Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Pairs FS

Rinkside
    I'm just curious. Kissing on the lips between a man and a woman in Russian culture doesn't necessarily mean two people are romantically involved?

Rinkside
    Poor Z/Z. My heart really broke for them.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by letsskate View Post
    I'm just curious. Kissing on the lips between a man and a woman in Russian culture doesn't necessarily mean two people are romantically involved?
    Usually it does mean that, so some people in Russia were also confused if V/T are having an affair. But in this case, I believe, it's just happened because of how emotional they were after finishing.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstone View Post
    Usually it does mean that, so some people in Russia were also confused if V/T are having an affair. But in this case, I believe, it's just happened because of how emotional they were after finishing.
    hmm ok, but they seemed to me that they did the same thing at the kiss and cry after SP as well.... Stas didn't seem to have any reaction to it whatsoever. haha

Tripping on the Podium
    hmm ok, but they seemed to me that they did the same thing at the kiss and cry after SP as well.... Stas didn't seem to have any reaction to it whatsoever. haha
    Nah, it was close but not on the lips.
    We saw them walking holding hands during the CoR and Stas was very cool with it,lol. Max and Tanya generally act touchy-feely with each other .

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Depends what you define as clean. I thought they had 2 minor mistakes.
    They did, and just to make it clear, a two-foot landing is not a minor mistake. The deduction is -3 and the GOE has to be in the minuses.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silver.blades View Post
    I thought that V/T had done enough overall to win, but the margin is so small that I can't really complain. S/S program is a masterpiece. By far one of the great pairs programs. Individually and element for element the Russians are the better team.
    Do others agree with this comment--that element for element, V/T is the better pair?

I agree V/T have the best split triple twist (that seems widely acknowledged). I'd give them the edge in lifts too. I love Savchenko/Szolkowy's lifts, but V/T's lifts have a great effortless quality to them, as well as lovely positions on her part. Also I think V/T get better ice coverage on lifts than S/S. In terms of side-by-side jumps, I think S/S have the edge. Certainly their jump layout is tougher, with the back-to-back SBS triple toes. I think the Gerrmans' spins are better as well. Also I'd probably give them the edge in footwork and transitions. I haven't seen the two teams live, so I can't really evaluate their relative speed on the ice. The Germans look slower on TV, but then again, their choreography is much more difficult and complex, which tends to slow things a bit.

Personally I prefer S/S because their choreography and programs are so much more innovative and creative. I like V/T a lot also and totally respect their technical skills, but to me their programs are prosaic and ordinary. They really need to raise the level of their choreography and costumes. If they do, they may become very tough to beat! I'm sure that's why S/S are trying to up the ante technically with the throw triple Axel.

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    I do prefer S/S overall because they are very good technically and more enjoyable performers. As for V/T the purest in me absolutely adores Tatiana as she is impeccable and IMO the best female pairs skater currently competing. The fact that her manages to keep up with her and hold his own next to her makes me feel like they are the better team technically, but S/S aren't that far behind them and are much better on the performance side.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's interesting that it was a 3 way tie on the judge's protocols for the "Best Twist" category

V&T have the most spectacular (and highest GOE) version, but they have it with a level 1 rather than a level 3, as do Z&Z and T&T.

Zhangs 3LzTw3 7.10
    Takahashi & Tran 3FTw3 7.10
    Volosozhar & Trankov 3LzTw1 7.10
    Kawaguti&Smirnova 3LzTw2 5.80
    Savchenko & Szolkowy 3LzTw1 5.50
    Duhamel & Radford 3LzTw2 5.20

BTW, I was thrilled to see the Zhangs were in the exhibition, so I'm hoping Zhang Hao's arm & shoulder aren't irretrievably screwed up, and that they will be back competing at 4CC's and Worlds.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-12-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Max also kissed Maria so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveFigures View Post
    They did, and just to make it clear, a two-foot landing is not a minor mistake. The deduction is -3 and the GOE has to be in the minuses.
    The judges either didn't see V/T two-foot the landing or they ignored it. They had only five judges give a -1, three giving +1 and one 0.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It's interesting that it was a 3 way tie on the judge's protocols for the "Best Twist" category

V&T have the most spectacular (and highest GOE) version, but they have it with a level 1 rather than a level 3, as do Z&Z and T&G.

Zhangs 3LzTw3 7.10
    Takahashi & Tran 3FTw3 7.10
    Volosozhar & Trankov 3LzTw1 7.10
    Kawaguti&Smirnova 3LzTw2 5.80
    Savchenko & Szolkowy 3LzTw1 5.50
    Duhamel & Radford 3LzTw2 5.20

BTW, I was thrilled to see the Zhangs were in the exhibition, so I'm hoping Zhang Hao's arm & shoulder aren't irretrievably screwed up, and that they will be back competing at 4CC's and Worlds.
    I think Bazarova and Larionov have the best twist, not V/T.

V/T may be slightly higher but until you add in the rest: difficult entry, split twist, arms over the head the hight is really all they have. But B/L have height and a L3.

The Zhangs to me have the worst, only because of her. The hight is great but her bent body in the air is gross.

Custom Title
    Re. Hao's shoulder, due to his finger injuries, which are not 100% healed, he's been compensating with his arm and evidently shoulder, plus Dan actually grew during his long sojourn from handling her weight. I think at this point Hao's rather vulnerable to injuries.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm afraid that's true. Fortunately, there is a reasonably long time till 4CC's. He may heal (I hope)

The 2012 national championships have already been held (they won), so that should be their next competition. Of course, they could skip it, too, and come back again at Worlds.

Custom Title
    Zhangs are still very strong technically. They also showed good progresses in artistry. Wish them luck.

I start to like S/S's LP now, although I think presentation wise their Skate Russia one was better. It's interesting to see which team get on top at World.

Rinkside
    Who was holding hands? Max and Tanya or Tanya and Stas?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8