Patrick Chan | Page 94 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Get your hats ready, guys!

Early in the season Guru SF said Patrick would bottom out at GPF 2012, perfectly timed to win his Worlds hat trick and rise all the way to Sochi. :yay: Don't you doubt or worry about the nay sayers. :disapp:

ciocio

On the Ice
Get your hats ready, guys!

Early in the season Guru SF said Patrick would bottom out at GPF 2012, perfectly timed to win his Worlds hat trick and rise all the way to Sochi. :yay: Don't you doubt or worry about the nay sayers. :disapp:

I'm not SF, I'm not!:yay:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh my heavens, what a strange World Men's event...AGAIN!!! The most shocking thing is that BOTH Takahashi and Hanyu were off the podium. Who would have thought! I'm thrilled for Denis Ten for finally being able to put it together. Kevin Reynolds has had a very good season, so congrats to him. Now about Patrick...

The SP was FABULOUS and I loved every second of it! It was exactly how that program is supposed to be, smooth and calm. And, I think this is the first time Patrick has finished in sync with the music, although I couldn't really tell because the crowd was so loud :laugh: The LP, however, was a different story, and with it Patrick merely gave more fuel to the haters' fire. The haters say that Patrick is arrogant and a sore loser. I don't see that at all. I mean, he was not at all happy at the end of his LP and was really disappointed in himself. He actually apologized to the crowd for not skating better. And he also said afterward that while he was skating he thought he might not win. Oh well, I guess if people really want to see someone as arrogant, they will do so no matter what. I just think there's so much controversy surrounding Patrick these days that people tend to forget how good of a skater he actually is. Sigh :disapp:

All we can hope for as fans is that the Sochi Olympics is a cleaner event for all the men so that whoever wins has an undisputed victory. That would be the perfect world scenario.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Well, I knew Takahashi would be 6th or 7th and Hanyu might be a medalist but not a World Champ. Just could not say so in the forum for obvious reasons. I also expected controversies because this Worlds is being held during a Mercury retrograde after all. Two more events with probably more disputed results to come. The Mens event was terrible with under-performances from all top skaters except Denis Ten :rock: who put it all together at the right time. (Jubert went clean with an empty LP and technical cheatings.) Patrick won because of his SP and the poor showing of his rivals.

Patrick just came off his cycle low and nowhere near his peak. Saving it for the Olympics is a good thing even though he was joking. This is a good pre Olympic experience for him about handling pressure while wanting it too badly. I even hope he would take a lesson from Plushenko and refuse to talk to the media before the competition in Sochi. Also hope that he would go back to Lori for his Olympic programs.

Haters will hate but Patrick can bank his titles and continue to learn and progress towards being an all time great. Congratulations for his hat trick!

SGrand

Final Flight
Oh my heavens, what a strange World Men's event...AGAIN!!! The most shocking thing is that BOTH Takahashi and Hanyu were off the podium. Who would have thought! I'm thrilled for Denis Ten for finally being able to put it together. Kevin Reynolds has had a very good season, so congrats to him. Now about Patrick...

The SP was FABULOUS and I loved every second of it! It was exactly how that program is supposed to be, smooth and calm. And, I think this is the first time Patrick has finished in sync with the music, although I couldn't really tell because the crowd was so loud :laugh: The LP, however, was a different story, and with it Patrick merely gave more fuel to the haters' fire. The haters say that Patrick is arrogant and a sore loser. I don't see that at all. I mean, he was not at all happy at the end of his LP and was really disappointed in himself. He actually apologized to the crowd for not skating better. And he also said afterward that while he was skating he thought he might not win. Oh well, I guess if people really want to see someone as arrogant, they will do so no matter what. I just think there's so much controversy surrounding Patrick these days that people tend to forget how good of a skater he actually is. Sigh :disapp:

All we can hope for as fans is that the Sochi Olympics is a cleaner event for all the men so that whoever wins has an undisputed victory. That would be the perfect world scenario.

I get the same from him, he is by no means arrogant, I think he was genuinely embarrassed and kind of shocked by his marks and he knows there will be controversy and he will be grilled about it. And what is he supposed to say in the end? Of course he will joke and attempt to be positive and then get defensive. What else is he going to do? How many athletes actually come out and state that they should not have won something? I mean really, all this hate for him, it's really sad, I feel for him (and the sport) in so many ways. It does him and FS no favours.

spikydurian

Medalist
Back from holidays to a most wonderful post-birthday gift! Sooo happy for Patrick. Of course, with that 1 point margin, there are bound to be rumblings just like any close competitions (eg. Olympics 2010)!

