing at JW next year. Trust me, it won’t just be good. It will be spectacular!

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Jason will be 17 in a couple of days. Lysacek is a good example of a hard-working athlete, who won the World and Olympics, but his 3 axel is not a good example, in my opinion. He had problems with it, my guess is that there would have been less problems if he had learned it a bit earlier.

I agree that Lysacek didn't have a good 3A, but he did manage to at least get it to where he could win worlds and the Olympics. My comment was really just trying to point out that there is still time for Jason to add a competition-ready 3A to his repertoire.

BTW, I absolutely agree that getting it a bit earlier would have likely helped Lysacek.

Jason's FP is one of the highlights of the GPF for me. A clean program! And skated with such elegance and ease.

I can't bring myself to worry much about the 3A. He's too big a talent not to get it... or so I trust.

In this array of stars, I was hoping for Jason to skate his best. He will be the one who skates blade to ice, and not flying off the ice.

cutesonic

Rinkside
Only my personal opinion. It's Junior Men's skating, not girls'. Jason really lacks in masculinity in comparison to others. His performance makes me uncomfortable.

treeloving

Medalist
I am also quite disappointed by the results from yesterday. Please don’t get me wrong. All the medalists put on a great performance, and with special mention to Han Yan. For those of you who may not know, Yan caught a cold before leaving for Canada, which turned into a fever when he got to Quebec City. He even experienced hallucinations (from the high fever) the day before the Junior Men’s Short Program, and it did not get any better after that. I know had Yan not popped the triple Axel in his short program, he would have won here. Still, I am really puzzled by Yan’s PCS from the long program, as he put on a much better performance here than he did in Italy. But look at the two scores! Yan’s PCS here got marked down for almost 9 points, a difference that can’t be explained by any ordinary means.

Despite the jet lag and sickness, Yan proved him to be truly the rising star of tomorrow. And I can’t wait to see a healthy Yan performing at JW next year. Trust me, it won’t just be good. It will be spectacular!

Wow! I truly adore him being sick and still give a wonderful performance. As I have mentioned before he is super talent and has almost no weakness, I will not be surprise if he will become an olympic champion one day.

I can't wait for JW as well and hope that by that time his medal will turn gold.