Dark Horse predictions anyone? | Golden Skate

Dark Horse predictions anyone?

alicelouise

Rinkside
:) In the Ladies competition the same names get bandied about as the favorites (Kwan, Cohen, Kirk, McD, Nikodinov). Is there anyone who could come out of nowhere to upset the apple cart and finish in the top 3 a la NNN in 1998 and Sasha Cohen in 2000? What about the skater who finished 2nd to Nikodinov in the Sectionals?

I'm pretty sure it will be Weiss and Goebel for 1 and 2. What about #3? That seems to be pretty wide open. Any new faces that could sneak on the podium.

It seems that Pairs and Dance will not have many surprises.

mpal2

Final Flight
I would love to see Don & Hunt move up the ranks. I thought that most of their problems at Nats last year was due to timing because they hadn't skated together that long. Hopefully, they'll stay together as a team long enough to make a mark for US Pairs.

sk8m8

Final Flight
perhaps Inoe and Baldwin as the pairs champions. Scott and Duhlibon just aren't cutting it and have had many years to mature and develop behind Ina and Zimmerman.

I like Rena and John's connection and "feel" on the ice, and they placed as well as S &D in their GP comps, perhaps even better considering their competition. All of this is, of course, my opinion.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I would love to see Inoe and Baldwin take top honors.....42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Angela will once again be on the podium... anymore she is a definate dark horse :(

Nadine

Record Breaker
This is a tough one....

And by that I mean in the sense that though I would like Jennifer Kirk to get the bronze (since I've always had a soft spot for her), I really wouldn't mind A-P McDonough either ~ whichever one gets it will be quite alright w/me (no lie).

But (always that but :D ), I have to be honest and say that for a DARK HORSE PICK, I'd like none other than Yebin Mok to come out and put on a performance of a lifetime (no lie)........has the most beautiful jumps of ALL the US ladies IMHO.......powerful, correct edge, high, neat, clean, flowing, GOREGEOUS! And to go with that is her lovely presentation & beautiful tall/long-limbed/lithe body. Would love to see more of her - I just know that she has it in her to skate soulfully & expressively - aaahhh. Anyhow, she's my "dark horse pick" (lol).

Peace & Love, Nadine

:love:GOOOOOOOO YEBIN, JENNIFER, A-P FOR THAT MUCH COVETED 3RD SPOT!:love:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I like Ye Bin Mok, too. I'd love to see her on the podium.

Not to tempt the skate gods at all, but, please, oh please, let Matt Savoie skate REALLY well and be justly rewarded :D

Laura :)

guinevere

Final Flight
alicelouise said:
I'm pretty sure it will be Weiss and Goebel for 1 and 2. What about #3? That seems to be pretty wide open. Any new faces that could sneak on the podium.
Although Weiss and Goebel as 1-2 (in either order) makes sense, I don't think it's a given. I think there is an excellent opportunity for the rest of the US men's field this year. Between Goebel's ongoing boot problems and Weiss pattern of slopping through programs and picking up medals when everyone else does worse, anyone who can skate 2 clean programs has a great chance to stand on the podium- and not just for the bronze.

I am super psyched to see the men's competition - I hope it doesn't turn into the disaster that last year's did!!

Rooting for: *Savoie*, Weir, Jahnke, Derrick Delmore, and even for Goebel and Weiss to skate so well I eat my words!!

guinevere

ps in Ladies, I think Ye Bin Mok is a great dark horse candidate. Would like either her or Jenny on the podium (actually both, along with Michelle)

youarewhipped

Match Penalty
I don' t think they'll be any "dark horses" at nats this year because the top spots are going to skaters who are acomplished regardless since there are so many (at least for women).

Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen obviously aren't dark horses....

Angela? She has three national medals and won 4C, almost medalled at Worlds (3rd in the short, 5th overall after botching the long). I wouldn't call her a dark horse...maybe that injury though.

Jenny? She's been in the spotlight for a while, top 5 at nationals, Skate America silver, JW Champ, 4C Champ--I'd say that's pretty accomplished.

AP? JW Champ, JW Silver, 4th at nats, Skate America? or Canada? 2nd last year, has beaten Cohen, Hughes and even international stars like Arakawa, Slutskaya and Sokolova. Not a dark horse.

Yeah sure there's Ye Bin and Bebe maybe even Louann or Danielle could surprise us--but do you see it in such a deep field? Unlikely.

Men

What a toss up. The field has gotten deeper though, I think Evan will produce his first national medal at senior, maybe Johnny Weir. Other than that, I see no major breakthrews.

Pairs

Pretty competitive this year--I/B, S/D, O/L, D/H, S/D all have gotten better. It should be interesting for once. I don't like S/D and they could be knocked off the top by another pair, especially I/B or D/H if they skate mediocre programs. I think the medallists will be D/H, I/B and S/D (in no paticular order), I'm not sure how O/L are doing but don't count them out--they are strong singles skaters, just a little inexperienced. S/J just don't have the jumps right now, but will be up there.

Dance

Interesting between L/T and B/A. I like L/T better, but B/A have been doing very well this season. 3rd place is a toss up, in terms of new faces are Matthews and Zavonvin senior? If so they'll do well. I guess basically everyone in dance is a dark horse, at least by int'l standards.

shine

Record Breaker
I'm rooting for MATTY SAVOIE all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope he makes the team and shows the world that the USA has not only got the likes of Goebel and Weiss to offer.
And Ye Bin Mok too. Hopefully Stiegler/Cording will make everybody proud and skate well enough to be shown on TV this time. It'd be nice if Angela could also finally redeem herself and the old glory of 2001!
GO MY BELOVED UNDERDOGS!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I believe McDonough beat Arakawa at the 02 Skate America, but when did McDonough beat Slutskaya?

Last edited:

youarewhipped

Match Penalty
Yes, AP did beat Irina....

last year's ABC USFSA Whatever Challenge held in CT last Spring I believe...I just watched the tape to check and here it is...

1.) Michelle--pop loop, very unusual--an uninspiring skate for Michelle
2.) Fumie-perfect other than a 2ft on a 3f--should have won
3.) Sasha--meltdown, not deserving of third
4.) AP--also should have been higher--7 triples, DA, 3z-2l--skated first
5.) Irina--doubled a lutz, hand down on 2nd lutz

I forget the rest....
6th Elena? and 7th Shizuka?