Patrick Chan | Page 146 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
A little over a month ago, I posted here that I wanted to blog about figure skating, specifically Patrick, for the first time. Well, the post is finally done. I couldn't pick just one program, so I chose three: Take Five, Aranjuez, and Don't Worry, Be Happy. I wrote the blog post in a way that (hopefully) non-fans would understand, including putting timestamps in parentheses. It's quite long, but then, my GS posts are always quite long, so that's nothing new! :laugh: If you choose to read it, I hope you enjoy it.

Patrick Chan: Genius on Ice

Meoima

Match Penalty
A little over a month ago, I posted here that I wanted to blog about figure skating, specifically Patrick, for the first time. Well, the post is finally done. I couldn't pick just one program, so I chose three: Take Five, Aranjuez, and Don't Worry, Be Happy. I wrote the blog post in a way that (hopefully) non-fans would understand, including putting timestamps in parentheses. It's quite long, but then, my GS posts are always quite long, so that's nothing new! :laugh: If you choose to read it, I hope you enjoy it.
thank you so much.
The first photo you use. I loveEEEEE that program of his. Actually I hope he had used it for Olympic season. I love the costume and the music. :yay:

m0001

On the Ice

Thanks Skatingfan4ever! I enjoyed reading it so much!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am now your fan, skatingfan4ever. Stay on your rainbow and wave at us from time to time please.
All Patrick fans are welcome to join me on the rainbow. ;) Thanks for the kind words. I may do more Patrick blog posts in the future, and if so I will post the links here. I feel a bit guilty for not wanting to blog about other current skaters, but really I don't have the motivation to analyze other current skaters' programs in this way (especially having to put timestamps in the post for the benefit of non-fans/casual fans). Past skaters like Kwan, G&G, S&Z, maybe.

Thanks everyone for the support! :)

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
This is very interesting :eek: I hope the team can produce more comparisons among skaters, specifically of other elements & also among skaters at singular competitions.
Yeah, this analytics software could help a lot in term of PCS scoring. :yes:

peg

Medalist
This is very interesting :eek: I hope the team can produce more comparisons among skaters, specifically of other elements & also among skaters at singular competitions.

They compared speed of the top women at Skate Canada going into their jumps. IIRC, Tuk and Leonova were in the 23-24 km/hr range, while Ashley was just over 20 km/hr. Might explain her UR problems.

Also, Hanyu goes into jumps just a smidge slower than Patrick. I can't recall if they talked about other male skater.

Meoima

Match Penalty
They compared speed of the top women at Skate Canada going into their jumps. IIRC, Tuk and Leonova were in the 23-24 km/hr range, while Ashley was just over 20 km/hr. Might explain her UR problems.
Also, Hanyu goes into jumps just a smidge slower than Patrick. I can't recall if they talked about other male skater.
This is so interesting. Do you have the link to the broadcast?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Sorry, I don't. I was watching it on an actual TV :shocked:
:drama: what a pity! I really want to watch how they measure the skater's performances. I hope this software will be used in the near future to help the judges.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

Thanks for sharing this. I hope they will report even more analysis in the future :yes:

spikydurian

Medalist

Love your blog, love your outlook, skatngfan. A rainbow for every cloud, a rainbow for every storm.:love:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I expected Patrick to say something. He's now lost two coaches. It used to be a regular sight to see him with an old man at the K&C but now they are gone. He was a pollbearer for Mr. Colson and I wonder if he would be involved in Mr. Laws' funeral.

m0001

On the Ice
From his Facebook:
"What a profound sadness I feel today on hearing about the loss of my friend and coach Don Laws. You taught me so much on and off the ice. Thank you for the being a part of this journey with me as a friend, you were the beginning of a great learning experience. You will always be in my thoughts and in my heart. Rest well."

Meoima

Match Penalty
Poor PChiddy... Just image what he is feeling right now...:cry: but both of his coaches were great masters. I can see him in the future become a great coach like them if he wants. Stay strong! PChiddy!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Beautiful sentiments expressed by Patrick (and Scott Hamilton as well). May Don Laws rest in peace. Maybe he and Mr. Colson are up in heaven together now marveling at what Patrick has become and is becoming. When I heard the news, I flashed back to 2008 Nationals -- it feels like a lifetime ago and like yesterday at the same time.