Patrick Chan | Page 141 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

yyyskate

Record Breaker
recently, I started to watch figure skating programs more closely from choreo, dance etc perspective. I viewed a few famous Patrick's programs. I found that Patrick's long program is like a feast, (whereas others' perhaps like a treat in that sense). There are so many substances in it, almost 2,3 times load of choreo(including skating skill showcase and transitions) of others' program. it is really a lot for me to fully digest even one of his programs. let alone the concept, construction, performance, acting part... A lot to learn from Patrick's program. both Lori and David Wilson created genius programs for him. A great resource/case to study their choreo...

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Thanks, that is indeed lovely. Can someone please translate what are they talking about, especially regarding the Olympic experience.

Meoima

Match Penalty
So lovely! Both Miyu and PChan!
I don't want him to retire, but this adorable video clip just made me feel that Patrick could be a very good coach... Now I want to see him in K&C too... I know I'm being greedy:slink:
PChiddy could be a really good coach. His students will all have suave skills!!

dasani

On the Ice
So lovely! Both Miyu and PChan!
I don't want him to retire, but this adorable video clip just made me feel that Patrick could be a very good coach... Now I want to see him in K&C too... I know I'm being greedy:slink:

We definitely need to see more vids of Patrick working with young kids! He's so sweet with Miyu I couldn't stop smiling the whole time watching the clip.
I do also want to see more of Patrick in future competitions too! Hope he will get to enjoy his student life a bit, and then come back to compete.

Also I think it is just announced recently that Patrick will be performing at the Japan SOI Osaka tour (Jan 10-12, 2015), another event to look forward to after Japan Open.:biggrin:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks, that is indeed lovely. Can someone please translate what are they talking about, especially regarding the Olympic experience.
Quick Translation.
If others find discrepancies, please correct.

Regarding the Olympic experience:
It's important not to focus too much on the Olympics, you can focus on it when it comes.
This is from my experience, so I try not to pressure anyone to go to the Olympics and win.

Narrator explaining about the last group of 6 at the Olympics and how during the warm up there was an intense feeling of nervousness on everyone.

Clip showing Patrick stumbling on triple axel and at the ending pose, it says 'the Pressure of the Gold Medal -result Silver Medal'

Lady asks Patrick: At the Olympics you got the Silver, but honestly, deep down, you were aiming for gold?

Patrick: How can you say that?!! LOL. Going into the long program Hanyu made some mistakes and it was my turn.
But at that time I could not control my feelings. So I got the silver. But I'm not discouraged about it.
When I was a junior I wasn't winning medals, I never imagined I would get to the olympics.
I thought of quitting skating many times, but because I didn't give up, I made it here.

Narrator: What Patrick thinks about japan's skaters, starting with his biggest rival Yuzuru.

Patrick: Yuzuru is younger than me, but he tries very hard, his level of skating is rising steadily. Of course, his skills as a skater are amazing, but he's also a great human being, a nice guy. Humble towards everyone, he has a heart that people respect.
Not only Yuzuru, in Japan, there are many skaters with great skills, training from a young age. That's why there are so many skaters in japan with many techniques, it's wonderful. Recently they have been getting high placements. So my field of the Men's Singles is getting more and more difficult. At this time, Japan is pulling figure skating forward.

About mao:
Mao is my age, so we are close. Since Juniors we've seen each other grow up. And this season we are both taking the season off.
We occasionally talk about what we want to do about the next Olympics, but nobody knows what will happen from here.
I too, am looking forward to what Mao will do.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't like that lady, why did she asked PChiddy the question about silver or gold, she must have known it's uncomfortable for him!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't like that lady, why did she asked PChiddy the question about silver or gold, she must have known it's uncomfortable for him!
She is your typical Japanese TV announcer/personality. In shows like this they always have to ask these personal questions. It is insensitive though.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Thanks for your quick translation, much appreciated.
I dont know what to say.....
Well, Patrick can take it all in and brace it humbly, it is not easy......., and he said all the right words this time.
I have my respect for Patrick as a mature and sincere man.

Meoima

Match Penalty
She is your typical Japanese TV announcer/personality. In shows like this they always have to ask these personal questions. It is insensitive though.
I know but they should have scripted carefully before asking him. She should have known that Yuzuru even fall twice. Both of them got nervous and messed up in the long. It's a sad experience for all skaters that night. Yet she asked him that question!!! I hope PChiddy didn't mind. He already suffered enough scrutiny from Canada media already.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I know but they should have scripted carefully before asking him. She should have known that Yuzuru even fall twice. Both of them got nervous and messed up in the long. It's a sad experience for all skaters that night. Yet she asked him that question!!! I hope PChiddy didn't mind. He already suffered enough scrutiny from Canada media already.

They may have told him they were going to ask that question before hand?
I don't know for sure...but when I was very young I went on a TV show like this, and they wanted everything to look 'on the spot' but they did tell us what questions they would ask in advance.

But Patrick handled it well and with humor, so good for him. It must be tiring to be asked over and over about the same thing though.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ for that and for the fact that Patrick can perform wholeheartedly in Japan (although it is where the money is). I have my respect for him. it is not easy .....