What would you say to Alissa? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What would you say to Alissa?

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
i understand that unlike flatt's moscow worlds skate, AC's GPF performance didn't affect any other skater's ability to enter future competitions. that is a significant difference.

IMO AC's skate wasn't embarrassing and awful. in fact it showed her pride and determination, how fiercely she fought for some of those jump landings. it showed how far she's come that she could eek out those landings even when in pain and not at her physical best.

and i honestly don't think anybody has to say *anything* to her. she's clearly a strong person who's come back from much lower points than this. this performance was affected by injury.

no disrespect to the OP, who i think means well, but i think it's a bit unfair to her for anyone outside the situation to presume that she needs comforting, like she was profoundly shaken by this one bad skate, or thinks all the progress she's made with her jump consistency has gone away because of one skating-while-injured performance. i would have thought that her fans would have more faith in her own words--that she's a new skater now-- the 12th place finisher at worlds is long gone.

i have at times questioned the holding up of her spins and spirals as the ultimate standard. i still wonder about the non-calls of her underrotated jumps, still dislike her stiffness and narrow range, but i don't question her strength as a competitor or the improvement in her jump technique. and i wonder if well-meaning folks who rush to send her comforting words are all the while re-enforcing the notion that she's somehow terribly fragile, when she's in fact incredibly resilient.

Point taken, skfan. I worried that my post implied just what you say immediately after I wrote it. To clarify, I don't mean to suggest that Alissa is more psychologically fragile than any other skater competing today. I posted this question in reference to Alissa because she happens to be my favorite skater of the past 3-4 years; I just have a greater concern for her than I do for other skaters!

I think a skate like that would rattle anyone. Lots of people (incorrectly) blame their own lack of ability even when they have legitimate "external" explanations for their lack of success (in this case, for Alissa, the injury). And I was especially concerned in this case because it was, by a notable margin, Alissa's most flawed FS since the beginning of last season. (I agree, though, that it would be an exaggeration to say it was embarrassing or awful.)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well said, Pepe. After seeing her talk at the post skate interview, I think she was just disappointed that she worked hard and did well all season and at practice before the GP final, she injures herself. And the way she was skating, she could have won the whole show.
But injuries happen. This bravo sierra that it is easy to power through injury to win is for football players, not people relying on muscle memory to do intricate yet powerful jumps. She did a good job for being injured,
and showed class by not blaming the injury....I will take class any day over Arrogant OGM winners....that is why Michelle Kwan is a legand and some OGM winners are mere champions....

brightphoton

Medalist
Alissa is considered a psychologically strong skater now? I guess all those years of telling us about her nerves and Scott and Sandra opining about her gentle nature not fitting in with the trials of competition were jokes.

A phrase that is commonly applied to Alissa is "at least she didn't give up" or "at least she showed fight." To this day, I'm not sure what it means, but it seems to mean, "at least she only fell on 70% of her jumps, not 100%. That's improvement!"

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I suppose it means that she did not skate off the ice in the middle of the event holding her injured body part, going ow ow ow I quit.

brightphoton

Medalist
Yeah, but no one does that ...

The phrase should apply to a skater who falls in an opening or early jump, but executes all the other jumps correctly. But for Alissa, it means what you've said. I guess.

russell30

Final Flight
Alissa just had a bad day at the office, she will be fine, she is in fine form and seems to get better and better, u should be looking at the US Champion again!!

She has a great team around her:)

mskater93

Record Breaker
On FB, she was grateful for the fan support and concern for her injury. She said she would take a week off to rest the injury, which occurred during practices on Thursday.