Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Senior Competitors and Predictions

Custom Title
    Well IP - it seems you and I appear to be on the same wavelength for these Nationals and it will be interesting to say the least. Yes it may not be an Olympic year but it will be very telling to see if there is a push for certain skaters based on reputation etc (for the 3rd to 5th rankings). Here is my 2 cents:

- For the men - I would give the edge to Rogozine over Reynolds. I would love for Reynolds to be coached by someone besides McLeod. I would love to see him actually with Brian Orser. I am a big fan of Jeremy Ten but I don't think he will be ready mentally to compete at this stage after being injured for a prolonged period of time but hey he may be the wildcard here....

- For the pairs - The top two spots are a toss up between D/R and T-M/M. I think that both teams have different strengths and will be a good rivalry. Lawrence/Swiegers have potential and did not skate well at either Nebelhorn or their GP assignment and left a points on the table. If they skate fairly well - they should be in third. As for Dube/Wolfe - their programs are not as challenging as L/S and I thought that they were generously marked at TEB. I am also interested in seeing how they will be marked against L/S. I also find it a little strange that Dube is competing in singles.

- For dance - I am hoping that we will get to see strong performances from Paul/Islam provided that she is healthy. I also think that Ralph/Hill have improved. Obviously they benefitted when Crone/Poirier broke up and their coaching team had more time allotted to them. As for Gilles/Poirier, I also think that they have been very generously scored in local competitions - so we will see how those scores come down at Nationals.

The good thing that I am hoping to see in both dance and pairs is the variety of teams and programs. Ideally all teams skate fairly clean and we should be able to see who Skate Canada gives the inside edge to.

Custom Title
    My general thoughts:

Men:

1. Chan
    2. Rogozine
    3. Reynolds
    4. Ten
    5. Can't decide but between Nam , Firus and Balde

I agree totally with heyhey on the mens side. I do hope Ten regains his jumps in time because he could finish 2nd if it happens. Ten will be no worse than 4th anyway. The one thing is that both Kevin and Andrei do tend to struggle at senior nationals.

It will also be a battle for 5th and the last national team slot between Balde, Firus and Nam for the last spot. Balde has skated badly internationally this season. Firus is in his last seaon of junior internationally but his jumps aren't even ready for the senior international circuit and his spins could be improved ( I do like his musicality, lines and basic control of the blade though ). I think that SC will think Nam has the most upside given his youth and might have the inside track for that spot even if his skating looks very juniorish at this stage.

I still want Nam to drop Mcleod as coach though. I fear he will stagnate at a critical point in his development under her.

Ladies

1. Phaneuf
    2. Lacoste
    3. Osmond
    4. Najarro
    5 . Descantis

A meh competition as far as who wins nationals though. Although Lacoste has skated better so far she tends to chokes at nationals so I think Phaneuf will win.

To me seeing the development of the top juniors and novices ( who are finally doing some harder triples than salchow and toe ) is the real excitement for me.

Let's just hope that SC chooses the right lady for JW. Personally I think Osmond is the best bet right now as she has been the most consistent this year. It is important to improve the JGP spots next year. I don't expect the max 14 whoever we send as we have no chance at being in top 3 countries. But countries 4 -6 ( ie 7 slots ) is doable and would be an improvement from the 4 we had this year. I would be very wary of sending Najarro even if she is the top finisher of those who can go to JW.

Custom Title
    Did Emanuel Sandhu go to Sectionals? or was he thinking of next year? or was it a "flash in the pan" keep him in the spotlight.

Custom Title
    Skate Canada must be concerned with the level of the Ladies at the moment, Phaneuf and Lacoste are not consistent enough. I wouldn't be surprised if the federation pursues Rochette to come back in the 2012-2013 season and then for Sochi that is if Joannie wants to come back.

Custom Title
    I hope Orser has changed the layout of the jumps for Phaneuf in her SP and ditch the Lutz as that is not working in order to get the confidence back.

I am surprised Cynthia cannot do a triple toe triple toe, her triple toe, is so solid - extension, height and flowing edge.

