Volosozhar/Trankov or Savchenko/Szolkovy? Whom do you prefer and why? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Volosozhar/Trankov or Savchenko/Szolkovy? Whom do you prefer and why?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Both Tatiana and Aliona actually skated with Morosov, intriguingly. Aliona and Stanislav Morosov went to the Olympics together (2002) and have won World Juniors (2000/01).

Right now, V/T are better than M/T simply because Maxim likes skating with Tatiana in a way that was not true with Maria.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Both Tatiana and Aliona actually skated with Morosov, intriguingly. Aliona and Stanislav Morosov went to the Olympics together (2002) and have won World Juniors (2000/01).

Right now, V/T are better than M/T simply because Maxim likes skating with Tatiana in a way that was not true with Maria.

I agree. Trankov looks much happier both on ice and off ice now. He says he likes skating with Volosozhar and it is not as stressful because he doesn't fight with her as much and feels that his voice is being heard and he is an equal. He often said before that Vasiliev took Maria's side in almost all arguments. At least he is happy.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Oh I think V/T are better than M/T and have more potential too. But I'm saying it was "a risk" (well kind of )

What you say here is very interesting. Regarding "I don't feel the same about V/M." Do you mean V/T? I myself have been scratching my head over the question of "is Tatiana so much better than Maria?" Admittedly, Maria's jumps weren't consistent and her twist not as high as Tatiana's, but M/T were a beautiful pair.

I did not have the knowledge you have about how S/S teamed up. So both S/S and V/T went through a similar process.

No i was talking about Tatiana and Morosov. i was saying that while I think Trankov and Maria could have ended up on a world/Olympic podium; I don't think Tatiana and Morosov would have.

Yes Tatiana and Aliona had similar paths. They shared partners (and two coaches). Both are from the Ukraine. Both were considered incredible female pairs skaters, and most have felt it was a pity that the Ukranian federation could not produce a male pairs skater worthy of them. Morosov had the privilege of skating with the two best female pairs skaters of his generation. But I think Aliona's situation another trajectory would be think Marina Anissina. Very talented Junior World Champ, puts out feelers to people she's seen before to get a partner because she can't find one in her home country. Ends up with someone who impressed her at Junior Worlds.

Robin had no partner at the time (much less a partner of Maria's caliber) and was considering retiring. Trying things out with a former Junior World Champ was hardly this big gamble for him. Aliona strikes me as a very ambitious young lady and likely would not have agreed to skate with Robin if she didn't think she could be successful with him. Any more than I suspect Marina would have gone with Gwendol. Neither strikes me as people who would be okay with a "rent a Russian/Ukranian" situation. They wanted to win. And both Robin and Gwendol had been successful enough in their home countries. Robin won German Nationals with a previous partner, that there was no need to rent a skater just to finish well at their own Nationals.
I'm sure the Russians would have been interested in her as well (given how talented she was regarded as) Her and Robin won German Nationals their first year together. And in the next year at their international debuts were 4th at Euros, and 6th at worlds respectively a year later when Aliona was allowed to compete. And some felt they should have placed higher than 6th at the Worlds (but they were a new team) So really not this big gamble; they were successful very very quickly.

Just as Gwendol and the French knew they were getting an extremely talented young skater when Anisina made the move. The Germans, Robin, Steuer knew they were getting a very talented skater when they encouraged Aliona to move countries.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I prefer S/S just because I feel like I've been able to see their evolution over time and am kind of attached to them- I really want them to succeed through the next Oly cycle. However, both teams are fantastic and I'm thoroughly enjoying the rivalry :)