Page 175 of 184 FirstFirst ... 75 125 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 2753

Thread: Patrick Chan

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet View Post
    I just watched two old vids of Pat where he each speaks one sentence of Cantonese. You guys probably have seen already. It seems his Cantonese is very limited.

Here, he was practicing how to say "Chan Wai Kuan is on Hong Kong's A-sport headline". He is so cute. I love his voice "Chan Wai Kuan" is his Cantonese name.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gA1mKuPkQs

Another vid four years ago where he said "I really love skating" in Cantonese.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnwJ2IW931E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzU7iBFI2_0
    Patrick trying to speak Cantonese is so adorable. He's way ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Violet, here's a vid of Patrick speaking Cantonese - 'welcoming people to watch the Worlds in London'.

Look at these young cuties ... Yuna, Patrick, Mao, Veneer, Amodio .... I think this pix was taken at a Worlds Junior?

Found this old vid of Patrick skating to Vivaldi at TEB 2006. I think he's only 15/16 yo then?
    That picture blows my mind. They all look SO young! Patrick was 15 at 2006 TEB and it's amazing that he won it the very next year! It's a different experience to watch that program without the 3A.

Speaking of throwback stuff, here's his Ex at 2007 TEB. I love this program because most of it is footwork and I could watch Patrick do footwork all day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQmzVBmsUec

I think all Patrick vids should come with this warning: "DO NOT watch if you need to be productive, because you will end up watching several more, and time will get away from you."

On the Ice
    Violet, here's a vid of Patrick speaking Cantonese - 'welcoming people to watch the Worlds in London'.

Look at these young cuties ... Yuna, Patrick, Mao, Veneer, Amodio .... I think this pix was taken at a Worlds Junior?

Found this old vid of Patrick skating to Vivaldi at TEB 2006. I think he's only 15/16 yo then?
    Thank you for the vids & pic! Even as a mandarin speaker, I still can't figure out every single word he said... I will consult my Cantonese friends.

Here is an old interview where at the beginning he said in mandarin "I am Patrick Chan. I come from Canada". The grammar was not correct for the second sentence I heard Pat has been learning mandarin, not sure if he has made any progress...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioxjeY-0THk

On the Ice
    I will miss Patrick at the Worlds. However I can understand why he is not going. If he is not ready to put what happened at the Olympics behind him yet, than he shouldn't go. He's only 23 so I hope he finds his feet again. I want to see more of his fantastic skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela V View Post
    I will miss Patrick at the Worlds. However I can understand why he is not going. If he is not ready to put what happened at the Olympics behind him yet, than he shouldn't go. He's only 23 so I hope he finds his feet again. I want to see more of his fantastic skating.
    Patrick's decision is based on his two patterns of experiences. 1. He usually does not do well in Japan, and 2, he usually doesn't win nor like to compete in WTT, the event after Worlds each year, and which also takes place in Japan. This year's World is like WTT to many skaters as the event after the Big One.

The main reason he does not do so well is because these events in Japan are either pre or post season. Japan Open is when the skaters try out their new programs for the season. Patrick has won in it but with falls which incur criticism, though I, along with other fans, thoroughly enjoyed and loved his Aranjuez at JO. The other event in Japan is the WTT and all the Worlds winners don't win there, which I attribute to psychological factors, i.e. they have achieved their season's goals and mentally their season is over and physically they are tired and past their planned peaks. Patrick never competes at NHK because there is usually one Japanese Worlds Men medalist competing on home ice. So, all in all, Patrick is known to have not been his best in Japan and the idea is instilled in him. He was glad with his Silver medal at the last GPF because he was able to do his LP well after the poor SP and happy to have overcome the Japan "jinx".

I hope he will bury these experiences and the mental block thus developed, along with his mental issue with the 3A, which he is completely capable of doing wonderfully but for the trepidation entering the jump.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet View Post
    Thank you for the vids & pic! Even as a mandarin speaker, I still can't figure out every single word he said... I will consult my Cantonese friends.

Here is an old interview where at the beginning he said in mandarin "I am Patrick Chan. I come from Canada". The grammar was not correct for the second sentence I heard Pat has been learning mandarin, not sure if he has made any progress...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioxjeY-0THk
    In the first video, he said:

"We welcome you to watch the Figure Skating World Championships in London, Canada." Of course, in Cantonese, the phrasing is a bit different but the semantics are the same.

