11 Olga Lioudvinevitch / Benjamin Mulder WO
12 Mélissande Dumas / David Mackay Perry QC
13 Jazz Smyl Joly / Nicholas Jesionek AB/NT/NU
14 Anne Chloe Bissonnette / Dylan Lockey Chatha QC
15 Helene Letourneau / Kevin Boczar EO

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Thanks hohoho. For ladies , mens and dance you managed to list the competitors in reverse order of the SP start order.

Pairs is a little bit trickier. Jones/Gaskell did compete at senior nationals last year so to be consistent they should be listed after Lawrence/Swiegers.

There will be a draw for skate order between Purich/Schultz , Steele/Schultz and Dube/Wolfe ( byed skaters who did not do senior nationals last year ) to skate immediately before Jones/Gaskell ( the lowest placed at last senior nationals of the byed skaters).

If Bobak/Beharry are skating senior then Tou/Penasse become subs as there will not be more than 12 pairs at nationals and Bobak/Beharry would have a bye due to JGPF. As well they would be involved in the draw mentioned above.

hohoho

On the Ice
Hi Nadster, wasn't intended to be a start order just competitor list.

In Ladies, question mark is either Myriane Samson or Alexie Gelinas will be there.

Pairs is tricky. I am thinking Bobak/Beharry should skate Senior with their performances on the JGP. Couldn't list Tou/Penasse as SUB until the formal list is released by Skate Canada.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice

In Ladies, question mark is either Myriane Samson or Alexie Gelinas will be there.

Pairs is tricky. I am thinking Bobak/Beharry should skate Senior with their performances on the JGP. Couldn't list Tou/Penasse as SUB until the formal list is released by Skate Canada.

They are both age eligible, and neither has won Junior Pairs in Canada. They are a brand new team. I'm pretty sure they will compete Junior and will bring home the gold medal. There is no benefit to them competing Senior domestically this year. Based on age, I think they can compete again as Juniors internationally next year as well, but if they win Junior at home this year, they will have to skate Senior domestically next year.

Another note, a really minor one, I believe Taylor Steele and Rob Shultz represent WO.

In dance, I'm really interested to see if Bissonnette and Lockey Chatham will actually show up at Nationals. From my scouring the web, I don't think they have competed anywhere since last year's Canadians. Are they still a team?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm going to be interested to see how Paul & Islam, Gilles & Poirier, and Ralph & Hill finish at Nationals. I'm hoping for R&H to knock it outta the park.

nadster

Final Flight

I didn't think so but since your lists line up so perfectly I just wanted to point that out so that one does not have to wait to get the official SP/SD start order. You pretty much put it out there perfectly for ladies, mens and dance.

Only in pairs ( because there are at least 2 byed pairs that did not do senior nationals last year ) will there be any sort of draw at all among the byed teams who did not do senior nationals last year. They'll skate after the non-byed skaters but before the byed skaters who did senior nationals last year.

hohoho

On the Ice
So some predictions:

Senior Ladies:
(assuming Samson is NOT competing)

1-2 Cynthia Phaneuf
1-2 Amelie Lacoste
3-5 Alexandra Najarro
3-5 Kate Charbonneau
3-5 Kaetlyn Osmond

Very hard to predict. Depends on how Phaneuf responds to Orser. Lacoste has been skating well. Expecting Najarro to skate better here than Challenge. Same as Charbonneau. If Osmond corrects the few mistakes she made at challenge she could be higher than 3-5 group.

Senior Men:

1 Patrick Chan
2-5 Kevin Reynolds
2-5 Jeremy Ten
2-5 Liam Firus
2-5 Elladj Balde

Chan is a lock on 1st. 2-5 will be a toss up from the BC boys and Elladj. Outside shot from Nam.

Senior Pairs:

1-2 Moore-Towers / Moscovich
1-2 Duhamel / Radford
3-4 Lawrence / Swiegers
3-4 Dube / Wolfe
5 Seguin / Evans

MT/M and D/R I think are a lock for the 1-2 positions. I think D/R have the momentum. L/S and D/W will battle for third here, but can move up if one of the top two falter. Leaving 5th for the QC Section champs and Challenge Silver medallists

Senior Dance

1 Virtue / Moir
2 Weaver / Poje
3-5 Gilles / Poirier
3-5 Paul / Islam
3-5 Ralph / Hill

V/M are a lock at 1st and W/P as well in 2nd. 3-5 grouping will totally depends on who really wants it. I am leaning towards G/P.

nadster

Final Flight
So some predictions:

Senior Men:

1 Patrick Chan
2-5 Kevin Reynolds
2-5 Jeremy Ten
2-5 Liam Firus
2-5 Elladj Balde

Chan is a lock on 1st. 2-5 will be a toss up from the BC boys and Elladj. Outside shot from Nam.

