Patrick Chan | Page 42 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Boeing787

On the Ice
I predict the pairs will be:

Yuna-Evan (Oly golds), Stephane-Caro (old flames), Patrick-Alyssa (no choice)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Kim and Chan as a team--the PCS! Records will be broken! S/S, V/T, T/T, P/T...won't be able to come close! j/k

Actually i beg to differ, have seen these 2 in the practice videos? Their skating program will likely involve zero eye contact in case of one of them does have a fit (likely Yuna).

Scott and Yuna, Tessa and Patrick might work though. Good grief, what am I saying hahha...

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Lucky, Yuna Kim! She gets to choose who she wants to skate with. So the Japanese doesn't have a chance to skate in Yuna's show.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Both Dai and Oda were invited in 2008 FOI. I think that's the only time they performed in Yuna's show.

Oh. Thanks! Then I'm puzzled why they've invited Lysacek but not Takahashi in this show. Hmmm, maybe we should have a thread to talk about it.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Lucky, Yuna Kim! She gets to choose who she wants to skate with. So the Japanese doesn't have a chance to skate in Yuna's show.

Daiskue and Oda used to do Yuna's early shows, and Dai and Yuna seems fond of each other off-ice. I am wondering how much is it due to contractual agreements, seeing most of the Japanese skaters are with IMG, and they tend to have their own shows. How about Patrick, is he independent or signed with an agent? I suspect he is probably independent just so he is not obligated to only do certain shows.

I am looking forward to Yuna at Artistry on Ice Shanghai stop. Patrick will tour Taipei/Taiwan stop, so would be great experience for them both.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Oh. Thanks! Then I'm puzzled why they've invited Lysacek but not Takahashi in this show. Hmmm, maybe we should have a thread to talk about it.

Daisuke gained a lot of popularity in Korea after winning Four Continents in Goyang. He was invited due to his already significant Korean fanbase ballooning after that competition. It's probably contractual obligations preventing him from skating in shows such as FOI/ALTS.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I hope Patrick will find a new skating coach to surprise us, just like he went to Christy Krall two years ago.

SGrand

Final Flight
I hope Patrick will find a new skating coach to surprise us, just like he went to Christy Krall two years ago.

I agree, wasn't it 2 years ago that everyone thought (or maybe he made us think) that Lori was going to be his (only) coach? Hopefully it's only a matter of time before he gets someone in his corner to work with Kathy.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Ravensque,Bluebonnet,did you notice that the audience clapped at 48:27? That's also my favorite movement in this program.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I predict the pairs will be:

Yuna-Evan (Oly golds), Stephane-Caro (old flames), Patrick-Alyssa (no choice)

Ha! Alissa would be exactly his choice for Ice Dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdpuZNqY1Ec#t=303s

Of course he mentioned his friend Tessa too. Tessa has named Patrick as her favorite skater and Scott once joked that happily Patrick was not an Ice Dancer or he would take Tessa away from him.

And here he said he would choose Yuna as his Pairs partner, after the ATS experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA6CXRIi-6U#t=67s

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I agree, wasn't it 2 years ago that everyone thought (or maybe he made us think) that Lori was going to be his (only) coach? Hopefully it's only a matter of time before he gets someone in his corner to work with Kathy.

Yeah, if that was the indication for his new-situation-dealing style, we should be relaxed this time round. Patrick sounded very confident which is re-assuring. I don't think he has the ability to pretend.:laugh:

Ravensque,Bluebonnet,did you notice that the audience clapped at 48:27? That's also my favorite movement in this program.

My too.:yes:

Last edited:

SGrand

Final Flight
Haha! Yup.
Well I say to worry when we have something to worry about. Happy he's going to focus on artistry, but I think he knows he can't let the tech side slip either. Excited to see what he will have in store for us.
Off topic, even though he's been focusing on modern dance and movement, which I think is not only important, but essential, does anyone else think he should be taking the odd Hip Hop classes as well? If only to loosen him up and make him more at ease in his movement. You have to admit, there's definitely a swagger and confidence that comes from this type of dance and I think he could really benefit from it. I don't think he's a naturally gifted dancer, but he's a super hard worker and unafraid so something like this could really make him relax and think: "hey, I CAN dance!". Even just some freestyle dance to get his groove on.......Just a thought, although I'm sure his plate is already full enough lol. But Wade Robson could be kinda cool. (Note: I am not really a fan of hip hop on ice as I find it (usually) very awkward and I'm not meaning for PC to do any sort of HH routine). :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Another Patrick then video. Shae Lynn offered to teach him to dance. I would love for her to choreograph an SP for him now that he is keen about dancing. She is the foremost solo Ice Dancer cum innovative choreographer and he has the skating skills and dance training to bring us an Ice Dance with quad program!

Ravensque

On the Ice
Thanks SF for posting those nice little tidbits as I haven't seen them for a while and B787, yes I did notice the appause at that point when he paused during Elegy. Gawd that's a beautiful program!!!!!

SGrand

Final Flight
Another Patrick then video. Shae Lynn offered to teach him to dance. I would love for her to choreograph an SP for him now that he is keen about dancing. She is the foremost solo Ice Dancer cum innovative choreographer and he has the skating skills and dance training to bring us an Ice Dance with quad program!

I wish he'd take her up on her offer, I just love her solo programs, she's insanely talented. Would be nice to see her choreograph something for him.

Haha! Yup.
Well I say to worry when we have something to worry about. Happy he's going to focus on artistry, but I think he knows he can't let the tech side slip either. Excited to see what he will have in store for us.
Off topic, even though he's been focusing on modern dance and movement, which I think is not only important, but essential, does anyone else think he should be taking the odd Hip Hop classes as well? If only to loosen him up and make him more at ease in his movement. You have to admit, there's definitely a swagger and confidence that comes from this type of dance and I think he could really benefit from it. I don't think he's a naturally gifted dancer, but he's a super hard worker and unafraid so something like this could really make him relax and think: "hey, I CAN dance!". Even just some freestyle dance to get his groove on.......Just a thought, although I'm sure his plate is already full enough lol. But Wade Robson could be kinda cool. (Note: I am not really a fan of hip hop on ice as I find it (usually) very awkward and I'm not meaning for PC to do any sort of HH routine). :)

That's tantalizing idea, about the hip hop classes. They might help put him more in a dance mindset, without actually leading to any hip hop routine on ice. I side with you in thinking that hip hop can be a bit too staccato for ice. But the movement vocabulary would be a great help, I think.

I also love the idea of Shae-Lynn working with him, SGrand and SF. You're right; her solo experience would really add to what she can dream up for him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Choreography is a collaboration and I think choreographing for/with Patrick must be an extraordinary experience. Even Kurt, who had known Patrick and his skating for a long time, said that even though he had always said Patrick skated huge, he had no idea just how huge Patrick skated until he choreographed the Cold Play number for him . It must be exciting and challenging to take advantage of and showcase his insane unparalleled talents, getting him to do what only he can do.

I give credit to Lori for Patrick's competitive programs which I believe nobody else can skate. Nobody else has the skating skills, the jumps, the musicality, and the energy to perform any of his recent LPs in its entirety. 10 falls and 10 seconds late would likely be the result of any attempt! :laugh: Even each of his varied ex programs shows off some of his incredible skills. I wonder if Moon Dance would be the last Lori Nichol program for Patrick. Wilson and Buttle have done so well for him too.

I go by the Don't Worry Be Happy motto for me and for him on this ride. One only needs to know the destination; paths can be unexpected and exciting, keeping us all enthralled just when you think everything is more or less routine. Never boring. :p