Patrick Chan | Page 56 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It was Patrick himself that said the waxel was due to a lapse of focus. He always owes up to all his mistakes, flukes or not, and never blames the ice or illness or any difficult situation he is in. He goes out there to perform and never gives up his program, offering no excuses and accepting the outcome. At 2009 Worlds SP, when the audience booed because he wazrobbed, he put his finger to his lips to hush them. I remember the French commentators were sure he should get 90 for his SP and ware incredulous he lost to their own Joubert. In the end, Patrick was very happy with his Silver, his first Worlds medal.

emdee

Final Flight
I love his 2009 SP myself. Especially when he won 4cc! Watch it from time to time.

I am big VM fan so I alternate between watching the two!

It is going to be such an exciting season for me especially as it will be my first and likely only worlds. And now that there will be Yuna and Plushy to see as well it will be sweet.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The 2009 SP is actually quite a fascinating one for me. I think that when people look back on Chan's career, they'll realize that his interpretation/performance skills are quite underrated. I love comparing the the 2009 4CC rendition of Exilados with the Worlds 2010 version. Same music, similar choreography, but slightly different effect. Really intriguing to me.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I still wonder if he did the right thing to get rid of his choreographer and coach - I know he wants to stretch himself but too much change and what was working to drop it eeks. He needs a lot to beat Takahasi who is loved by fans and judges. Abbott could come int play at any moment (and bomb too). Plushy could come back with a vengence. The lucky curse of evan lycacek could come back too. he's skating on thin ice or maybe just the edge...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick didn't "get rid of" his choreographer and coach. Krall resigned because of her reduced role and conflicts within Team Chan but she maintained her good feelings for Patrick and they call each other friends and Patrick will still train in the same rink. He has accepted the situation and moved on with a positive mindset to keep growing. This is a good year for him to try other choreographers and further develop his artistry.

He still has all other members of his team and we don't know if he has another skating coach but he mentioned he did and it was supposedly experimental. I have some guess and theory whom it might be but the latest bio update simply includes/promoted Eddie Shipstad the fish pole jump coach.

Takahashi and Abbott may be his equal in PCS on a good day or if Patrick's new programs are not as COP savvy, but Patrick still has a leg up in TES over these guys. Of the strong jumpers with high TES, none can compare with him in PCS. Of course we don't know for whom the stars will align at each competition but we have seen Patrick as a tough cookie mentally who never gives up no matter what happens in his performance.

My motto is Don't worry; Be a happy Patrick fan. :)

eta: an interesting YT I came across yeterday:

2012 World Men Free Skating_5components ranking

What confuzzles me is still Kozuka's ranks in these charts.

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Interesting ranking.
Are they saying Kozuka's world's medal was a fluke? I like Kozuka - how his blades whisper over the ice and his almost cat like movements. If he gets his jumps together he can be a contender.

Realistically I think all others are contenders ONLY if Patrick drops the ball. With all the negative comments judges may be more critical this season not wanting anyone to see him as the anointed one. The problem for them is that he is so darn good!

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Takahashi and Abbott may be his equal in PCS on a good day or if Patrick's new programs are not as COP savvy, but Patrick still has a leg up in TES over these guys. Of the strong jumpers with high TES, none can compare with him in PCS. Of course we don't know for whom the stars will align at each competition but we have seen Patrick as a tough cookie mentally who never gives up no matter what happens in his performance.

With all the negative comments judges may be more critical this season not wanting anyone to see him as the anointed one. The problem for them is that he is so darn good!

I totally agree with you, SF and emdee:thumbsup:
I believe Patrick no matter what! He indeed skates like God as his former coach said before.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Aprilsnowy, did you get Don Laws' quote from this site? How about translating the Japanese part of the text for us? :) (Hope that's is a sweet and irresistible smile.)

Til Kingdom Come on Youtube without Patrick's name :sarcasm:. (OK, I need to explain the expression is for how hard it is for Patrick fan to find this vid, not an ungrateful complaint.)

eta: Found this very good fancam 2012 Nice Patrick Chan FS from a seat which gives a nice perspective on speed and ice coverage of Patrick floating all over the rink.

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Patrick's speed hit me last year when I went for the Margaret Garrison awards show. The angle of the fancam above really shows the amazing ice coverage.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Aprilsnowy, did you get Don Laws' quote from this site? How about translating the Japanese part of the text for us? :) (Hope that's is a sweet and irresistible smile.)

Til Kingdom Come on Youtube without Patrick's name :sarcasm:. (OK, I need to explain the expression is for how hard it is for Patrick fan to find this vid, not an ungrateful complaint.)

I read the cover story of Patrick in the magazine, "International Figure Skating" in 2009. To hear 15 years-old Patrick had already been said to skate like God, I was not so surprised then.

Well, I always enjoy this site. The blogger is a much devoted fan of Patrick and she intentionally avoided to include his name in the title of the video for fear that the vid might be discovered by the TV company and then deleted after its protest.

As for translating the Japanese text in her blog, perhaps I'm not the right person because of my meager writing skill in English. But I'll try my best on weekends when I have more time.

I accept you as a Patrick Warrior!!!
I'm so honored, emdee:laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The blogger is a much devoted fan of Patrick and she intentionally avoided to include his name in the title of the video for fear that the vid might be discovered by the TV company and then deleted after its protest.

But vids of many DOI performances are already all over YT, save for Patrick's and Yuzuru's, for opposite reasons. (I know where to download Yuzuru's for those who are curious to see it.)

^^ Black really is Patrick's color not to mention his amazing presence on ice with just some cross-overs.

Btw, he's got a new girlfriend?! For all I know Patrick is one of busiest guy in figure skating in many ways:p

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^ Black really is Patrick's color not to mention his amazing presence on ice with just some cross-overs.

He was so constrained in that "rink". :) I saw his DOI video on a Chinese page yesterday and the fan commented that the rink was too small for him, :biggrin: just as our Japan Bureau Chief Aprilsnowy reported as a common comment by fans in the audience.

BTW, he has been on to a blue practice shirt these days. Very nice on him. We keep track of his clothes because it's so easy. :laugh: And our in house Patrick Fashion Consultant/Critique Skater Boy writes up wonderful, sometimes harsh, reviews.

Btw, he's got a new girlfriend?! For all I know Patrick is one of busiest guy in figure skating in many ways:p

Not so new now. I was referring to an earlier video ahead of this event where he was asked and he admitted but wouldn't reveal her name without her permission. He nonetheless gave enough hints for us to figure it out.

You missed out all the fun we had here!

noskates

Record Breaker
Good afternoon all. It's always a pleasure to come in here and read the conversations going on.

emdee

Final Flight
With two pushes he reaches the end of the rink. Thats why he is often so close to the boards and gives us all a heart attack.

emdee

Final Flight
The sound of him/his skate hitting the board in the GPF certainly had me jumping out of my seat!