Rinkside
    A while back I had posted that my wife and I were working on a song for Patrick Chan.
    Well its all done if anyone wants a chuckle or two.
    enjoy skating friends!
    http://t.co/ynUaZ4bTSB

Tripping on the Podium
    so sad that Patrick will not go to Worlds. I already miss him. Worlds is not the same without him, not so interesting for me. But I understand him. Hope, he will be back more stronger

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzzie View Post
    so sad that Patrick will not go to Worlds. I already miss him. Worlds is not the same without him, not so interesting for me. But I understand him. Hope, he will be back more stronger
    I miss Patrick, too! I really hope he can get a new technical coach, who can help stabilize his 3A! He still has a lot to prove. I believe he will come back stronger. We will see.

You are right. The skating world is far less interesting without him :(

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    One year ago today, Patrick gave us this gem! There is something truly magical about this particular performance of Elegie. It’s almost as if there were microphones under the ice, picking up every little edge and movement of the blade. When I watch this performance, I almost forget about the music and just listen to Patrick’s blades. What a sweet sound! The edges seemed particularly deep and clear during this Elegie. The jumps weren’t perfect in the air but he landed them successfully and had the fire in his eyes. The icing on top of it all is his reaction at the end.

After the Olympics, Patrick said this to CBC about his Elegie SP:

“The unique feature about this piece of music is that there’s a lot of quiet moments. It takes a really, really experienced skater who is comfortable with those silent moments. You can make beautiful moments out of where there’s no music. You create your own music.”
    This quote makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and I agree with it completely. I love the music that Patrick makes with his blades. I’ve never felt like his program music overpowered him at all. With Patrick, the music is an extension of his body and his movement on the ice. People can say whatever they want about his perceived “lack of artistry,” but to me every program he does is its own unique work of art. He is, and always will be, an artist in my eyes.

Here’s a question to ponder: Do you prefer Patrick’s Elegie as an Ex or as an SP? I know the goals and requirements/constraints of each program are different and I absolutely love both. That said, I think I prefer the SP simply because of the footwork section that begins in the silence of the music. It’s funny because now when I watch the Elegie Ex, I picture the footwork from the SP when it gets to that point in the music. For reference, here’s the Ex.

On the Ice
    Hi skatingfan4ever, I was never a big fan of Patrick until I watched his Elegie SP at TEB this season. I was totally stunned. What an artist on the ice! It's always difficult to skate to quiet music, because such soft music cannot carry you but need you to carry. I was simply speechless. Every step, every movement he does seem to interpret the music so naturally, as if his program and the music were born together. He was completely in the music--the program creates a new world that embraces you as you watch the program. Rachmaninoff would never expect, after 100 years, somebody would be able to create such beautiful moments on the ice with his music. Patrick has a classical and introvert aurora on the ice that his artistry is not always easy for skating fans to discover. You need to have a really serene mindset to appreciate his artistry. I would like to call him "poet on the ice". Novels and plays are usually much easier to get into but you need a lot more patience to appreciate poems. I think that's why many people don't appreciate Patrick's artistry, or simply don't see it.

As for the program, I think TEB is my favorite version. He hit every bit and nuance of the music perfectly + I love the costume better + TEB's ice rink is so pretty, the light suits the program better. Also, I prefer the SP to EX because the SP is more sophisticated and seems to have a better overall interpretation of the music. Here is a nice drawing of his SP :
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/fw6fgvi5f1vm3if/pat.jpg

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post

Here’s a question to ponder: Do you prefer Patrick’s Elegie as an Ex or as an SP? I know the goals and requirements/constraints of each program are different and I absolutely love both. That said, I think I prefer the SP simply because of the footwork section that begins in the silence of the music. It’s funny because now when I watch the Elegie Ex, I picture the footwork from the SP when it gets to that point in the music. For reference, here’s the Ex.
    Hi.
    I prefer SP.
    his Elegie SP performance made me speechless. really, i couldn't find words to describe how it impressed me. as Tarasova says, my heart stops beating when he skates.

