Patrick Chan | Page 79 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skatingfan4ever, I do not think judges particularly look down used programs if they are of high, exquisite quality and the skater could furthermore perfect those programs which have been the case for Patrick. And if he skates each of thos season's programs to its highest potential, it would be better to get at least one new program.

But like SF said, the season is still early and there are a lot for us to enjoy!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Welcome back, Patrick, to the throne.

He gave an interview on CBC about his planned progress, which I just posted about on the Mens FS thread. He is on track.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Yes, I am very happy for him that he managed to skate a pretty decent program today. Like he said, it needs some work in the 2nd half, but I think it will come. I'm delighted that he is going to the GP final with this encouraging result. It is a beautiful program, beautifully skated, to beautiful music and I really enjoyed seeing it on the big screen on CBC.........was holding my breath watching the feed earlier, so it was sssooooo nice to watch it knowing he had won :)........Phewwwww!!!!

Ravensque

On the Ice
Thanks for posting that SGrand. Jeff is not only a great skater, but also a promising choreographer. It looks like they work very well together...I sure would like to see more collatborations between these two guys.

STARushka

Rinkside
Saw SP and LP live, it is magical how Patrick feels what he skates:clap: - it was wonderful - was very happy to be there and Gala was also nice - he was in a great mood :))

skatinginbc

Medalist
Nice little piece on Chan and Buttle working together:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/Top+Stories/ID/2302899715/

Jeff said, "What I try to push is to bring him some musical sensibility and just be aware that you can have the same impact with a lot smaller movement, and I think this program really highlights that fact. It’s very subtle; it’s certainly nothing he has ever done before."

Jeff's choreography is extremely difficult because every subtle, tiny movement has its musical meaning. One subtle, seemingly nitpicking difference can break the mood. For instance, Chan raised his head a bit too abruptly at 00:59 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=238Y0PHTweg, which as a consequence contradicted the musical phrasing. The same movement was done perfectly at SA (01:06-01:08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJFNtYmEDJ0). It was gradual and SMOOTH. I praised his artistic improvement for his Skate Canada SP performance, but I did not for his Cup of Russia one. I understand that after losing the gold in Skate Canada, he might be more concerned about technical elements during his SP at CoR. I just want to encourage him to continue working on those subtle aspects as Jeff has tried to push him. They are subtle, but people do take notice of them. The hard work might not immediately translate into points but, well, I just hope he will continue to work on those tiny things.

SGrand

Final Flight
Thanks for posting that SGrand. Jeff is not only a great skater, but also a promising choreographer. It looks like they work very well together...I sure would like to see more collatborations between these two guys.

Totally agreed!!! :thumbsup:

SGrand

Final Flight
Saw SP and LP live, it is magical how Patrick feels what he skates:clap: - it was wonderful - was very happy to be there and Gala was also nice - he was in a great mood :))

So great to hear, I'm hoping to see him live at Nationals or maybe even World's.....

spikydurian

Medalist
Boeing787 said:
Congrats,Patrick! Who said the Russian ice was unfriendly to you?
Someone who wants us all think that the Russian audience are unfriendly, biased and mean. ;)

Nice little piece on Chan and Buttle working together:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/Top+Stories/ID/2302899715/
Thanks SGrand. It's great to see the skaters I enjoy watching working together. I am sure Buttle will be a famous choreographer some day. In fact, I believe he's already on his way of being one.

Skatefiguring said:
More reports please, STARushka! Then you will be our Russia Bureau Chief!
Yes STARushka, that would be wonderful,and we would be very appreciative. :)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I had a "moment" with La Boheme last night. I got that indescribable feeling again and I officially fell in love with the program! After watching it through twice, all I could think about was how much I wanted to go skating. Patrick just looks so free and peaceful when he skates. His speed makes skating look like so much fun. And it wasn't even a perfect FS at COR, so I can only imagine what it will be like when Patrick skates it perfectly. WOW!!! I've always felt the emotion from Patrick when he skates, but La Boheme takes it to an even higher level. It is truly something special.

Last edited:

STARushka

Rinkside
So great to hear, I'm hoping to see him live at Nationals or maybe even World's.....