Surprised you left out Rogozine. Personally I see Rogozine , Reynolds and Ten fighting for 2nd to 4th spots. I see Balde, Nam and Firus fighting for the last spot on the national team.

There are question marks as to how far Ten is to getting his jumps back. He should be jumping better than at the challenge though.

The other thing is that Rogozine and Reynolds do not tend to skate their best at nationals. I have a feeling that Rogozine pips ahead due to the fact that he is the most consistent internationally.

katia

On the Ice
"3-5 grouping will totally depends on who really wants it. I am leaning towards G/P. "
I would like Paul/Islam to be third, but I am afraid you are right, it will not be them but G/P :-(
And I think Harvey/Gagnon may be fourth.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Well, I'm always terrible at this, but here goes...

Men:

1. Chan (he could skate the entire program on his backside and still win)
2. Rogozine (he's very consistent, and I think that could give him an edge)
3. Reynolds

Ladies:

1. Phaneuf (she always skates well at nationals)
2. Najarro (this is probably wishful thinking)
3. Lacoste

Pairs:

1. Moore-Towers & Moscovitch (i think their material is better than D/R's)
2. Duhamel & Radford
3. Lawrence & Swiegers

Dance:

1. Virtue & Moir (no brainer)
2. Weaver & Poje (double no brainer...though I suspect they may begin to close the gap points wise on V/M this year)
3. Paul & Islam (I know their season has been a complete disaster, but I have faith)

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm dreadful at this too. I can never keep my hopes out of my predictions ( assuming they're anywhere close to each other )...Thank goodness I'm not a betting woman.:)

Men

1. Patrick , of course
2 ? ..3 ?...I wish for Jeremy Ten to just slide in here, somehow, and shake up the podium. Rogozine and Reynolds are probably surer bets , but I can't be thrilled at the prospect.
( I'd also love to think Elladj could be back enough to challenge for the podium , but he'll need another coach and another year to make that at all feasible , I think . )

Ladies ( just considering the options depresses me )

1. Cynthia , no doubt..she does usually skate well at nationals, and I'm curious to see if Brian has yet managed to make a difference for her in their short time together.
2. Lacoste , I suppose...but nothing deflates me more than thoughts of our ladies' field..
3. Najarro , I guess... (see above )

Pairs

1 . Moore-Towers / Moscovitch
2. Duhamel / Radford ... but 1 and 2 could switch on any given day.
3. Lawrence / Sweigers... Like them lots, but still not the choreographic, costume route they've taken.

Dance

1. Virtue / Moir
2. Weaver / Poje
3. ( ohgodohgodohgod ) I want and wish Paul / Islam to be back in form enough to take 3rd, but don't know if they can be. It's a tall order in a short time ... If not , I'd like to see Ralph and Hill , considering the improvements they've made. ( I'd love it if Orford / Williams could crack top 5 this year...we'll see..6th is probably the best they can hope for )

In all disciplines, I hope for a total absence of political sway , and hype . Oh ,let me dream....

Last edited:

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Here are my prediction :)

Senior Ladies:

1. Alexandra Najarro
2. Cynthia Phaneuf
3. Adriana Desanctis
4. Amélie Lacoste
5. Vanessa Grenier

I'm pretty sure that in the Senior ladies, we will see a lot of change in the ranging. It will be an interesting competition :)

Senior Men:

1. Patrick Chan
2. Kevin Reynolds
3. Jeremy Ten
4. Andrei Rogozine
5. Nam Nguyen

Senior Pairs:

1. Moore-Towers / Moscovich
2. Duhamel / Radford
3. Lawrence / Swiegers
4. Dube / Wolfe
5 Seguin / Evans

Senior Dance

1. Virtue / Moir
2. Weaver / Poje
3. Paul / Islam
4. Gilles / Poirier
5. Ralph / Hill

wasabi

On the Ice
1. Cynthia Phaneuf
2.Alexandra Najarro
3. Adriana Desanctis
4. Amélie Lacoste
5. Vanessa Grenier

