Patrick Chan | Page 90 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I really like Patrick's new ex program and am hoping and waiting for video upload.

I have a couple of mind practices for Patrick if only he would ask me. ;)

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
I saw his new EX at the Canadian Nationals on TV.
I love this cool and charming program, too. :love:
His performance has become much better than last year's show. Patrick must have worked so hard not to drop his cap while skating.:clap:
Actually he dropped it once, but it didn't matter to me:laugh:

Japanese commentators seemed struck with awe.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick was churning out ex programs every month or two last season but it took him a long time to unveil this new program because it involves non skating skills he had to learn and practice. He did great. Love it. Also he wears a real show costume. :)

lakeside

On the Ice
I saw his new EX at the Canadian Nationals on TV.
I love this cool and charming program, too. :love:
His performance has become much better than last year's show. Patrick must have worked so hard not to drop his cap while skating.:clap:
Actually he dropped it once, but it didn't matter to me:laugh:

Japanese commentators seemed struck with awe.
What? Japanese TV showed Patrick’s exhibition program? Good news! Glad that Patrick has more fans in Japan.

If anyone find the Ex, please download it here. I couldn't find it.:disapp:
I don’t find it on youtube either. I wish someone will upload it so more people can watch it. I think this program will attract new fans. :love:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Still no videos of Canadian Gala, not even on CTV or TSN sites. But there is this Ice Network articles from a few days ago.

Nebraska nips: Chan gives Aaron a training boost

A friend of mine asked about the tiff between Patrick and Elvis as mentioned during the Nationals broadcast. I told him it was just Elvis commenting on the importance of quads in Mens figure skating after the last Olympics and lamenting its demise, and that the first time Patrick got to meet him doing a show together with 2 other Canadian World Champs, he took the opportunity to learn from Elvis. Patrick has been good friends with Kurt and Jeff and no doubt has always picked their brains but he sure would not miss the first chance he had with Elvis! Nice of him to mentor others himself.

SGrand

Final Flight
Awww that's really nice to hear.
When Patrick did the show with Elvis in Stratford, they had a moment before doing their own individual things at the end and they were chatting and joking around, it was great to see, especially since there was all of the 'drama' around the 2010 Olys lol.

Anyway, if you live in Canada, check out Patrick this Thursday on George Stroumboulopoulis on CBC!
http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/weekly-schedule/guests-week-of-february-4-2013.html?p=tv&s=tv_schedule

spikydurian

Medalist
Awww that's really nice to hear.
When Patrick did the show with Elvis in Stratford, they had a moment before doing their own individual things at the end and they were chatting and joking around, it was great to see, especially since there was all of the 'drama' around the 2010 Olys lol.
The press played up the comments on both sides. I don't think Elvis was directing his comments at Patrick or anyone else. He just wanted to see more athletes try quads and at that time, not many skaters were trying quads since the reward was not worth the risk.
Anyway, I don't think Patrick dare offend Elvis. Here's what he says from this article.
We didn’t even talk about (Vancouver), which is good. Because he could kill me in an instant. He’s like karate master,” Chan added laughing. “I’d better be nice, better not mess with him.”
:laugh:

"I thought Pasquale [Camerlengo] was genius in selecting music that represented Max in his next step artistically," Zakrajsek added. "Between the short and the long, [NBC commentator] Sandra Bezic said something to Max that was really appropriate: 'Max, there is room for your style of skating in our sport. Let everyone get used to you and be yourself. Don't try to be someone else.'"
This is wise counsel from Sandra indeed. Every skater has their own strengths, weaknesses, personality and style. In my mind, Kurt, Elvis, Jeff and Patrick all have their own unique styles. I associate Kurt with 'entertainer', Elvis with 'power', Jeff with 'artistry' and Patrick with 'footwork'. Max comes across as very athletic and powerful skater.