Me too I'm very hopping to go to London and to see it live again at Worlds. I was in Nice and though it was very nervous it still was wonderful :)

As for Rostelecom, previously ( when he was in Moscow) I don't remember a lot of cheers for Patrick ( except for Worlds 2011 when his performance was just flawless and only blind couldn't see that he was the one and only winner) and there were almost 2 people ( including me) with flags of Canada.
May be he also remembered this but before SP he was quite nervous and constrained especially while warm-up when his axel was only double.
But now the sitution has changed - there were banners for Patrick and a lot of Canadian Flags and he could hear cheers for him. I was happy he managed triple A.
While FP he was much more relaxed, self-assured and smiling :)
And frankly speaking (although I was happy to see Nobu on ice again and admired Takahiko's FP a lot and IMHO Menshov is the most watchable among Russian men)- he was such a pleasure and gratifaction to watch after the other guys. I saw La Boheme at SC but live - it was so graceful.:clap:
At Gala he was fabulous and had such a sparkling spirits ! He skated the bigger part of La Boheme for the encore then the other winners and even after that - he was dancing, making faces and having fun off ice !)))
Later he was seen in the hotel carring presents from his fans so I hope Moscow is gonna be the place he would like to come back to :)

emdee

Final Flight
STARushka will you be going to Sochi?

If you do come to worlds in London maybe we Patrick fans can get together?

So sweet of you to hold the Canadian flag up for him.

Did you also see Virtue & Moir's program?

STARushka

Rinkside
Emdee,

Of course - it would be great to get together ))))) Unfortunately I will not go to GPF due to work load :( So my chance is in London.

Yes I saw Virtue & Moir's program - before I was a bit sceptic cause Carmen is over-over used ( though it is a masterpiece with a lot of aspects). But when I saw it... undescribable !!! Tessa is a true Carmen ! I was totally agree with TAT when she gave them a standing applause.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Emdee,

Of course - it would be great to get together ))))) Unfortunately I will not go to GPF due to work load :( So my chance is in London.

Yes I saw Virtue & Moir's program - before I was a bit sceptic cause Carmen is over-over used ( though it is a masterpiece with a lot of aspects). But when I saw it... undescribable !!! Tessa is a true Carmen ! I was totally agree with TAT when she gave them a standing applause.

Thank you StARushka. It's so nice to know that Patrick has so many Russian fans, and they enjoyed his programs. I do hope you make it to Worlds in London. As an afterthought, my S.O. and I are going, and I can hardly wait. Whether he wins or not, I just want to see both programs live.

SGrand

Final Flight
Me too I'm very hopping to go to London and to see it live again at Worlds. I was in Nice and though it was very nervous it still was wonderful :)

As for Rostelecom, previously ( when he was in Moscow) I don't remember a lot of cheers for Patrick ( except for Worlds 2011 when his performance was just flawless and only blind couldn't see that he was the one and only winner) and there were almost 2 people ( including me) with flags of Canada.
May be he also remembered this but before SP he was quite nervous and constrained especially while warm-up when his axel was only double.
But now the sitution has changed - there were banners for Patrick and a lot of Canadian Flags and he could hear cheers for him. I was happy he managed triple A.
While FP he was much more relaxed, self-assured and smiling :)
And frankly speaking (although I was happy to see Nobu on ice again and admired Takahiko's FP a lot and IMHO Menshov is the most watchable among Russian men)- he was such a pleasure and gratifaction to watch after the other guys. I saw La Boheme at SC but live - it was so graceful.:clap:
At Gala he was fabulous and had such a sparkling spirits ! He skated the bigger part of La Boheme for the encore then the other winners and even after that - he was dancing, making faces and having fun off ice !)))
Later he was seen in the hotel carring presents from his fans so I hope Moscow is gonna be the place he would like to come back to :)

Wow, that's cool! The way some talk you'd think people in Russia just want to throw rotten tomatoes at him lol. I think people know what they see though ;)
Nice to hear he's happy and moving right along. Looking forward to the GP soon.

Ravenesque, I'm with you, I don't care as much if he wins or not (may the best skater 'that' night win!), but I really just want to see him live and cheer him on and appreciate his great skating (and that of others as well!). This year is turning out to have many watershed moments for him and he really seems to be taking it all in and learning from it (like not to do a single after a quad LOL!).