It was a sad sort of event. | Golden Skate

It was a sad sort of event.

verte76

On the Ice
It was a sad sort of event because of Alissa's last-place finish.:confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2:

True, but she'll be back up to par for U.S. nationals.

Plus, you have to give Carolina Kostner her props for two fine performances. :yes:

I think what made it a sad event was the awareness that Mao was missing, and for such a devastating reason. I understand the feelings about Alissa's finish, of course. She was doing so well, and it seemed as if her old fears were coming back. But because her difficulties were caused by an injury, we can have hopes that this result was a temporary aberration. Mao's setback, on the other hand, cannot be remedied. I'm sure she will resume her excellent skating, but what she has suffered is not something that can be undone.

What a tough year it has been for Japanese skating. From the earthquake to the tsunami to the radiation and the economic dislocation, and now Mao and Mai's bereavement, even skaters who have done well have surely been shaken by what has happened to their teammates and compatriots. When I was in my first year of college, four students died in unrelated circumstances during that term. I didn't know any of them, but the events made us all feel shaken and vulnerable in our own lives. What Japan's young people endured this year has been dramatically more intense than that. It has to have affected them.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think what made it a sad event was the awareness that Mao was missing, and for such a devastating reason. I understand the feelings about Alissa's finish, of course. She was doing so well, and it seemed as if her old fears were coming back. But because her difficulties were caused by an injury, we can have hopes that this result was a temporary aberration. Mao's setback, on the other hand, cannot be remedied. I'm sure she will resume her excellent skating, but what she has suffered is not something that can be undone.

What a tough year it has been for Japanese skating. From the earthquake to the tsunami to the radiation and the economic dislocation, and now Mao and Mai's bereavement, even skaters who have done well have surely been shaken by what has happened to their teammates and compatriots. When I was in my first year of college, four students died in unrelated circumstances during that term. I didn't know any of them, but the events made us all feel shaken and vulnerable in our own lives. What Japan's young people endured this year has been dramatically more intense than that. It has to have affected them.

:thumbsup:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I too has been wondering what's up with whatever has hit the Japanese skaters this year. It's like a cycle when things just happen, environmentally or personally, either good or bad, depending on the cycle. Takahashi has been doing well though. Good for him.

verte76

On the Ice
Yeah Alissa's finish was due to an aberration, an injury. Mao's was due to a death in the family if I'm not mistaken.