Patrick Chan | Page 40 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
It doesn't make sense to replace one 4T with a 4S in the long program. The value of 4S is only 0.2 point higher than that of a 4T. And Patrick's 4T should be more stable that his 4S.

The disadvantage of adding 4S to SP could be: none of the three jumps is easy now. NOw if he fails to add a 3T to the 4T, he can always add it to the 3Lz. If the 4S is included, there is a good chance he won't be able to add the 3T to either 4S or 4T (rules forbid adding it to 3A, I think). He will lose about three points in TES as a result, plus the PCS loss inccured.

All great points!

Brian Joubert did 3 quad LP only once. Tim Goebel had 3 quad LP. Mayby Reynolds had 3 quad Lp? Patrick is the most artistic skater among these 3 quad LP skaters. If Patrick could do it, he'd push the bar even higher than anyone has ever done.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Have you noticed who are enthusiastically contributing to the music for Patrick thread? And who suggested Morozov? :laugh: Nice try. Thanks but no thanks.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
It doesn't make sense to replace one 4T with a 4S in the long program. The value of 4S is only 0.2 point higher than that of a 4T. And Patrick's 4T should be more stable that his 4S.

The disadvantage of adding 4S to SP could be: none of the three jumps is easy now. NOw if he fails to add a 3T to the 4T, he can always add it to the 3Lz. If the 4S is included, there is a good chance he won't be able to add the 3T to either 4S or 4T (rules forbid adding it to 3A, I think). He will lose about three points in TES as a result, plus the PCS loss inccured.

The advantage of replacing the second 4T with a 4S is that the quad salchow does not have to be in combination. Chan has occasionally missed the triple toeloop on the first quad and goes into the second quad with the mentality of having to have it in combination to have it count. With this theoretical setup, he can save the triple toeloop for the second half of the program in which it will gain more points. For that matter, he can repeat another triple jump, such as the axel or flip, in the second half since the second 4T is not one of two repeated jumps. This is how Javier Fernandez can push his BV so high since he has two different quads with two triple axels and two triple toeloops. The downside is that you're on heightened zayak alert if you pop one of the quads into a triple.

With less technical elements in the short, it's ideal to skate as clean as possible while getting the Tech as high as possible. A solo triple lutz can accommodate a combination if the opening quad combination becomes a solo jump. It's much more difficult to that with a quad salchow with connecting steps.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Slightly out of topic, but I must commend Patrick on how he has represented skating. There may have been times when people have not been happy with what he said to the media, but for the most part, he has been a great ambassador of our sport (I say our, because, yes, I do skate--I may not be going to senior nationals, but skating is as much a part of my little heart as it is, I'm sure, Patrick's).

That being said, as fans of any skater (whether it's Patrick, Dai, D/W, V/M, V/T, or anyone), we have to realise that by our fandom, we are REPRESENTING that skater in our own way by participating on these message boards. Like the skaters we idolize or demonize, we represent the sport in some way. Therefore (and this goes for me, too), we must all act responsibly in how we represent our favorites. Sometimes, we may feel attacked, but it does not help our favorites win any competition by attacking other posters. What is under attack, as I've said before, are not the skaters we love, but just our own ideas. I know our ideas mean a great deal to us, but please, let's try not to attack one another in the name of Patrick, Mao, or anyone else. They're doing their best to represent the sport. Let's do our best to represent them.

*Jumps off cheesy soapbox*

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ice Network has named Patrick Chan Skater Of The Year, followed by Kostner and Virtue/Moir.

Congratulations, Patrick, for the obvious and well earned honour.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Ice Network has named Patrick Chan Skater Of The Year, followed by Kostner and Virtue/Moir.

Congratulations, Patrick, for the obvious and well earned honour.

Ditto on that. It was a well-earned honor........for all the recipients.

Here's a little tidbit that I picked up on another board from You Tube: You may have seen it before but just in case here it is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eamccuQCvR0 :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^^^This has been posted before, as were the few earlier, but this is what is nice about having a fan thread. Now we have some of the favorites videos, pictures and write ups all in the same easy to find place.