Senior Men:

1. Patrick Chan
2. Kevin Reynolds
3. . Andrei Rogozine
4;Jeremy Ten
5. Eladge Balde

Senior Pairs:

1. Moore-Towers / Moscovich
2. Duhamel / Radford
3. Lawrence / Swiegers
4. Dube / Wolfe
5 Seguin / Evans

Senior Dance

1. Virtue / Moir
2. Weaver / Poje
3.Gilles / Poirier
4. Ralph / Hill
5. Paul / Islam

Macassar88

Medalist
I know that Weaver and Poje are 99% gonna get silver, but I'd really like to see them break the 100 mark in the free dance. It's such an amazing dance, and they should be rewarded accordingly even though it's just a national competition.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Questions and Thoughts.

1. The second men's spot is a fascinating conundrum, isn't it? Reynolds actually outpointed Rogozine (by 11 and 7 points, approximately), and that's entirely a tribute to his ridiculously high base value. But his PCS are actually nothing to write home about - low sixes for both. I think Rogozine is the stronger competitor mentally and I think Skate Canada will be behind him more. Rogozine attempted a quad in both is programs at Thornhill. If he can actually get one landed at Nationals, I think his PCS will be enough. But his last Nationals LP was pretty disappointing.

2. There are three question marks when it comes to the men, imo - Liam Firus, Nam Nguyen, and Jeremy Ten. Ten and Firus are former top six (Ten medalled) skaters. Ten's coming back from injury. Firus had a disappointing JGP season. Nguyen is way too young and without the big guns, jump wise, but he's also really consistent at Nationals. Should be interesting to see where they rank.

3. The ladies are an uninteresting lot.

4. Pairs, on the other hand..... Okay, end of the last season. D/R beat Mt/M twice in back to back competitions (4CC and Worlds). I thought D/R would have a smooth ride to the top of Nationals this season with their wickedly high base value and solid PCS. But Mt/M came out at Skate America with one of the great pairs LPs of the season (which, whoa, didn't see that coming). I still think D/R have the edge (they should win the SP by an element-margin and high base value means the ability to absorb errors more readily) but it's a lot closer than I thought.

5. Unfortunately for Lawrence/Swiegers. Because they don't have the base value to compete, and their PCS have been (unfairly?) stuck behind the top teams here. The biggest curiosity here is how do Dube/Wolfe compare score wise, and how close are the other GP-senior teams. Bobak/Beharry are in juniors (which is where they should be, imo)

6. Dance. Dance is where it's at. Three teams are vying for the bronze medal.

a) Paul/Islam's greatest strength is their insane learning curve. The leap up from JGPs to JWs was surprising. The leap from JWs to Thornhill even more so, and from Thornhill to Nationals! Wowsa. If there is ANY team that can come back quickly from injury (recalling that they WD from CoR 2010 for injury concerns, but had two strong skates at Nationals 2011) it's this one. I don't know if they will, of course.

b) Most surprising improvement comes from Ralph/Hill. At the beginning of the season, I assumed that Orford/Williams would challenge them for the fifth spot. That's clearly not going to happen, but R/H have really pushed themselves to improve. More interesting choreography, better movement and posture and some personality shining through beyond what we've seen in the past. I think they can actually get that third spot easily but for.....

c) Gilles/Poirier. In a fair world, they'd be allowed to grow. But the hype surrounding this team is ridiculous. When asked about their potential, Lane responded, "ask again in three years." That is entirely correct and suggests she's aware of how long it takes to create a truly top flight team. On the other hand, those scores at those precursor events are really high. Much more than they deserve.

7. The reason I'm worried is not so much that G/P will take someone else's slot away - obviously, they aren't competing internationally this year. My concern is that we're gonna see a narrative forced - the "oh my god they look so good and have only been skating together for months and will be world champions one day at this rate" blah blah blah. It happened last season with Lane's crew given the full court press, and even though C/P had that terrific FD, we didn't see the international judges responding to that in the same way. Once W/P skated clean, C/P were left behind (Worlds 2011). One the one hand, we can say that the judges are giving W/P their due internationally. Realistically, there's no reason for SC to politick them down. But the scores will tell a tale anyway. I do hope that SC sees how W/P improved over the years and allow THAT to unfold naturally with G/P.

