Programs crossing disciplines | Golden Skate

Programs crossing disciplines

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
For many years, I've often wondered how certain skaters would do one another's programs (I used to wonder how MK would do Slutskaya's Tosca...and one day, there it was!). Now, I wonder what some people's programs would look like if they were tried by other disciplines. So, here are some crossovers that I'm curious about:

Savchenko/Szolkowy's "Pina" FS-- I'd love to see Virtue and Moir, or the Shibutanis try this one.

Volozoshar/Trankov's Black Swan-- Weaver and Poje or Davis and White

Mirai's Spartacus--Savchenko and Szolkowy

Carolina's Mozart-- Virtue and Moir or Patrick Chan

Takahashi's Blues-- Alissa Czisny

What music would you like to see cross disciplines?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Do you just mean using the same music?

Similar concept with new choreography suited to the new skater?

Exact same choreography? (Tough if one program has one skater and another has two)

Exact same choreography except for adjustments to specific elements or time limits as required by the rules of the new discipline?

lcd

Match Penalty
Great thread concept, and so frustrating actually that the RULES actually create so many limits, especially for the ice dancers. Was at the Final and noticed that music for so many of the pairs like Claire de Lune would be amazing to see performed by several of the dance teams (Virtue and Moir, Shibutanis) but such music technically cannot be used because of the absence of an audible beat. I thought so many of the pairs used beautiful music that would be great to see permitted once again in dance to a certain extent.

Likewise, while I would love to see some of the the pairs take on more "dancey" music, THEIR rules simply make it too difficult for them to have as much in the way of connections and dance segments for interpretation because of the demands of going from one end to the other with technical moves/lifts which travel the length of the rink and jumps.

Shame to an extent, but I suppose this is how these disciplines remain distinct and have co-evolved.

gkelly

Record Breaker
We can turn the short program into the "compulsory" program where everyone performs the same moves, to CARMEN!

I know these are free programs, but I think that the the following should be templates from which the moves are drawn for each discipline:

Ladies

Men

Danse

Last edited by a moderator:

ivy

On the Ice
I have to admit that I don't keep track of this stuff too well and almost never go back and watch old programs (I'm a bad fs fan :( ). Overall I think there is way too much musical repitition - even music I like. Give me something new! Once more then 2 or 3 skaters have performed to a piece - let it go unless you're gonna give me some new insight into the music - and that's alot to ask of a SP or FS.

Despite that the 2 pieces that came to mind for me were both MK FS's - The Red Violin and The Miraculous Mandarin. I liked that they were sort of disonate and complicated. Not pretty but moody. Dai is my first thought - not sure about the politics of a Japanese skater skating to music about a Chinese character writen by a Hungarian composer. Maybe Jeremy? Maybe I rather have those artist find something fresh and some of the youngster still learning PCS skills can work on them - Hanyu and Song?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Same music, but total reinterpretation.

Skaters from different disciplines have used the same music lots of times. For instance: Takahashi's Blues for Klook is a very, very well worn warhorse. Usova and Zhulin used it way back in the day. Weaver and Poje more recently. Lucindah Ruh and Alexei Yagudin used it for pro programs. And there are many others.

Score to Black Swan is being used by Ashley Wagner this very season, to go with V/T's version. Although I'd rather not be reminded of that awful, silly movie ever again.

The more unique suggestions in the first post:

Can't think of anybody else who used Carolina's Mozart piece.

Pina's score is relatively new (the movie just came out this year, but some of the music pieces existed long before). So for now, S/S has it to themselves.