Emdee, did you and the 'gang' threw hats in the ring for Patrick? I haven't watch the vids yet

SF, I wouldn't mind your predictions coming true, and I am glad it did. :biggrin: Ten was a surprise win and totally unpredicted but happy for him and his country. I think Hanyu will return in form next season. I was stunned by Dai's placings (haven't seen all the vids yet or followed up on what happened) but I am sure he will be back in the hunting too.

skatingfan4ever said:
Oh my heavens, what a strange World Men's event...AGAIN!!! The most shocking thing is that BOTH Takahashi and Hanyu were off the podium. Who would have thought! I'm thrilled for Denis Ten for finally being able to put it together.
:agree:

I'm not SF, I'm not!:yay:
Go away ciocio. :laugh: BTW, 'ciocio' means 'smelly' in one of the dialects I know. :p Not kidding.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I get the same from him, he is by no means arrogant, I think he was genuinely embarrassed and kind of shocked by his marks and he knows there will be controversy and he will be grilled about it. And what is he supposed to say in the end? Of course he will joke and attempt to be positive and then get defensive. What else is he going to do? How many athletes actually come out and state that they should not have won something? I mean really, all this hate for him, it's really sad, I feel for him (and the sport) in so many ways. It does him and FS no favours.
The other thing I'm concerned about is that if Patrick wins the OGM, many people will not consider him a worthy winner (depending, of course, on how his Olympic programs go). If he wins despite mistakes, then people will say, "Well, he was gifted two of his World titles and the OGM, so he's not a real champion." They may also say, "This whole quad was terrible because of Patrick, since other men didn't get their due." Of course, people love to debate results even years after they happen, so I guess that would be nothing new. I just feel like Patrick gets accused of "taking" other people's medals a lot more than other skaters do. As I've said before, Patrick ultimately has very little control over his scores. I don't know how many times I've read something like, "The judging system sucks because Patrick Chan can win with mistakes," as if he is the only instance of people getting controversial placements. I worry about his long-term legacy in the sport due to all this controversy. Then again, this may be just a fan perception, because other skaters seem to really respect him.

A solution to this frustration would be to not read any comments on the internet about Patrick other than what's on this thread. I've decided to do that several other times but then found myself too curious to stay away. Maybe I'll actually do it during next season. And, if Patrick skates lights out in Sochi, a lot of this griping is likely to go away (like it did for Yu-Na Kim after last night). He'll always be number one in my heart no matter what; I just hope he becomes less hated and more appreciated by a lot of other people as well. Anyway, sorry for rambling so much.

emdee

Final Flight
Spiky,
I threw a hat and saw one other.
I wrote PC #1 in Sochi
From your fans at golden skate and then I put a few of our names.
The girls behind started chanting Patrick hat trick after I told them about it.

Poor PC so embarrassed but his quads were fabulous.

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks Emdee for taking the trouble to send our good wishes to Patrick.
SF, your hat trick suggestion was brilliant. So glad Emdee and others took the hat suggestion. There was a plan B right? If things do don't turn out the way it was, hats to Kurt.:laugh:
BTW, how's the meeting up with luckiest1 and others? The Mao pix.. she's so charming.

emdee

Final Flight
Yuka was in our section one day. I was gob smacked she looks gorgeous. We took pics.
Also met Shibs at lunch. Didn't meet up with Patrick.

It was a tough skate for Patrick skating with the huge screams of crowds must be hard for concentration

Kuan

Final Flight
The other thing I'm concerned about is that if Patrick wins the OGM, many people will not consider him a worthy winner (depending, of course, on how his Olympic programs go). If he wins despite mistakes, then people will say, "Well, he was gifted two of his World titles and the OGM, so he's not a real champion." They may also say, "This whole quad was terrible because of Patrick, since other men didn't get their due." Of course, people love to debate results even years after they happen, so I guess that would be nothing new. I just feel like Patrick gets accused of "taking" other people's medals a lot more than other skaters do. As I've said before, Patrick ultimately has very little control over his scores. I don't know how many times I've read something like, "The judging system sucks because Patrick Chan can win with mistakes," as if he is the only instance of people getting controversial placements. I worry about his long-term legacy in the sport due to all this controversy. Then again, this may be just a fan perception, because other skaters seem to really respect him.

A solution to this frustration would be to not read any comments on the internet about Patrick other than what's on this thread. I've decided to do that several other times but then found myself too curious to stay away. Maybe I'll actually do it during next season. And, if Patrick skates lights out in Sochi, a lot of this griping is likely to go away (like it did for Yu-Na Kim after last night). He'll always be number one in my heart no matter what; I just hope he becomes less hated and more appreciated by a lot of other people as well. Anyway, sorry for rambling so much.

You took the worlds right of my broken little heart! Some of the comments at FS-men thread were just... evil and hurtful (don´t konw if ist is the right word). It is okay to question the judgeing, but for some it was just a good chance to abuse Patrick :frown:

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I was thrilled to be there. Patrick was very classy, admitted that it wasn't whathe wanted and apologized. But then thanked the fans for lifting him. What more can he say? And yes, there will be tons of hating and attacking when Sochi happens so I'm going to stay away from the haters and hang out with the ubers. Much more fun! I wonder if this kind of thing is as extreme amongst bobsled or snowboarding fans!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Stopping by to Congratulate Patrick on his 3rd World Title! Impressive!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many congratulations to Patrick and his fans for his remarkable 'Three-peat'! Especially in his home country...must be the most thrilling and exciting to happen for Patrick, his family and all his fans. :yes:

ETA: Who else won three World title in a row in Mens discipline, btw? I hope blue feels much better now, me remembering his/her avator. ;) Because I, for instance, am rather glad to realize that the 'dreadful' pre-Olympic season's nearing to its end for some skaters and its fans. Am looking forward to seeing and enjoying bb's comments more often in the new season. :yes: My apology for a bit OT, guys. ;)