Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Who are your all-time favorite ice dancers?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Olympia, I have no problem with Gershwin's music for S'Wonderful, it's the lyrics. And it's the same with Temptation in the SD-if I keep hearing "Everything is made from beans, the mental image I get is not of romance, but of elementary school jokes. In fact, to dispel the beans image, I looked up the lyrics to find out that "Everything is made from dreams," a much more satisfactory romantic image. Unfortunately, that's what I still hear when I listen to Krall. Beans. Maybe jeans. But not dreams. No M.

In fact, I wish they went back to no lyrics for ice dance, since it is so often the lyrics that spoil the piece for me-
    the Martin Luther King speech in A&P's 2002 FD
    The caterwauling Je t'aime in Umbrelllas
    The beans
    The stupid convention of sticking a s on a number of words because the lyricist can't get the meter to work out without the elision.

It's better if the lyrics are in a language I don't know-I would hate D&W's SD if they had JLo singing the English version. Fortunately, the Spanish version is just "aural shapes" to me. Thank you IP for the term.
    Aural shapes; I like that term! Yeah, sometimes I have to tune out the lyrics of something because the tune is what I want to absorb. Sometimes words can be limiting or even trite, while the tune resonates more widely and deeply. "I Will Wait for You" doesn't bother me as much as it does you, though, either in French or in English. Don't know why; maybe because it makes me think of the movie, which I loved.

Some of my other favorites are Rahkommo and Kokko, Anissina and Peizerat, and especially Drobiazko and Vanagas. It's hard to pick favorites. Ice dance is my favorite skating discipline!

Forgot to mention Klimova and Ponemerenko. I loved them also.

Custom Title
    Thanks to whoever posted the link to Klimova & Ponomarenko's Champions on Ice performance. I believe I saw them perform that piece in early '94 during a Tour of Champions show (but I swear they used the cape through the entire performance...maybe they altered it a bit after that competition?). I saw them again in COI in early '96 (I think) when they performed Masquerade Waltz which was just stunning (looking at the video now on youtube, when Sergei picked Marina up and had her lying across his shoulders and spun around it reminded me of Davis & White's current FD). K&P are my all time, top of the list, favorite ice dancers. I was just thinking what they would have done with twizzles if they existed in their performing days. My second favorite ice dancing team is Davis & White...maybe because their skating reminds me of K&P?? and I guess I'm one of the few skate fans who didn't love B&K until they went to Morisov and won Worlds...he took the fussiness out of their style that I found so unappealing and their skating became smooth and serious (a lot of folks thought he turned them into the Russian style but I didn't think so). I used to love pairs mostly and tolerated the other disciplines but in the past few years ice dancing has become my favorite. Can't wait for Worlds!

Custom Title
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this question is somewhat related: In terms of speed, how does the top teams in the world today compare to the past champions? For example, is Davis & White faster than Grishuk and Platov?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Perhaps you could blame S&Z for their consistently picking music that does not appeal to everyone. Or perhaps it is their own taste. Or both. I'm in no position to know.
    Sometimes Marina picks the music and sometimes V&M pick it. Mahler was suggested by Marina and V&M listened to it and liked it. Pink Floyd was V&M's choice, as was Funny Face. I don't know about their other programs. If Marina is suggesting, she will give them two or three pieces to choose from but she has a favourite among those suggested.

Custom Title
    I'd love to hear someone answer the question about comparative speed of today's champions and former ones.

One thing that's great about skating right now is that I think I had a favorite ice dance team ever (Klimova/Ponomarenko), but when D/W and V/M came along, they became contenders for favorites. That says something about the dynamism of ice dance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruin714 View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this question is somewhat related: In terms of speed, how does the top teams in the world today compare to the past champions? For example, is Davis & White faster than Grishuk and Platov?
    I'd say they're on the same level, but D/W do more complex stuff in the elements at speed, which makes theirs more noteworthy. On the other hand, I think G/P had the best running edges of anyone ever. Some of their bladework is remarkable. And I think Usova/Zhulin had some of the purest edges ever. Love watching their compulsories.

meem, I'd watch B/K's "Adagio" and G/P's "Requiem" back to back. You're gonna see Morosov definitely raiding the Tarasova well (to be fair, she coached them too for a while) without improving some of their weaknesses (her posture, relatively simple dance).

Custom Title
    I just watched B/K's adagio and G/P's requiem. G/P's seemed much more difficult technically but now I remember how much I disliked that FD back in '98 with Grishuk continuously skating through his legs and Platov wrapping his arm around her neck (a la Chris Dean). But wow - they were flying across the ice nonstop. I'm no judge of ice dancing but of the two videos I just watched, I preferred B/K's adagio...and I liked the big change in B/K's style from previous years when their tippy tapping skating drove me crazy :>) I was glad they won Worlds and then very disappointed to learn Bourne didn't want to go pro and they split up.

Rinkside
    Sorry for dragging up this old thread. I'm fairly new to this board.

My favorites are Torvill & Dean, Grishuk & Platov & Usova and Zhulin. I miss the days when they all skated! Torvill & Dean's creativity can not be matched in my opinion and Grishuk & Platov's speed, edges & passion was wonderful! I love G&P programs from 97!

Banned
    D&W are fast but Virtue and Moir have a purity of the blade not seen since klimova and Ponomarenko and their lines are unmatched.

I liked Silverstein and Pekarek too. It's unfortunate that they split up!

My all time favorites are Torvill and Dean. There's never been a program like "Bolero".

Custom Title
    Virtue and Moir.......I've had favs before but these two are my ultimate favs.

Quote Originally Posted by verte76 View Post
    I liked Silverstein and Pekarek too. It's unfortunate that they split up!
    I don't think they split up exactly. I think Jamie had to withdraw from skating to deal with an eating disorder.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast