Patrick Chan | Page 82 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
can anyone do me a favor? what did the commentator and Honda say about Patrick?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GdIzi50EMvM#t=788s
Must be something to do with speed and edges .. the only words I can understand from Honda.:p

STARushka, when you said you sat in front of the judges, do you mean the opposite side of the rink facing the judges? :)

Emdee, the COI is so exciting. Four great Canadian male skaters: Kurt, Patrick, Elvis and Jeff. Have fun and please report back here.

emdee

Final Flight
Emdee, the COI is so exciting. Four great Canadian male skaters: Kurt, Patrick, Elvis and Jeff. Have fun and please report back here.

And Joannie and Duhamel and Radford! And On Ice tickets - I will be in viewing heaven. A nice Christmas pres to myself

STARushka

Rinkside
STARushka, when you said you sat in front of the judges, do you mean the opposite side of the rink facing the judges? :)

Yeah, exactly there ;)

Agree and a bit envious concerning COI :biggrin:

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
can anyone do me a favor? what did the commentator and Honda say about Patrick?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GdIzi50EMvM#t=788s

The commentator said, "Such splendid steps with his whole body's movement, dynamic jumps executed with high speed, skating as if his edges were licking the ice, those are Patrick's trademarks. And the key to such accomplishments is, according to Mr. Orser, skating skill. If a skater improve his skating skill, he can get high marks regarding both technique and presentation."

Mr. Honda ;"Patrick never loses speed while doing steps. Each of his movements is so smooth and his edges are incredibly tilted, which we call deep edges."

Pardon me my awkwardness, as I translated this roughly.

Takeshi Honda always admires Patrick's amazing skating skill;)

SGrand

Final Flight
The commentator said, "Such splendid steps with his whole body's movement, dynamic jumps executed with high speed, skating as if his edges were licking the ice, those are Patrick's trademarks. And the key to such accomplishments is, according to Mr. Orser, skating skill. If a skater improve his skating skill, he can get high marks regarding both technique and presentation."

Mr. Honda ;"Patrick never loses speed while doing steps. Each of his movements is so smooth and his edges are incredibly tilted, which we call deep edges."

Too bad he'll apparently be beating Patrick at World's this year :laugh: ;)

Boeing787

On the Ice

Thank you so much, Aprilsnowy! Your English is very good, better than mine at least.

spikydurian

Medalist
Thank you very much Aprilsnowy for taking the time to translate for us. :bow: I am grateful and appreciative of your kindness. Our Japan bureau is :thumbsup: I am happy that fellow skaters acknowledged Patrick's skating skills. Excited I may be for Patrick heading towards 2014 Sochi, sometimes I feel a wee bit sad that he may retire after that. So I tell myself that I am going to enjoy whatever he brings to competition now and 'ride the journey with him' including biting my finger nails each time he competes.:laugh:

STARushka.... I am going to freeze the vid to look for you! ;)

Thanks Deedee1 for the article. Nice of you to post it here. I will run it through GoogleChrome on another computer later.

emdee

Final Flight
So now we Chanfans are truly international.

Japan Bureau
Australia Bureau
Russia Bureau
Canada Bureau

any other comers?

spikydurian

Medalist
So now we Chanfans are truly international.

Japan Bureau
Australia Bureau
Russia Bureau
Canada Bureau

any other comers?

:yay: Maybe some day we ChanFans can get together for an international ChanFan meeting! Australia Bureau' doors are always opened if any of Bureau Representatives come to Australia! ;)

Any rep from USA? South Korea? Not sure where some of us are from? SGrand? :)

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
I may take you up on that Spiky but I dont know when. The barrier reef is on my list of places to see. I have also wanted to do the Cairns to Singapore cruise and see the Komodo dragons!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Sorry I have no time translate it, but here is a very nice article on Patrick from Nikkei Shimbun this morning. :)

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZZO48562270Y2A111C1000000/?dg=1

Patrick Chan's "Biggest Rival"
22.11.2012 at 7:00

Quad Energizes Skaters

Before Vancouver, most men's skaters didn't try to do a quad. Nowadays, quad is no longer surprise. Skaters plan a quad in both SP and LP and if they don't have three, their victory will be difficult.
Chan used to be one of the most famous being quadless. However after Olympics he changed. In recent two seasons, he landed three quads in SP and LP.

"I think men's figure skating is fun to watch now. I started training a quad from Vancouver's season. Then I was thinking I need to do at least two quads, otherwise I'll not be able to compete in the future. The quadruple jump energizes for skaters."

However, all Japanese skaters say the quad is special. They can land Triples or Triple Axel without thinking. But the quad is completely different...

Painful Memory in Vancouver

Chan also says "The quadruple jump takes more time. It needs the power of concentration, especially, pattern of before takeoff is very important. Maybe people think I do a quad easily. No. It's not easy as they think it is."

Vancouver Olympics is a bitter memory for Chan. He won a silver medal at the World championships in 2009. So his home country expected him Olympic gold medal. Then he was 19.

"All our athletes wanted to win and felt nervous. Everyone felt like that. Most of all, I was feeling like that. I wondered what would happen." However, he finished only fifth due to the injury of before 2009-2010 season.
Olympics was totally different. "It was a very big event. It's impossible to compare Olympics with other events. It had enormous number of viewers. Though when you stand on the ice, I think it was no different from any other competitions."

But according to him, the reason why he didn't get a medal was not because he was tense but he felt pressed. "I really wanted very much to compete soon. So I couldn't calm down. At the Olympics, I learned a lot. For example, how important to control my mind and to stay healthy."

The Strongest - Plushenko and Takahashi

Now we can see many strong skaters all over the world. But Chan names the 2006 Olympic champion and two-time Olympic silver medalist Evgeni Plushenko and the 2010 Olympic bronze medalist Daisuke Takahashi as his biggest rivals in Sochi.

"I think they are the strongest skaters. Although today many strong skaters do quads, they are still young and inexperienced. But Plushenko and Takahashi have a lot of experience. I do think it is a great advantage in Olympics" - Chan said. ;)

(Masako Hara)

http://t.co/27t7S30t ;)

Last edited:

SGrand

Final Flight
:yay: Maybe some day we ChanFans can get together for an international ChanFan meeting! Australia Bureau' doors are always opened if any of Bureau Representatives come to Australia! ;)

Canada!!! :)

Thanks for the article Deedee and for the translation Plushyfan!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States

I'm from the USA! I'd be happy to be the US ChanFan Rep. I've always felt a bit guilty because Patrick is my favorite male skater even though I am not Canadian. I'm proud to be American, but I'm equally proud to be a Chan fan!!! :biggrin: