Canadian ladies vs. other disciplines | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canadian ladies vs. other disciplines

Simoncat

Rinkside
Canada needs a number of things to improve its results. One is definitely more competition opportunities with finals,but the problem goes further. Canada needs to stop propping up its "chosen" lady. We have a good example right now. Whether her skate was good or not,Amelie Won and Cynthia didn't,and Cynthia behaved badly because she expects to win in Canada whether she skates well or not. For years,very good ladies have beaten their heads against a sure thing and have moved on to pairs or out of the sport when they could have been at the top of the heap.Im hoping that Amelie knocks the wind out of the queen at 4C and that next year Katelyn and one or two others come rocketing up and knock both out of the arena. The problem starts at the provincial Sections and continues right up to the top levels of Canadian skating. If our ladies were continually forced to meet the competition this wouldn't be happening.Isn't it ironic that the US champion changes yearly depending on her skte while ours go on forever however she skates?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^Didn't we just have a change in Canadian Ladies Champion? I'm pimping the runner up here.

OTOH, I'm very happy there is no need to have a change in Men's champion.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really beautiful. Doesn't hurt that she's also quite striking and always very tasteful in her costumes, hair, and make-up, and yes, I am partial to her build as well. Her landings like that make me sigh, love them.

Cynthia has had some very bad costumes that do not flatter her body at all. Her hair is often too severe and it gives her a masculine look. Sometimes she looks to me like a female John Travolta.

mmcdermott

On the Ice
They're doing a feature on this topic right now on CBC during the Junior World's broadcast. A lot of issues were raised by different people they talked to.

Jennifer Robinson mentioned confidence issues, that girls are more affected by people telling them they're not good enough, they're too tall, etc.

Josee Chouinard said that there are more sports open to girls now (e.g. Hockey). Tessa Bonhomme said she may have gone into figure skating but all her friends were playing street hockey.

They also talked a lot about the challenges of growth spurts and girls losing confidence and interest when they get older and aren't able to do the jumps as easily when their bodies change. They talked about how this is a big confidence issue, and girls need more support in getting through this phase (something that boys don't have to deal with, and I imagine is less of a problem for Asian ladies as well). It seems like this is a bit problem in the US as well.

Another point that Tracy Wilson mentioned is that young people now have a lot more challenges with school and future career plans and may give up on sports to concentrate on school. And there is the cost issue as well.

I imagine that a lot of these issues combined lead to girls not succeeding in skating as much as boys do in Canada.