Anyway, if you live in Canada, check out Patrick this Thursday on George Stroumboulopoulis on CBC!
http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/weekly-schedule/guests-week-of-february-4-2013.html?p=tv&s=tv_schedule
Can't view this over my end. :cry: Oh yes, before I went on my holidays, I remembered CBC was supposed to run a documentary regarding the skaters. Had it been shown? I think the title consists words like ... sweat? blood?

fwsf said:
However, I also think a coach is like the parents/adults who are to protect and defend the child/student. Here is the point, Patrick has to defend his coach, do 2 new programs (previously only one new program a year) and adapt to 2 new choreographers. Patrick may have taken on too much responsibility and challenges. And feeling the burden this season. May be a more experienced coach will not let him take on so much.
It's alright. This will be a steep learning curve for Patrick about life's challenges rather than just skating. He did say he had a tough time and personal problems leading to the 2012 World Championship. I want to see him to grow from these challenges and realign his priorities and perspectives leading to Sochi.

Patrick usually had close to perfect performance at Canadian National but not this year. I hope he just needs more time and peak at World this year. I’ll not be disappointed though if Takahashi wins World.
As Patrick fan, I want him to win gold but I am not going to scream foul play if he doesn't. ;)

Indeed SF, it is good to know that Patrick is not afraid to share his experience with a fellow competitor in Max, and similarly, Max is open in learning from his peers. Patrick learnt a lot from Jeff Buttle when they were both competing together (and acknowledged by Patrick in a figure skating article). Kindness begets kindness.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
If anyone find the Ex, please download it here. I couldn't find it.:disapp:

Sorry, I don't know how to upload the video I took on the HD of my DVD recorder.

What? Japanese TV showed Patrick’s exhibition program? Good news! Glad that Patrick has more fans in Japan.
Lakeside, a Japanese sports channel has broadcast the Canadian Nationals for 2 years running (and also 2010 as far as I remember), however, it's a pay TV. So I'm afraid the number of viewers is limited.

But next week they broadcast the Canadian Nationals once more for free. So I expect someone will upload it on Youtube.

BTW, I wonder why Canadian people cannot watch their Nationals' Gala on TV??? Is it because of the less popularity of this sports in Canada?

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
As Patrick fan, I want him to win gold but I am not going to scream foul play if he doesn't. ;)

Indeed SF, it is good to know that Patrick is not afraid to share his experience with a fellow competitor in Max, and similarly, Max is open in learning from his peers. Patrick learnt a lot from Jeff Buttle when they were both competing together (and acknowledged by Patrick in a figure skating article). Kindness begets kindness.

I agree with you. I was a hardcore Michelle Kwan fan, so after 2 Olympics of being nervous and then disappointed for her, I've learned that anything can happen at the Olympics, so whatever happens happens. That's why I think it's pointless to debate competition results, since we as fans can't change them anyway. Best of luck to Patrick and all the other skaters in Sochi! May it be a memorable Olympics with many clean programs! :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
But next week they broadcast the Canadian Nationals once more for free. So I expect someone will upload it on Youtube.

Oooh that would be great! Leave it to the Japanese to get things done. :thumbsup: :eek::

BTW, I wonder why Canadian people cannot watch their Nationals' Gala on TV??? Is it because of the less popularity of this sports in Canada?

I watched the Gala on TSN. Patrick's program was the highlight for me though some may like Tessa and Scott better. I was disappointed that Sandhu was not shown, and that the Gala program has not been put on TSN site. I can't upload but have been waiting for someone to do so.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Pchiddy twitted:

Please watch The National tonight at 10pm ET on the CBC Main Network and 9pm ET on CBC News Network. I'll be on talking to @petermansbridge!

SGrand

Final Flight
Here you go:
(there will be an extended version this saturday for the CBC's Road to Sochi segments)
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Shows/The+National/ID/2332035860/

He talks about why he has never used a sports psychologist, it's because Mr. Colson told him that if you need one, it's probably the end of you game (or something to that extent) lol. So he doesn't really believe in them and doesn't want to trust someone who doesn't understand what a skater is actually going through.
He also mentioned that he's had pretty great performances at Nat's since 2008 so he was feeling some pressure to deliver and definitely was not happy with that performance and knows it's not a gold medal when asked about the upcoming Oly's.
Hockey comes up, said he still makes comments to his mother about them never putting him in hockey as that's why he started figure skating in the first place lol.

BTW, like, they couldn't have shown more unattractive shots of our former champs. Poor Kurt, I think his was mid-air during a jump.

