Patrick Chan | Page 93 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
I am so jealous!!!!! :p
German fans are with you Patrick :)
me 2222, Kuan. Yes please send cheers from Oz & Germany, emdee, Coriana & Scrufflet.
Gee,can't believe Worlds is close. Kuan, how do you normally watch the figure skating competitions?

Kuan

Final Flight
Kuan said:
Most of the time I watch russian livestreams because figureskating is not that popular in Germany. There are no broadcast for most of the competitions. We only can watch worlds, euros and sometimes 4CC. And most of the time it is not live. But russians are more into it and my russian is quite good (better than my Engish :p) so I watch their broadcast. And they are really funny when they talk about Patrick :> AND: They no how to keep quiet at the right moments, so you can enjoy the performances. I really appreciate it!

Spikydurian, you are from Australia? So you have to suffer as well while watching livestreams?! I hate my time zone when cometitions are held in North America! Sometimes I have to stay up till 4am :scowl: But I love it when competitions are held in Japan or China. Than I can watch figureskating right after breakfast!

Kuan

Final Flight
hhhmmm...:laugh:
my favorit example (I just watched it again some days ago)

Do you remember TEB 2011? Patrick slipped during his stepsequence after the trippel axel. The commentator was making fun of him a little bit. He sounded like he was talking with a little kid, saying "Oi oi oi! The ice in paris seems to be icy, huh?" I had to laugh so hard. It doesn´t sound funny, but the ironic way he SAID this was so good. :rofl:

This season at COR two of them talked about is looks, especially his eyes. This was funny too (but a little bit mean as well) But I can´t recall it completly. I am going to search for this video. Then I can give you an exat translation, ok?

Kuan

Final Flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zM0io7Ctqw

Found it. But it was only one man speaking (my retantion is bad :)) First he praised his skating and artistry to the skies and bevor the camera showed kiss and cry, he thouht he should add something about his personality and said something like this while laughing:... "he is a very comical young man (hope it is the right translation for "parin"), just take a look at his eyes"...than he searched for the right word..." they are a little bit..how to say...insane?"

I really had to laught about this :laugh: because I know he did not ment to insult him. Russian commentators love Patrick. Like I do (and his eyes al well)! :yes:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
A little insanity goes a long way!

Actually, Patrick's right eye can't move upward and it probably also had something to do with his difficulty in balance. When quite young, he used to sit in a chair and get spun round and round before going on to the ice. I assume he overcame this particular problem. Yes, a little insanity goes a long way. ;)

I like the way he fixes his eyes at the person talking to him, with a smile on his face, looking very sweet and sincere. A little fire in those eyes before a performance is always great too. But fire does not go with this season's programs. :)

The Russian commentator did talk a lot! Wish I understand all he said. I've always liked to hear what different commentators say about different skaters. Unfortunately, French videos are generally geoblocked. :mad: Chinese commentators are all business, giving background info before the skate, shutting up completely during the performance, and discussing technical merits and COP during the K&C. However, besides GPF 2010, Patrick does not compete in China, since COC is back to back with SC.

Kuan

Final Flight
Ohhh. I didn't know that. ( ;´Д`) Poor Baby-Patrick!

You know so much SkateFiguring! :bow:
I also like the way Patrick fixes the person who is talking to him. Then he is nodding und makes a sound like "uhu, uhu" to signal that he is listening. So cute :eek::

Kuan

Final Flight
Again: Sorry for my poor Englisch. I think I have made some stupid mistakes in my last posts. But I will give my best. :>

spikydurian

Medalist
Found it. But it was only one man speaking (my retantion is bad :)) First he praised his skating and artistry to the skies and bevor the camera showed kiss and cry, he thouht he should add something about his personality and said something like this while laughing:... "he is a very comical young man (hope it is the right translation for "parin"), just take a look at his eyes"...than he searched for the right word..." they are a little bit..how to say...insane?"
I really had to laught about this :laugh: because I know he did not ment to insult him. Russian commentators love Patrick. Like I do (and his eyes al well)!
:laugh: Yes Kuan. Patrick is funny and has a sense of humour. During an interview in 2011, the journalist asked him something like what is funny about himself, and Patrick responded by opening his eyes wide and said "my eyes". I think the link to that vid could be found on this thread. :biggrin:
Isn't it only recently he said he was wondering whether his pants would stay dry after a bad diarrhea. :laugh:

Unfortunately, figure skating is not popular in Australia too so like you, Kuan, I have to contend with watching live streaming like you. I am thankful that Australia has access to ru.tv live streaming. Well, something is better than nothing right? :)

Last edited:

lakeside

On the Ice
Are you guys going to give him a hat at the Worlds? That’ll be wonderful. Maybe he’ll wear the new hat at the gala. :biggrin:

You make us all panic, lakeside!:laugh:
Sorry for making you panic. Anyway I wish Patrick will be in the best form at the Worlds and show us the hat trick.

figuristka

Medalist
Cute clip after Patrick's interview with strombo on breaking the ice. Link didn't work on here but can be found on Patrick's twitter on GS.

emdee

Final Flight
Fingers crossed for Patrick. May he have the skate of his year!

I have made a bristol board sign - white with navy writing saying GO PATRICK

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So this is it - Worlds 2013. I was supposed to be in Asia this week but am not. So hopefully I will at least get to watch Patrick's hat-trick on TV.

Go Patrick!

Kuan

Final Flight
I am so exited!!! Can´t wait till tomorrow. :yay: Hope I can get some sleep.

I want Patrick to win the short so badly or at least go beyond 90, so he will have a lot of confindence for the long. I know he can do it!!! :bow:

Go Patrick!

flaneur

On the Ice
In a ramp up to Worlds, I went through all of Patrick's nationals freeskates starting from 2004 (bad case of insomnia was the other reason). With Patrick basically changing coaches every year or two since the death of Colson, what struck me was how much impact each coach has had on him through his career thus far.

2006 Ozzie Colson: movement and skating skills/deep edges (his jumps were only so-so but the way he moved on the ice was different)
2007 Shin Amano: maturing in jumps
2008 Don Laws: packaging and presentation. there was a sudden marked improvement in how everything knitted together and his ability for footwork/skating skills is brought into the fore
2010 Lori Nichol: transitions
2010 Christy Krall: textbook jumping technique
2013 Kathy Johnson: arms and upper body movement

Granted, each improvement may have more to do with him maturing than just coaching changes.

What also struck me was the changes that he has brought to men's figure skating. After he first started winning, I feel that there was a move by a lot of skaters to improve their skating skills (I think Daisuke went to Olivier Shoenfelder to improve his skating technique, and Hanyu has said that after watching Patrick he started trying for deeper edges). In the 2011 nationals when he completed 2 quads the commentators were gobsmacked (yes, 2 quads have been done before but not usually by a skater known for skating skills and footwork). And now, SS + 2 quads are an old hat and are basically the minimal requirement for any contender.