Senior Competitors and Predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Senior Competitors and Predictions

heyhey

On the Ice
Skate Canada must be concerned with the level of the Ladies at the moment, Phaneuf and Lacoste are not consistent enough. I wouldn't be surprised if the federation pursues Rochette to come back in the 2012-2013 season and then for Sochi that is if Joannie wants to come back.

If Canada wants at least a silver medal at the team event in Sochi, they will need Ms. Rochette....

heyhey

On the Ice
It will be interesting to see if Cynthia Phaneuf's packaging will change under Brian Orser. At this point over the last 2 months, I am certain that they have focused on her jumping technique and trying to get her confidence level back up. I also think that training with the likes of Javier Fernandez and the other elite skaters under Orser will have positive benefits. Hopefully she will have good outings at nationals.

hongligl

Final Flight
I don't think choreography would change much as David Wilson has been her choreographer all the way. The reason for the empty programs I guess was due to her inconsistency with the jumps and couldn't handle more complex choreograph on top of that. I'm not sure if she has skills to handle more complicated intricate choreograph as I don't remember ever seeing her did one. So I hope Tracy and Brian will give her a solid base for David to work on and then we can hope to see fundamental changes in Cynthia's skating. I'm looking forward to seeing it happening. I like her as a skater, powerful and delicate at the same time, very musical with great lines. I just want to SEE different program instead of listening to different music with practically the same moves year after year. She has the potential to be a real good skater in the international scene. Good luck Cynthia at the nationals!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Here's something I'm thrilled about ( Did anyone know this ?) Elladj Balde is training at DSC ! Whoop! Whoop!:biggrin:

My sister just phoned to tell me . Apparently she was browsing on FSU and came across an article about the DSC show and there he was ..listed as not just a guest but as training there. I'm ecstatic. I think he has so much potential but I thought he really needed a change when I saw him earlier this year. His jumps are coming back, but he needed something..discipline ? organization ?..something. I knew Camerlengo did his short program from last year ( which he kept ). I really hope this proves to be a great move for him.

ajjcanada

Rinkside
Here's something I'm thrilled about ( Did anyone know this ?) Elladj Balde is training at DSC ! Whoop! Whoop!:biggrin:

My sister just phoned to tell me . Apparently she was browsing on FSU and came across an article about the DSC show and there he was ..listed as not just a guest but as training there. I'm ecstatic. I think he has so much potential but I thought he really needed a change when I saw him earlier this year. His jumps are coming back, but he needed something..discipline ? organization ?..something. I knew Camerlengo did his short program from last year ( which he kept ). I really hope this proves to be a great move for him.

That is fantastic. I agree that he has seemed to have potential, fought through injuries, and then looked soooo weak at - which was it - Skate Canada? Whereever, it was hard to watch. I have heard that the training regime was lacking so maybe going to play with the big boys might make him realise he has to do more - from big fish, little pond at Therrien's school to the little fish in the big pond of Detroit.

And it is in his current Skate Canada Profile - with no coach listed - wonder who he is working with?
Elladj Balde
Pierrefonds, QC

Date of Birth: Nov 09, 1990
Place of Birth: Moscow, Russia
Residence: Pierrefonds, QC
Height: 5'8''
Club: Club De Patinage Des Deux-Rives
Training Site: Detroit Skating Club, MI, USA
Coach:
Choreographer: Pasquale Camerlengo, Renee Roca, Charles Klapow
Began Skating at: 7
Web Site:

In terms of ranking, I had been placing him very low based on his fall performances, but now there is some hope .... :)

Last edited:

mariposa

Rinkside
A bit off the track, but I don't see Jessica Dube listed on senior ladies anymore. Does anyone have any information?

skatingfan04

Final Flight
If I'm not mistaken, senior pracices are going on most of the day today in the main arena. If anyone has any reports/pictures, it would be greatly appreciated!:)

derplutz

Rinkside
not terribly interested in nationals this year, ill catch what i can though.

mens: battle for second. p chan should just pull out all the stops though, if he feels comfortable doing a 4S, do it. get the competition experience. i hope whoever gets second earns it with a great skate.
womens: mediocre.
dance: foregone conclusion although moms across canada will be in tears from V/M, P/W FDs
pairs: boring although it'll probably be the closest event

general: hopefully TSN does a good job with the coverage like they did when they last had it and hopefully this odd schedule change doesn't lead to below average skating from those final 6s.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Ugh, it seems skatebuzz is only going to stream the first groups.. I guess because the rest is on tsn.. but I don't get tsn. Boooooo.