Also, I think he's in Calgary right now training with Andy O'Brian (as per Instagram).

spikydurian

Medalist
Here you go:
(there will be an extended version this saturday for the CBC's Road to Sochi segments)
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Shows/The+National/ID/2332035860/

He talks about why he has never used a sports psychologist, it's because Mr. Colson told him that if you need one, it's probably the end of you game (or something to that extent) lol. So he doesn't really believe in them and doesn't want to trust someone who doesn't understand what a skater is actually going through.
He also mentioned that he's had pretty great performances at Nat's since 2008 so he was feeling some pressure to deliver and definitely was not happy with that performance and knows it's not a gold medal when asked about the upcoming Oly's.
Hockey comes up, said he still makes comments to his mother about them never putting him in hockey as that's why he started figure skating in the first place lol.

BTW, like, they couldn't have shown more unattractive shots of our former champs. Poor Kurt, I think his was mid-air during a jump.

Also, I think he's in Calgary right now training with Andy O'Brian (as per Instagram).

Thanks SGrand. This I can see. Patrick has not been skating well or up to expectations this season (coming from almost perfection last season). I hope he knows what to do to train for Sochi. His affinity to Colson is obvious.... he keeps talking and referring to him in almost every interview.

Okay, a kind soul posted this ... Patrick's EX choreographed by Chris Dean in Canadians. It's pretty different from all his EX. I like the 'fun' of this program.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks SGrand. This I can see. Patrick has not been skating well or up to expectations this season (coming from almost perfection last season). I hope he knows what to do to train for Sochi. His affinity to Colson is obvious.... he keeps talking and referring to him in almost every interview.

Okay, a kind soul posted this ... Patrick's EX choreographed by Chris Dean in Canadians. It's pretty different from all his EX. I like the 'fun' of this program.
:bow: Oh my gosh, thank you so much for posting the Ex (thanks also to the uploader!) I LOVE it! Patrick makes it look easy but it's got to be hard to keep track of that hat. It was a really fun program to watch!

I enjoyed the interview too. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Colson is the first person Patrick thanks in interviews if he wins the OGM. They really had a father-son relationship and it's so obvious how much Patrick respects him. The bit about asking his mom why she didn't put him in hockey was interesting. That must happen only on rough training days, because otherwise he seems to love figure skating. When the interviewer said "6-minute programs" I thought, "The skaters can barely get through 4.5 minutes; heaven forbid there were ever 6-minute competitive programs!" Patrick combined the SP and LP to get 6 minutes. He didn't mean that each program was 6 minutes long. :laugh:

Last edited:

Kuan

Final Flight
:cry: ohhhh

I can not wacht Patricks EX. You Tube says it is not available in my country. What can I do to wacht it? I am really curious about his new EX...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Welcome Kuan to the Fest!

I'm surprised a YT video would be geoblocked. It seems a little patience is required of you but surely there will be others online soon. Or some Japanese fans will upload it next week.

Best wishes for Patrick getting his Hat Trick next month!

Kuan

Final Flight
Thank you SkateFiguring! I visited this fansfest almost every day but was to shy to Post something. I am a huge Chan Fan :p I think you noticed that my username is the second part of Patricks third name.
And I hope you all don't mind my poor englisch. :eek::

spikydurian

Medalist
:cry: ohhhh

I can not wacht Patricks EX. You Tube says it is not available in my country. What can I do to wacht it? I am really curious about his new EX...

And I hope you all don't mind my poor englisch

Hi Kuan, don't know why it is geoblocked in your country. Try copying this on the http. It may work? It works for me. http://youtu.be/K4VIbH43Zrs
It's a great program by Christopher Dean. There's some hat tricks and not just skating. I find it fun and something different for a change.

Oh .. I was wondering about your 'name'. Nice of you to use Patrick's last name .... I wasn't imaginative and observant enough to connect the two. :laugh: I kind of forgot his 'chinese name' too. Yeah.. Wai KUAN.

Who cares about English? ;) Communication is more fun if based on shared interests, fun than grammatically correct English/language.

Last edited:

Kuan

Final Flight
Thank you :)
But this does not work for me either. So I have to wait a few days longer... I hope he will skate it at worlds too. It is the only competition wich is broadcasted in Germany -.-