Quote Originally Posted by Violet
    Wow.. what a beautiful picture, Violet. You are an artist yourself. The beautiful lines, his facial expression, the carvings on the ice .. I LOVE it. I have uploaded your beautiful pix as my avatar. I hope you are agreeable?

You have described Elegie so well. It's a hauntingly beautiful music and certainly not an easy music to skate to particularly as a competitive piece. Yes, you got it right. The skater has to carry the music and not otherwise. But as Buttle puts it in this interview, it was Patrick's skating skills which allow all the elements to be put into the program. And the most beautiful part ... the carving of the ice during the quietest part of the music.

skatingfan, I love both Elegie, the SP and the Ex. In the Ex, his gorgeous glide and superior edges were in full display. He was like a feather, floating on ice. In almost every program, I can find something I enjoy so much and marvel at that I play that particular section, over and over again. To name a few ... his straight line one footed sequence in Take Five, the vigorous and highly complex choreography in Phantom, the twizzles in Aranjuez, the little hops in latest Vivaldi ..... And when he performs without error, that program becomes a masterpiece, IMO. And to top the ice on the cake, I adore his smiles. As one of his skating fan puts it, it's 'sunshine'.

I am already missing him. And when the GP season arrives towards the end of the year, I think I will even miss him more when it will dawn upon me that I cannot look forward to his new programs and what Tu Ly has designed for him. Sigh....

Here's a vid capturing Patrick and his colleagues watching the FD in Sochi.

Custom Title
    I am really looking forward to seeing Patrick on CSOI in May.
    For those of you who havent seen him live I have to say that watching him live at Worlds last year was amazing.
    Many people who saw him live at TEB last year are totally in his thrall.

I have always thought him to be a sensitive and musical skater. I think though Lori's programs were techinically very difficult and more choc a bloc with COP goodies they were very busy so didnt allow him to express his soul in the way that Wilson's does. Some of her ex programs were rather campy as well. I love his current ex. He is a true dancer there expressing every nuance of the song in his movement and skating. In fact when he was practicing his ex at Skate Canada it was fun to see Scott skating the ex behind him.

From all recent interviews I see that Scott is one of his biggest fans with a huge appreciation of his talent. I think so far that Patrick is the most complete skater of the last two quads. Lambiel has a different kind of musicality and his entrances and set ups were not as good as Patrick.

On the Ice
    Wow.. what a beautiful picture, Violet. You are an artist yourself. The beautiful lines, his facial expression, the carvings on the ice .. I LOVE it. I have uploaded your beautiful pix as my avatar. I hope you are agreeable?
    Hi spikydurian, I am sorry but the drawing was not made by me. I saw it somewhere and thought it would be nice to share it here. I guess it's OK to use it as your avatar though. BTW, do we need to have a certain number of posts in the forum before we can upload an avatar? I am unable to use avatar now...

I am already missing him. And when the GP season arrives towards the end of the year, I think I will even miss him more when it will dawn upon me that I cannot look forward to his new programs and what Tu Ly has designed for him. Sigh....
    Has he said that he will opt out of next Grand Prix Series? Or even the whole next season? I really hope he can change his mind... :(

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    I am really looking forward to seeing Patrick on CSOI in May.
    For those of you who havent seen him live I have to say that watching him live at Worlds last year was amazing.
    Many people who saw him live at TEB last year are totally in his thrall.

I have always thought him to be a sensitive and musical skater. I think though Lori's programs were techinically very difficult and more choc a bloc with COP goodies they were very busy so didnt allow him to express his soul in the way that Wilson's does. Some of her ex programs were rather campy as well. I love his current ex. He is a true dancer there expressing every nuance of the song in his movement and skating. In fact when he was practicing his ex at Skate Canada it was fun to see Scott skating the ex behind him.

From all recent interviews I see that Scott is one of his biggest fans with a huge appreciation of his talent. I think so far that Patrick is the most complete skater of the last two quads. Lambiel has a different kind of musicality and his entrances and set ups were not as good as Patrick.
    Hi emdee, do you know if he will come to the US for any shows? Did he come last year? I am sort of a new fan although I've known him since 2008.

Page 175 of 184 FirstFirst ... 75 125 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 LastLast