Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Junior Competitors and Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by mmcdermott View Post
    Is it normal for there to be a small field in junior pairs? Just wondering. If so, it doesn't seem to be a problem, since pairs is one of the more competitive disciplines at the senior level.
    Yeah, and the women's singles event is always packed at every level in Canada...hasn't seemed to help much.

Wikipedia has the complete results of Canadians for recent years, but it's blacked out today. I don't really feel like navigating the Skate Canada website, although I am curious about the same thing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    Yeah, and the women's singles event is always packed at every level in Canada...hasn't seemed to help much.

Wikipedia has the complete results of Canadians for recent years, but it's blacked out today. I don't really feel like navigating the Skate Canada website, although I am curious about the same thing.
    yes, but what you do is you go to google and go to cache of wiki Canadians. Or click on wiki before it blackens out.
    btw the feed of dance is blacking out on my comp.

It's not working right for me either. I wish this were on CBC, they do a much better job. None of this separating the top 6 nonsense either.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post

right when the wikipedia page loads and before it goes to the blackout thing press ESC, it locks the page in place

Custom Title
    I'm thrilled for Bobak/Beharry. Not only did they win by a landslide as predicted, they laid down some pretty good skates as well. Hopefully a junior world medal is in their future.

I just watched the SD, or at least the part that Skatebuzz actually showed. A little surprised by the results, but in a good way. Edwards/Pang were really good, and got crazy high levels for all of their elements. One 3 and the rest 4's. Both of them are really nice performers, in addition to being good technically.

What really made my day was Poulin/Servant's placement, though. I didn't actually see them skate (thanks Skatebuzz :sheesh, but I've really liked this team since they first got together three seasons back. I'm convinced they would have come at least second last year if it wasn't for twizzle disasters in the SD and FD. This season hasn't exactly gone well for them, though, and they didn't place all that high at challenge (though, judging by the arm brace that Marc-Andre was wearing, they were probably dealing with injury at the time), so I wasn't expecting much. I'm so glad I was wrong. I really hope they can at least keep their place after the FD. Fingers crossed!!

Does anyone happen to know how many spots we have for junior worlds?
    Last edited by skatingfan04; 01-18-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Does anyone happen to know how many spots we have for junior worlds?
    1 ladies spot ( must do the qualifying FS at JW )
    2 dance spots ( both go straight to SD )
    2 mens spots ( 1 direct entry to SP - lower ISU ranked skater must do qualifying )
    3 pairs spots ( 2 direct to SP - the 3rd may have to do qualifying skate depending on how many entries )

Quote Originally Posted by derplutz View Post
    right when the wikipedia page loads and before it goes to the blackout thing press ESC, it locks the page in place
    Oooh, thanks!

Well, after doing a little poking around, it appears there wasn't any time in recent history we had as few as seven teams in junior pairs. We did have nine a few times (in 2010, 2009, and 2002). But typically we do have at least twelve. I'm not sure why there are fewer this year.

Watching the junior ladies, and...sigh. Except for one or two skaters so far, most of them aren't trying anything more difficult than a triple salchow or triple toe, and only a handful can do those right.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    1 ladies spot ( must do the qualifying FS at JW )
    2 dance spots ( both go straight to SD )
    2 mens spots ( 1 direct entry to SP - lower ISU ranked skater must do qualifying )
    3 pairs spots ( 2 direct to SP - the 3rd may have to do qualifying skate depending on how many entries )
    Thank you.

Dance will be interesting. One would assume that Orford/Williams will be given a spot regardless of where they place in senior. They did win a JGP after all. I'm not sure if any other senior teams would be eligable. Likely whoever wins junior dance tomorrow will go.

As for pairs, Bobak & Beharry have a lock on the first spot. I suppose Purdy/Marinaro, Purich/Schultz and Steele/Schults all have a good chance at getting the other two. The rest of the junior podium could go as well.

As for women, who knows.

In men, I suppose they may send Rogozine if he doesn't qualify for senior worlds. I suppose Nam Nguyen and Liam Firus could be fighting it out for the other spot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post

As for pairs, Bobak & Beharry have a lock on the first spot. I suppose Purdy/Marinaro, Purich/Schultz and Steele/Schults all have a good chance at getting the other two. The rest of the junior podium could go as well.
    Steele/Schultz have split ( according to tracings.net ).

Purich/Schultz can't go to JW as Schultz is too old ( born April 25 1990 ) which would have made him 21 as of last July 1. 20 as of that date is the maximum age for men.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Bravo to Edwards and Pang..I didn't see Poulin / Servant. G-r-r-r, I hope the livestream is less glitchy tomorrow...I must say I don't care for P/S's SD , but they must have skated it well, so good for them.

Just stricken for Bruser / Lum .. they were skating so well. Ah well, they have an very good FD, maybe they can pull up a bit.

There're lots of possibilities for shuffling about and a lot of nice FD's among those top 7 or 8.

Custom Title
    Poulin & Sevant just won it with a great FD!! I'm SO happy for them! I hope this means they get to go to junior worlds. Their twizzles were a little off, but considering that they had gotten into the habit of falling on them, this was a giant step up. The rest of the program was lovely. They have a nice flow, a good connection with one another, and skate with more maturity than the other teams IMO. I believe they are among the oldest competitors here, so it makes sense. I think Marc-Andre might have been sick, though. He looked really winded and unsteady after they finished. I hope he's OK.

Edwards & Pang skated really well. Their FD has ceratinly grown on me over the season. I like their presentation a lot, and I think they'll have a great future down the line.

I'm really happy Bruiser & Lum were able to move up to third. Their FD is really excellent, although I'm still not sold on a couple of the lifts. I'm surprised by how well they seemed to "get" the tango style.

I thought Bent & Mackeen skated pretty well also, but their FD isn't my favourite. All in all last year's novice podium did pretty well for themselves here.

I liked the Hasegawa's FD better tonight than I have in the past, but their twizzles were off and something went wrong with the spin as well, I think. I was impressed by Victoria, though. She in particular was very elegant.

Paradis & Ouellette didn't thrill me. They have nice energy, but I found the program to be so-so.

I have to comment on Dalmer & Firus, even though I was so distracted by their music that I didn't pay much attention to their skating. I'm a huge Gershwin fan, so I was really annoyed. I don't think they could have found uglier versions of those two songs if they had tried.

Well, those are my two cents. What did you all think?

Custom Title
    I missed most of Poulin/Servant's FD so I thought he had made some horrible mistake and maybe was hurt from the way he behaved after the skate and the way everybody was all concerned and comforting. Then they got the highest score with no deduction and eventually won the competition. Watching the whole Edwards/Pang program I thought they would probably win. I really like this team.

Custom Title
    I watched them and was concerned when I saw his behaviour after the dance. Dance was great, but I worry that he might be injured.

Custom Title
    Congrats to Mitchel Gordon for winning the Junior Men. That was an impressive performance. He has the Chan style while 3rd placed Joel Bond reminded me of Abbott, very nice skating but popped some jumps. I like the edges and speed of 15 year old Drew Wolf too, hope he will pick up more technical skills.

Custom Title
    Thankfully, Marc-Andre Servant seemed to be OK during that medal ceremony. He was all smiles, laughing and joking with the others. He and Andreanne looked absolutely thrilled.

Mitchell Gordon really put on a show. Amazing, to win juniors the year after winning novice. He's 15, right? You could tell he really left an impression on the crowd, too, because when he came out to get his medal, they cheered loud enough to be heard over the arena music. Considering how many people were in the arena, that's saying something. Hopefully, this will mean a junior worlds trip for him as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast