SOI presented by Samsung | Page 2 | Golden Skate

SOI presented by Samsung

skateluvr

Record Breaker
So Toni, what do you hear about Liza...?yes, sure Daria was skating with all her doubles, then quit for other things. I think I saw katia on Tv last year saying Daria was going to college. I wonder where? I know she loves Russia and wonder if maybe she is studying there or has stayed close to her parents in CA. She was given every opportunity I am sure, very lucky lady. So attractive, like her father especially.

I wonder if SOI audiences will see Katia and Ilia skate together. I hope they do as SOI may not go on after this year. Just guessing-no inside info.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So Toni, what do you hear about Liza...?

Um, I don't? Bradenburg has more info than I ever would. My skating knowledge - for the most part - comes from published articles, and I don't follow skating "lower" than Novice... and even then it's sketchy.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Wonderful! thank you Brandenburg! Can you say what school? No stalkers here i hope!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
HMMMM when does something become "public knowledge." This is confusing to me frankly. Do you mean that people who are in skating and maybe know the skaters cannot talk about their general lives. Must it be published offnet in some austere or dubious publication? This is quite vague area to me.:scratch:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
HMMMM when does something become "public knowledge." This is confusing to me frankly. Do you mean that people who are in skating and maybe know the skaters cannot talk about their general lives. Must it be published offnet in some austere or dubious publication? This is quite vague area to me.:scratch:

Once again the forum guidelines are a great resource. If it isn't published by a reliable source then no it can't be given up. I can come on and say that I'm besties with Kurt Browning's neice and then go on to tell intimate details, even if it's not true, so just by saying "hey I know them" isn't typically good enough. If Daria's info has been publisized by the school, Daria herself, or her parents - and the info can be sourced - then it's fair game.

Golden Skate is more than just a forum, it's a news source, and not a tabloid one at that.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I see more clearly...but I would say "tabloid" has no meaning anymore and for a long time. When for example ABC,CBS, and NBC consistently covered in local and national news stories about Lindsay Lohan's drug/court dramas...or Charlie Sheen's antics...there is no such distinction anymore between "Serious Journalism" and Star magazine for example.

So that is an important distinction perhaps between how GS sees itself and FSU? I don't think FSU bills itself as a "news source?" Or does it? It seems a forum but by and large the threads are the same though one forum is larger in numbers.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I
So that is an important distinction perhaps between how GS sees itself and FSU? I don't think FSU bills itself as a "news source?" Or does it? It seems a forum but by and large the threads are the same though one forum is larger in numbers.

FSU is a forum. period... the Golden Skate FORUM is one part of GOLDENSKATE[dot]COM.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Goldenskate publishes interviews with skaters and articles by journalists on events, and also sends out a newsletter; consequently it is a news source. Our reporters attend events with real journalist credentials.

Don't just skip to The Forum; check out our front pages at

http://www.goldenskate.com ;)

FSU is a forum. GS is a hybrid sort of beast.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Really. Wow. And who are the journalist posters here on GS? I see you are an expert on ice dance and attend many events, plus moderate here. Are you a journalist? And what gets a jounalist in FS "credentialed" I wonder? Are there fans here that get paid for attending the events and writing up a report for Paula to later author? I can't imagine a better job than being Christine Brennan, or someone with her life.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm just a lowly, unpaid moderator. And a huge fan of all things ice dance.

The site owner of Golden Skate uses a number of reporters. A quick check of bylines on articles about this year's events shows:

At Russian Nationals & Cup of Russia, our reporter & photographer was Anna Kondakova.
The reporter at the GPF, NHK, Cup of China, Skate Canada, & at TEB was Tatjana Flade & photographer was Robin Ritoss.
The reporter at Skate America was Elvin Walker, photographer was Robin Ritoss.

If I knew how one qualifies and gets such a job, I'd go for it myself :)

If you'd like to read back issues of Golden Skate articles on events, and interviews with skaters, they are here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/category/news/

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Well, anyway they came to Japan with some shows and Japanese skaters as guests skaters: www.tv-tokyo.co.jp//soi2012/index.html
I didn't plan to go because I never really liked SOI. Slow, boring, typical exhibitions numbers, same sparkling costumes but of different colors and, which is the main point, most of the skaters are not in a good sport form. But after the shows in Osaka last weekend I read in J-press and on fan forums that Daisuke showed his SP (that I haven't seen this season live, only on TV) and his old exhibition number Roxanne, and that Hanyu was on the list of guest skaters too. So, this Tuesday I bought a ticket for a Tokyo show. Best tickets (arena) were naturally sold out but I was surprised that there were tickets available for the first bowl. Today, just before the show, I saw the line for a ticket office, also many seats were empty in the second bowl. It's not a norm in Japan. Usually all tickets for FS events are sold out during the first days. Probably I am not the only one who thinks that SOI is not that exciting. Anyway, from foreign skaters I got what I expected: two jumps 3T and 2A as the only jumps performed (if you see a 3S, you are lucky) plus a final spin. Todd was just impossible to watch- dull to death. Pretty much the same can be said about Bradly. Sasha put on much weight and couldn't jump anything at all, not even a single jump. She did a spin and the rest of the time she was either sitting or lying on the ice. Buttle was very mannerish, like a ballerina, and slow, but he could land a 3lutz. Joanne was usual. I liked Katya Gordeeva. I haven't seen her for ages, and she hasn't been a competitive skater for almost two decades. Nevertheless she was very fast, smooth, elegant, with good original spins and footwork, jumps were only doubles (2loop and 2t if I remember correctly). But at her age of 40 she was really amasing. Next to her Kerr-sister was like a heavy cow, even if she is not supposed to be since she is an ice-dancer. Kurt was funny, did some steps and a bunch of abnormally huge 2A. Of course it's just a 2A but I'd rather watch it in Kurt's performance because it was a quality jump (especially for a short men with short legs the height of the jump was wow!), than to see some so-so 3T from jeffrys, todds, ryans and others. Is anybody else skating at his age of 45? Chinese Tong/Pang showed Liebestraume and they were quite clean. Narumi/Tran surprisingly landed a throw jump, probably because it was her birthday. Shizuka seems like she is losing her form. In Osaka at Nationals gala I noticed she was quite shaky. Today she landed what she wanted, singled an axel, but her gorgeous spins and spirals are gone. Even her trademark ina bauer that she could do through all the rink was only for a couple of meters. Miki showed "Mission", she was good, clean and looked confident. Kozuka was with his Cello Song and did what he could, still this guy is not inspiring for the audience. Kanako landed a combo 3-3 but fell on a 3lutz. Mao was a true ice beauty, fairy and magic. She tried 3F-3l but failed. The fisrt jump had a shaky landing, she added a single turn, then did a 2T. The rest of the program was beautiful. Hanyu skated his SP and was perfect. He landed 4T-3T (it was the only quad in a show, and in combo), nailed 3A, 3lutz and all the rest. The choice of music is very right for him this season. Both programs, SP and FS, as if the music was written specially for him. Dai skated Roxanne, landed 3A, 3F, 3T and was just Dai. What else would you expect. The announcer announced him "the dramatic, the Daisuke Takahashi!". That article "the" before his name said a lot. A lovely afternoon I had today in Yoyogi. :) Videos were not allowed. But later today TV Tokyo will show the stuff, then no doubt it will be on youtube.
upd. Yeah, vids here, from TV Tokyo broadcast of Saturday show. Btw, yesterday Mao landed 3F-3L but 3L was UR I think:
Mao "Jupiter":
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlDi2ryghL4
Dai "Roxanne":
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M34FeOxhI4

Last edited:
Thanks so much for such a detailed report! I feel as if I was there.

I'm sorry that some of the skaters seemed off, especially Shizuka, one of my very favorites. If her spins and spirals were that much diminished, it sounds as if she's battling an injury or an illness, not as if she's lost her skills. Skaters who start falling off usually lose jumps but retain other skills for awhile. This seems so sudden and complete. At least, that's what I hope! I'd hate for her to be going downhill.

Katia hasn't had jumps for a long time, but I've gotten the feeling that she works and trains very diligently, and her footwork and other skills have always struck me as good, so I'm glad to hear from you that this is true. She's been known for her almost uncanny speed and lightness throughout her career. Thank goodness this is still true! I imagine that she must be a very charismatic performer.

The same for Kurt. This guy seems to live for the ice, and he must really train hard to maintain his skills at his age--he doesn't just phone it in. With his appeal, he could almost get by with just (to quote Death of a Salesman) a smile and a shoeshine. It's a great tribute to Kurt that he strives so hard to do his very best. Like you, I've always loved watching his double axels as much as many other people's triples, because they're so fast. How great to hear that they're also high in the air. He's still amazing!

I'm thrilled to hear about Daisuke and Mao. The fact that Mao is doing so well, after her bereavement and also her difficult season last year, is wonderful. And Daisuke! Hooray. I hope that their performance level stays up and even improves, so that they both win Worlds.

ETA: Thanks to you, I just watched both videos. Splendid! Takahashi rocked that music, and I don't even like the music, basically--I just love what he does with it. Mao made me cry plain and simple. The emotion of the piece was one thing (and this is one of my favorite pieces, as it happens, both in its orchestral "Jupiter" version and as the hymn "I Vow to Thee My Country"), but look also at her blade control, how long she can get a glide to continue on a single blade. She's just spectacular, and I do hope she wins everything in sight from now to Sochi.

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
That glide of Mao's is stupendous. She is such a lovely skater and I hope she wins everything too.