I would get her to do in SP Triple loop + double toe, triple toe and double axel.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    Skate Canada must be concerned with the level of the Ladies at the moment, Phaneuf and Lacoste are not consistent enough. I wouldn't be surprised if the federation pursues Rochette to come back in the 2012-2013 season and then for Sochi that is if Joannie wants to come back.
    If Canada wants at least a silver medal at the team event in Sochi, they will need Ms. Rochette....

Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    I would get her to do in SP Triple loop + double toe, triple toe and double axel.
    You can't do the same jump as solo and combo in the SP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    You can't do the same jump as solo and combo in the SP.
    You miss understood me :

Triple loop +double toe (combo)
    Triple Toe (single)
    Double Axel

Custom Title
    It will be interesting to see if Cynthia Phaneuf's packaging will change under Brian Orser. At this point over the last 2 months, I am certain that they have focused on her jumping technique and trying to get her confidence level back up. I also think that training with the likes of Javier Fernandez and the other elite skaters under Orser will have positive benefits. Hopefully she will have good outings at nationals.

Custom Title
    I'm SO excited!! I don't know if I'll last another two weeks.

Custom Title
    I don't think choreography would change much as David Wilson has been her choreographer all the way. The reason for the empty programs I guess was due to her inconsistency with the jumps and couldn't handle more complex choreograph on top of that. I'm not sure if she has skills to handle more complicated intricate choreograph as I don't remember ever seeing her did one. So I hope Tracy and Brian will give her a solid base for David to work on and then we can hope to see fundamental changes in Cynthia's skating. I'm looking forward to seeing it happening. I like her as a skater, powerful and delicate at the same time, very musical with great lines. I just want to SEE different program instead of listening to different music with practically the same moves year after year. She has the potential to be a real good skater in the international scene. Good luck Cynthia at the nationals!

Custom Title
    From PJ Kwong:

Q & A: Cynthia Phaneuf

I think her head is at the right place which bodes well for the Nationals and Worlds. Is she listed for 4CC?

Also, a preview from Linda Irving and PJ:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...86552520&tab=1

And PJ on Gilles and Poirier including interview and practice videos.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 01-14-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Here's something I'm thrilled about ( Did anyone know this ?) Elladj Balde is training at DSC ! Whoop! Whoop!

My sister just phoned to tell me . Apparently she was browsing on FSU and came across an article about the DSC show and there he was ..listed as not just a guest but as training there. I'm ecstatic. I think he has so much potential but I thought he really needed a change when I saw him earlier this year. His jumps are coming back, but he needed something..discipline ? organization ?..something. I knew Camerlengo did his short program from last year ( which he kept ). I really hope this proves to be a great move for him.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Here's something I'm thrilled about ( Did anyone know this ?) Elladj Balde is training at DSC ! Whoop! Whoop!

My sister just phoned to tell me . Apparently she was browsing on FSU and came across an article about the DSC show and there he was ..listed as not just a guest but as training there. I'm ecstatic. I think he has so much potential but I thought he really needed a change when I saw him earlier this year. His jumps are coming back, but he needed something..discipline ? organization ?..something. I knew Camerlengo did his short program from last year ( which he kept ). I really hope this proves to be a great move for him.
    That is fantastic. I agree that he has seemed to have potential, fought through injuries, and then looked soooo weak at - which was it - Skate Canada? Whereever, it was hard to watch. I have heard that the training regime was lacking so maybe going to play with the big boys might make him realise he has to do more - from big fish, little pond at Therrien's school to the little fish in the big pond of Detroit.

And it is in his current Skate Canada Profile - with no coach listed - wonder who he is working with?
    Elladj Balde
    Pierrefonds, QC

Date of Birth: Nov 09, 1990
    Place of Birth: Moscow, Russia
    Residence: Pierrefonds, QC
    Height: 5'8''
    Club: Club De Patinage Des Deux-Rives
    Training Site: Detroit Skating Club, MI, USA
    Coach:
    Choreographer: Pasquale Camerlengo, Renee Roca, Charles Klapow
    Began Skating at: 7
    Web Site:

In terms of ranking, I had been placing him very low based on his fall performances, but now there is some hope ....
    Last edited by ajjcanada; 01-15-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: new info

Tripping on the Podium
    A bit off the track, but I don't see Jessica Dube listed on senior ladies anymore. Does anyone have any information?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast