Who are your all-time favorite ice dancers? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who are your all-time favorite ice dancers?

verte76

On the Ice
Some of my other favorites are Rahkommo and Kokko, Anissina and Peizerat, and especially Drobiazko and Vanagas. It's hard to pick favorites. Ice dance is my favorite skating discipline!

meem

On the Ice
Thanks to whoever posted the link to Klimova & Ponomarenko's Champions on Ice performance. I believe I saw them perform that piece in early '94 during a Tour of Champions show (but I swear they used the cape through the entire performance...maybe they altered it a bit after that competition?). I saw them again in COI in early '96 (I think) when they performed Masquerade Waltz which was just stunning (looking at the video now on youtube, when Sergei picked Marina up and had her lying across his shoulders and spun around it reminded me of Davis & White's current FD). K&P are my all time, top of the list, favorite ice dancers. I was just thinking what they would have done with twizzles if they existed in their performing days. My second favorite ice dancing team is Davis & White...maybe because their skating reminds me of K&P?? and I guess I'm one of the few skate fans who didn't love B&K until they went to Morisov and won Worlds...he took the fussiness out of their style that I found so unappealing and their skating became smooth and serious (a lot of folks thought he turned them into the Russian style but I didn't think so). I used to love pairs mostly and tolerated the other disciplines but in the past few years ice dancing has become my favorite. Can't wait for Worlds!

Bruin714

On the Ice
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this question is somewhat related: In terms of speed, how does the top teams in the world today compare to the past champions? For example, is Davis & White faster than Grishuk and Platov?

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Perhaps you could blame S&Z for their consistently picking music that does not appeal to everyone. Or perhaps it is their own taste. Or both. I'm in no position to know.

Sometimes Marina picks the music and sometimes V&M pick it. Mahler was suggested by Marina and V&M listened to it and liked it. Pink Floyd was V&M's choice, as was Funny Face. I don't know about their other programs. If Marina is suggesting, she will give them two or three pieces to choose from but she has a favourite among those suggested.

I'd love to hear someone answer the question about comparative speed of today's champions and former ones.

One thing that's great about skating right now is that I think I had a favorite ice dance team ever (Klimova/Ponomarenko), but when D/W and V/M came along, they became contenders for favorites. That says something about the dynamism of ice dance.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this question is somewhat related: In terms of speed, how does the top teams in the world today compare to the past champions? For example, is Davis & White faster than Grishuk and Platov?

I'd say they're on the same level, but D/W do more complex stuff in the elements at speed, which makes theirs more noteworthy. On the other hand, I think G/P had the best running edges of anyone ever. Some of their bladework is remarkable. And I think Usova/Zhulin had some of the purest edges ever. Love watching their compulsories.

meem, I'd watch B/K's "Adagio" and G/P's "Requiem" back to back. You're gonna see Morosov definitely raiding the Tarasova well (to be fair, she coached them too for a while) without improving some of their weaknesses (her posture, relatively simple dance).

meem

On the Ice
I just watched B/K's adagio and G/P's requiem. G/P's seemed much more difficult technically but now I remember how much I disliked that FD back in '98 with Grishuk continuously skating through his legs and Platov wrapping his arm around her neck (a la Chris Dean). But wow - they were flying across the ice nonstop. I'm no judge of ice dancing but of the two videos I just watched, I preferred B/K's adagio...and I liked the big change in B/K's style from previous years when their tippy tapping skating drove me crazy :>) I was glad they won Worlds and then very disappointed to learn Bourne didn't want to go pro and they split up.

Triplethreat16

Rinkside
Sorry for dragging up this old thread. I'm fairly new to this board.

My favorites are Torvill & Dean, Grishuk & Platov & Usova and Zhulin. I miss the days when they all skated! Torvill & Dean's creativity can not be matched in my opinion and Grishuk & Platov's speed, edges & passion was wonderful! I love G&P programs from 97!

romanoff81

Match Penalty
D&W are fast but Virtue and Moir have a purity of the blade not seen since klimova and Ponomarenko and their lines are unmatched.

Thanks for bringing up Silverstein and Pekarek. They were wonderful. I was also sorry when their partnership came to an end.

Though I loved Virtue and Moir's Mahler program, I was kind of taken aback to realize that it was Zoueva who had chosen that music. That was the music Katia Gordeyeva used for her eulogy to Sergei Grinkov in his memorial program. It had such powerful meaning in that context. Moreover Mahler's music in general has always seemed to me to belong only to profound and emotional situations, not to ordinary competitions or performances. The thing is, it was Zoueva who choreographed Gordeyeva's program. I would have thought that to her of all people, that music could not be recycled. Does anyone know if Zoueva has ever commented on this music choice for V/M?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Rob McCall and Tracy Wilson, Klimova and Pomarenko and Bestmianova and Bukin fromthe 1988 Olympics all had such wonderful different looks and were great. I saw a show on the 1988 oLYMPICS and was like wow. i came into skating in the 1990's but wow. there were some wonderful dancers from the past.