Patrick Chan | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I never thought the crowd booed anything but the scores on all of the events that there was this sort of controversy.

alexeifan

On the Ice
Hopefully he will get new programs for next year. As a now 2 time world champ he really needs to start fresh. I like his lp from this year but it's time to stop keeping these programs year after year.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
BTW I've been wondering if he has some Caucasoid blood. He doesn't look a genuine Asian to me.
I heard a rumor that one of his remote ancestor is Portuguese.
Anyway, I love Patrick just the way he is!

I don't know if he has any non-asian blood. Chan's ancestors were from southern China where there are more people with double eyelids. He definitely looks like a complete Asian to me. Contrary to the general beliefs in western world, many Asians have double eyelids and tall nose bones. Of course, there are many, maybe more than a half of the population who have single eyelids and flatter noses in Asia. The funny thing is how closely looked the easterners and the westerners in some cases. My own paternal grandfather looked almost identical to Al Gore - the once US vise president. And Gore was partly Scots-Irish descendant.

Another good-looking Asian male skater is Nan Song. His picture with yellow costume on IN is perfect.

Last edited:

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
I don't know if he has any non-asian blood. Chan's ancestors were from southern China where there are more people with double eyelids. He definitely looks like a complete Asian to me. Contrary to the general beliefs in western world, many Asians have double eyelids and tall nose bones. Of course, there are many, maybe more than a half of the population who have single eyelids and flat noses in Asia. The funny thing is how closely looked the easterners and the westerners in some cases. My own paternal grandfather looked almost identical to Al Gore - the once US vise president. And Gore was partly Scots-Irish decendent.

Another good-looking Asian male skater is Nan Song. His picture with yellow costume on IN is perfect.

Well, Patrick does not look 100% Asian to me and many other Japanese fans, but Nan Song does. He is tall and good-looking, perhaps from northern China.
BTW, your grandfather must be handsome as he resembled Mr. Gore!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Does he look like an Asian? - a famous Chinese singer/actor Liu De Hua:

this and this:)

Oh, well, it doesn't matter. The bottom line is that they look very handsome.:)

Yes, my grandfather was handsome but my father was even more handsome. They both have left this world many many years ago.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Saw this posted on FSU - the small medal ceremony. I noticed that the same has been posted on Takahashi and Hanyu's threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TdlLoQgZFhI#t=518s

Haven't got the chance to listen to it but it's great to see these 3 competitors' comradeship. The posters on FSU said both Takashi and Hanyu picked Patrick as one of their favourite skaters, I'm glad that their feelings towards Patrick are not as hostile as some of his fans are (I know someone will tell me that it's the Japanese' culture to be polite, but I would like to think they don't have to say that if they didn't mean it especially when they are skating in the same era.)

Hi, fscric!

Only last night I have encountered this vid while looking for another, and was able to see the whole vid for the first time.
And decided to visit this thread, becasue I thought it was very lovely too see the real friendships between them, after all the boo-boos by some of the members on this forum.

Off the ice, off their costumes, and off their competition, they all look relaxed, more natural, smiling to each other, and down to the earth, just like other kids of their same age. :)
Especially I loved the part around 12:15 towards the end, where Patrick offered his hand to Dai, so that Dai could put his skatecover on, then Dai did the same for Patrick.
During the questioning time, it was also very heartwarming to see Patrick was paying his attention to both sides, as if he was ready to offer a help anytime in case Dai or Yuzu did not understand the question in English. How sweet of him! :agree:

Patrick and Daisuke definately respect and admire each other, while pushing and motivating each other, and trying to edge out the other when going head to head.
And I belive it is the same between Brian and Patrick, Brian and Dai.

One of the reasons why I think so, is Brian and Dai perfectly understand the current Patrick's situation, because they have been through the same in the past: what it's like to be 'the one to beat' leading up to a big competition, how difficult to keep on being motivated after reaching the top of the world and try to defend the title, as the multiple national champion how stressful to bear all pressure by his fed and all expectation from his fans, and a big fuss throughout the nation, its media and people during the Olympic Games once every four years.

So, while they meet each other only a couple of times in a season, I believe they must have forged strong bonds, based on respect and admiration among them, in their hearts over the years. For Brian, Dai and Pat, as the top athletes for such a long time, competitions and its results are not their owns' or his team's anymore. They are obliged to many people and many things, and expected to produce good results year after year, you know.

(These things are not happened to their younger fellows; Florent, Takahiko, Yuzuru, Kevin and/or Jeremy (Ten), just yet. They will not know what it's like in a true way until these 'big' brothers finally decide to retire; probably around Sochi season is over?, even though one of them may be able to beat the big brother at certain point leading up to the Olympic, say next season at the earliest. ;) )

I find myself very lucky to be able to witness these favorite skaters of mine still grow and mature in the real time, and still be able to enjoy such exciting Mens competitions! Go boys! Bring it on! :rock:

PS. Thanks again, fscric, to PM me the other day! Without your PM to me in my email account, it must have taken me a few more days to open this forum again. :yay:

Last edited:
I don't know if he has any non-asian blood. Chan's ancestors were from southern China where there are more people with double eyelids. He definitely looks like a complete Asian to me. Contrary to the general beliefs in western world, many Asians have double eyelids and tall nose bones. Of course, there are many, maybe more than a half of the population who have single eyelids and flatter noses in Asia. The funny thing is how closely looked the easterners and the westerners in some cases. My own paternal grandfather looked almost identical to Al Gore - the once US vise president. And Gore was partly Scots-Irish descendant.

That's interesting. When I first saw Patrick, I assumed that one parent or grandparent was non-Asian. Now I know better, of course, but it's interesting to realize even some Asians shared my first impression. Your point proves something that I learned in Anthropology class: there are often greater differences within a group than there are from group to group.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
We have another chance to watch Patrick's LP this week!:love: So excited!

I'm wondering if this is the last chance we see this LP because Patrick has hinted after the Worlds that there is a possibility that he might get new programs next season and use different choreographer.

ETA:

After learning Chan's split with his coach Krall, I think there is a great chance that this week will be the last time we see this Aranjuez LP. So enjoy it as much as we can. I wish Patrick and Krall both the best!

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
That's interesting. When I first saw Patrick, I assumed that one parent or grandparent was non-Asian. Now I know better, of course, but it's interesting to realize even some Asians shared my first impression. Your point proves something that I learned in Anthropology class: there are often greater differences within a group than there are from group to group.

I thought the same thing too. Whatever the case, he is an extremely handsome young man!

Boeing787

On the Ice
I thought the same thing too. Whatever the case, he is an extremely handsome young man!

I thought the same thing too. Actually the first time I showed his pic to my boy friend, he thought he is mixed too.

I think it's his sunken eyes make him look non-asian.