Patrick Chan | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Chan repeats the lutz and the quad toe. To repeat any other jump would render that jump and/or combo/sequence null, so he can't do the triple toe more than once (if he gets the 4S, we might see two 3Ts in combinations).

yousunny

Rinkside
The rule only allow him to repeat 2 triple/quad jumps. He chose to repeat 4T and 3Lz. So he can't do +3T twice

Also, in Tracey Wilson's comment, she said that because Patrick only did 4T+2T, he added 3T at the end of 3F. I'm not quite understand...if Patrick did 4T+3T, he couldn't add another 3T? I thought he can do 3 combos?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Also, in Tracey Wilson's comment, she said that because Patrick only did 4T+2T, he added 3T at the end of 3F. I'm not quite understand...if Patrick did 4T+3T, he couldn't add another 3T? I thought he can do 3 combos?

Patrick's first quad landing was not sure enough for him to add a 3T as planned, so he did a 2T because one of the quads must be in combination. He had the presence of mind to do 3F+3T instead of 3F+2T later in the program, picking up 10% bonus on the 3T. :) He did 3 combos, 4T+2T. 3Lz+1Lo+3S, and 3F+3T. He repeated the 4T and 3Lz, so he can't repeat 3T. Only two repeats allowed, one in combo.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Also, ChSt is treated as level 1 for all skaters, they earned their marks through GOE.

First the Step Sequence is leveled the same for all. Then the GOE values are reduced this year. And some think COP was designed for Patrick. :rolleye:

Boeing787 said:
He could still do 3F+3T even after he had done a 4T+3T. But his original plan was 3L+2T.

He couldn't. He repeated 4T and 3Lz and could not repeat another triple. He would have Oda'd himself. He basically switched the 3T and 2T, with a small gain in bonus.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
First the Step Sequence is leveled the same for all. Then the GOE values are reduced this year. And some think COP was designed for Patrick. :rolleye:

Yeah, ISU increased the value of quad when Patrick didn't have one, and reduced the value of other triples and footwork. And the haters still call Patrick ISU's dear son.

yousunny

Rinkside
:laugh:I just read that on wikipedia yesterday. Patrick's former coach, Don Laws, was one of the Americans who help create the ISU Judging System.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yeah, ISU increased the value of quad when Patrick didn't have one, and reduced the value of other triples and footwork. And the haters still call Patrick ISU's dear son.

Don't forget they cut out out one step sequence in the SP. He still smashed the record set by Plushenko with an extra element.

Patrick never lobbies or complains. He just brings it whatever the rules. That's why I always say "Bring it on" to those scheming and advocating scoring changes to take him and his scores down. Others will pay the price, not Patrick.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Don't forget they cut out out one step sequence in the SP. He still smashed the record set by Plushenko with an extra element.

Patrick never lobbies or complains. He just brings it whatever the rules. That's why I always say "Bring it on" to those scheming and advocating scoring changes to take him and his scores down. Others will pay the price, not Patrick.

Yeah, I forgot that one.

Patrick is not afraid of any changes in the rules because he is truly the complete package!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
got my first wish pc skates 2 really good, clean programs. hope he stays in after sochi as pro. good job, pc!

I finally managed to find Patrick's long program and watch it. Wow, he got every bit possible out of that program. So clean and smooth and powerfully skated.

If he skates it like that at Worlds...I'm knocking on wood as I say that. It would be a wonderful thing for skating if a performance like that could enter the annals of international competition.

Boeing787

On the Ice
I finally managed to find Patrick's long program and watch it. Wow, he got every bit possible out of that program. So clean and smooth and powerfully skated.

If he skates it like that at Worlds...I'm knocking on wood as I say that. It would be a wonderful thing for skating if a performance like that could enter the annals of international competition.

No wonder you were wishing Dai to win gold on Sochi. Dai is a respectable skater, but I don't think he has a chance for gold as long as Patrick is still around.

skatinginbc

Medalist
"Chen finished with 193.90 points in the competition, a new personal best." Not Patrick of course. It was Nathan Chen, a 13-year-old who landed 7 triples, earned level four on two spins, and just captured the US junior men’s title. Imagine Chan vs. Chen in the same competition one day. :biggrin:

Boeing787

On the Ice
"Chen finished with 193.90 points in the competition, a new personal best." Not Patrick of course. It was Nathan Chen, a 13-year-old who landed 7 triples, earned level four on two spins, and just captured the US junior men’s title. Imagine Chan vs. Chen in the same competition one day. :biggrin:

One can only imagine that. Patrick will retire after Sochi. They will never compete with each other.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Why are we so sure that Patrick will retire after Sochi? He might return for another Olympics as Plueshenko did and is doing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Why are we so sure that Patrick will retire after Sochi? He might return for another Olympics as Plueshenko did and is doing.

that's what I was thinking as well... I'm seeing him being the Canadian version of Michelle Kwan - or I guess another Elvis Stojko - he's still so stinkin' young he could keep going for quite a while.