Scott Moir says its a piss off | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Scott Moir says its a piss off

skateflower

Match Penalty
Actually, I do.

Do you expect Davis and White them to come out with a retaliatory rant about how much better they are than Virtue and Moir and how pissed off they are to beat such an inferior team by only a few hundredths of a point?

Just wait if they can cement their #1 position at the worlds. We shall see afterwards.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I thought that Terry Gannon on Univeral Sports today kind of put his co-commentator, the now Black haired Tanith Belbin, on the spot when he asked her about the rivalry today. She diplomatically said something about skaters really compete against themselves more than each other, which is of course true. The cold hard fact is he lost the long skate today by just a tad....just like he lost the long skate at the Olympics....I feel sorry for him that his mouth is full of sour grapes. It must suck to be him and feel that way. I think the Shib sibs were robbed of a placement, but I bet they dont come out and say things like he did. Being disappointed is normal and human. Sour grapes is a charactor flaw. Like Michael Weiss said today when he was doing the commentary for the mens long, (a very rough paraphrase as he is a nicer person than I am) put your brain in gear before your mouth.... It is interesting that Chan in a post skate interview said how much he appreciated the Canadian fans...after saying Canada didnt appreciate him and he was thinking about skating for China....

KKonas

Medalist
Well, since I have covered their careers since they were juniors, I can say that Meryl & Charlie are too classy for this kind of rhetoric.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Sorry, but how often did Stojko complain about 1994? Or B/K in general about the evil Russians (even by 2010, it was clear that Kraatz still nursed that chip).

re: W/P - given that Andrew did put his foot down on the last lift that lost them a level and dropped them below 100, I think they're focusing on what they can do to improve. They seemed happy to be higher than before.

Actually Elvis accepted his controversial (and IMO incorrect) silver in 1994 with class and style. Eventually he spoke out how it was frusterating his style wasnt accepted and that always cost him in close decisions, after the media badgered him endlessly about it. That in no way compares to the non stop mouths of Chan and even Scott Moir today.

B/K spoke about bloc judging in the Nagano Olympic season. Hello there was bloc judging, it was clear as day, Tracy Wilson on NBC broke down the ordinals and proved beyond any doubt a 5 country block existing. As it was I agreed with the placements in Nagano, including Bourne & Kraatz's overall 4th (and would have had their OD something like 7th or 8th) but it still is perfectly within reason that someone who sacrificed everything for that season is coming in as a medal contender and reigning World medalist and there is bloc judging against them from rival nations. Again nothing comparable to todays classless Superstars of Canada of today who whine if they arent treated like the Worlds royal highness at each waking moment.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Eh, they complained a lot. They complained about judging at events where even the Canadian judge ranked them below the Russians. Stojko complained about the judges didn't get his artistry. I'll definitely give you Chan on that front, and Scott's comments rankles, but grouping B/K and Stojko has a cut above them strikes me as odd - I'd argue they were equal to Scot anyway. There's definitely been a gear shift in how Canadian sportspeople act, though. Heck - you could go back to Donovan Bailey if you wanted to see the beginning of that trend.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The only thing Scott said that I'm annoyed about is claiming he & Tessa have been the best artistic skaters in the world for 5 years-in other words, since 2007, their first year in seniors. So in 2007, he thinks he was more artistic than Denkova & Staviyski, who were truly awesome in that year? Or more than Delobel & Schoenfelder for that matter?

Jeezum. Crow.

Last edited:

skateflower

Match Penalty
The only thing Scott said that I'm annoyed about is claiming he & Tessa have been the best artistic skaters in the world for 5 years-in other words, since 2007. So in 2007, he thinks he was more artistic than Denkova & Staviyski, who were truly awesome in that year? Or more than Delobel & Schoenfelder for that matter?

Jeezum. Crow.

They always believe they were very very special from the very beginning. The Canadian commentators have been hyping them for years by telling everybody they're a once-in-a-life time pair.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The only thing Scott said that I'm annoyed about is claiming he & Tessa have been the best artistic skaters in the world for 5 years-in other words, since 2007. So in 2007, he thinks he was more artistic than Denkova & Staviyski, who were truly awesome in that year? Or more than Delobel & Schoenfelder for that matter?

Jeezum. Crow.

You're misunderstanding him, I think. At least, I hope - I think he means that of the ice dancers in the past five years, he and Tessa are the most artistic. Which isn't a crazy assertion.

And I'd rank "Valse Triste" ahead of "Bonnie and Clyde" every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I loathe "Bonnie and Clyde" though.

CassAgain

On the Ice
It's not a crazy assertion; it would just sound a whole lot less bitter coming from others about their team rather than Scott labeling themselves. Artistry is so subjective anyway.

skateflower

Match Penalty
I truly believe V/M think D/W are inferior to them. To an untrained eye, D/W appear quite sloppy with no unison and unappealing lines. I compare them to K/S in pairs skating.

zizi31

Rinkside
Wow. Very poor sportsmanship. I don't think they're better than D/W at all. I think they're about neck and neck. V/M would do well to reign in the arrogance and show a bit more class.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They always believe they were very very special from the very beginning. The Canadian commentators have been hyping them for years by telling everybody they're a once-in-a-life time pair.

I remember the uproar when they were beaten in juniors by Senft & Gislaison. There was a thread that went on for 50 pages or so about a jr team national event.

Never believe your own adoring press. They were not better than Denkova & Staviyski. Nor in 2007, than Dubreuil & Lauzon.

A certain level of self confidence is a great thing in an athlete, but there's a point where you don't improve because you think you are perfect already. Which is never a smart place to be. IMO.

jcoates

Medalist
I remember the uproar when they were beaten in juniors by Senft & Gislaison. There was a thread that went on for 50 pages or so about a jr team national event.

Never believe your own adoring press. They were not better than Denkova & Staviyski. Nor in 2007, than Dubreuil & Lauzon.

A certain level of self confidence is a great thing in an athlete, but there's a point where you don't improve because you think you are perfect already. Which is never a smart place to be. IMO.

Amen Doris.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Do you think Scott's self confidence is impeding their growth?

prettykeys

Medalist
All champions are pissed when they lose, like Plushenko and even humble Takahashi. That's why they are champions. Then don't like to lose and they get motivated when they do. They just express their feelings differently, some more diplomatically than others. Honesty doesn't make them classless. Trashing the winners would. But I don't see Tessa and Scott doing it here.
I cannot imagine either Plushenko or Takahashi (definitely NOT Takahashi) ever saying the kinds of things that Moir said here. I'm disappointed.

skateflower

Match Penalty

V/M said in a recent interview that they were very upset about not being sent to 2006 Olys. They implied they deserved that spot. Who else were sent together with D/L?