8. I'm hoping Patrick Chan has a perfect Aranjuez for Worlds. I'm more curious if he sticks to his initial plan and adds a quad salchow for Nationals. I don't think he should, but what do I know?

heyhey

On the Ice
Well IP - it seems you and I appear to be on the same wavelength for these Nationals and it will be interesting to say the least. Yes it may not be an Olympic year but it will be very telling to see if there is a push for certain skaters based on reputation etc (for the 3rd to 5th rankings). Here is my 2 cents:

- For the men - I would give the edge to Rogozine over Reynolds. I would love for Reynolds to be coached by someone besides McLeod. I would love to see him actually with Brian Orser. I am a big fan of Jeremy Ten but I don't think he will be ready mentally to compete at this stage after being injured for a prolonged period of time but hey he may be the wildcard here....

- For the pairs - The top two spots are a toss up between D/R and T-M/M. I think that both teams have different strengths and will be a good rivalry. Lawrence/Swiegers have potential and did not skate well at either Nebelhorn or their GP assignment and left a points on the table. If they skate fairly well - they should be in third. As for Dube/Wolfe - their programs are not as challenging as L/S and I thought that they were generously marked at TEB. I am also interested in seeing how they will be marked against L/S. I also find it a little strange that Dube is competing in singles.

- For dance - I am hoping that we will get to see strong performances from Paul/Islam provided that she is healthy. I also think that Ralph/Hill have improved. Obviously they benefitted when Crone/Poirier broke up and their coaching team had more time allotted to them. As for Gilles/Poirier, I also think that they have been very generously scored in local competitions - so we will see how those scores come down at Nationals.

The good thing that I am hoping to see in both dance and pairs is the variety of teams and programs. Ideally all teams skate fairly clean and we should be able to see who Skate Canada gives the inside edge to.

nadster

Final Flight
My general thoughts:

Men:

1. Chan
2. Rogozine
3. Reynolds
4. Ten
5. Can't decide but between Nam , Firus and Balde

I agree totally with heyhey on the mens side. I do hope Ten regains his jumps in time because he could finish 2nd if it happens. Ten will be no worse than 4th anyway. The one thing is that both Kevin and Andrei do tend to struggle at senior nationals.

It will also be a battle for 5th and the last national team slot between Balde, Firus and Nam for the last spot. Balde has skated badly internationally this season. Firus is in his last seaon of junior internationally but his jumps aren't even ready for the senior international circuit and his spins could be improved ( I do like his musicality, lines and basic control of the blade though ). I think that SC will think Nam has the most upside given his youth and might have the inside track for that spot even if his skating looks very juniorish at this stage.

I still want Nam to drop Mcleod as coach though. I fear he will stagnate at a critical point in his development under her.

Ladies

1. Phaneuf
2. Lacoste
3. Osmond
4. Najarro
5 . Descantis

A meh competition as far as who wins nationals though. Although Lacoste has skated better so far she tends to chokes at nationals so I think Phaneuf will win.

To me seeing the development of the top juniors and novices ( who are finally doing some harder triples than salchow and toe ) is the real excitement for me.

Let's just hope that SC chooses the right lady for JW. Personally I think Osmond is the best bet right now as she has been the most consistent this year. It is important to improve the JGP spots next year. I don't expect the max 14 whoever we send as we have no chance at being in top 3 countries. But countries 4 -6 ( ie 7 slots ) is doable and would be an improvement from the 4 we had this year. I would be very wary of sending Najarro even if she is the top finisher of those who can go to JW.

russell30

Final Flight
Did Emanuel Sandhu go to Sectionals? or was he thinking of next year? or was it a "flash in the pan" keep him in the spotlight.

:confused::confused:

russell30

Final Flight
Skate Canada must be concerned with the level of the Ladies at the moment, Phaneuf and Lacoste are not consistent enough. I wouldn't be surprised if the federation pursues Rochette to come back in the 2012-2013 season and then for Sochi that is if Joannie wants to come back.

russell30

Final Flight
I hope Orser has changed the layout of the jumps for Phaneuf in her SP and ditch the Lutz as that is not working in order to get the confidence back.

I am surprised Cynthia cannot do a triple toe triple toe, her triple toe, is so solid - extension, height and flowing edge.

I would get her to do in SP Triple loop + double toe, triple toe and double axel.