Patrick Chan | Page 91 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Anyway, if you live in Canada, check out Patrick this Thursday on George Stroumboulopoulis on CBC!
http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/weekly-schedule/guests-week-of-february-4-2013.html?p=tv&s=tv_schedule

George Stroumboulopoulos preview clip (3:18 in length) here:

In this clip, Chan talks about...
- Jumps and the risk of falling
- Masculinity and figure skating​

Kuan

Final Flight
Missed having Patrick at 4cc.Hard to wait until Worlds to see his next skate. Though his skates this year have not been perfect loved his Rostelecom skate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFon3qNt3Fs. Don't know about a male partner lol but he would have made a great ice dancer iam sure.

I missed him as well :-/ and I am curious about his reaction about the podium at 4CC. He must be shocked about it, though I think he is proud of Kevin. But I think he will not see a rival in Kevin. His biggest rivals in London are still Hanyu, Takahaschi and Fernandez. Don´t get me wrong, I think Kevin skated brlliantly, but I doubt he woud have won against a clean Hanyu or Taka-San.

I Know it is not nice of me, but I am glad the japanese men showed some inconsistence in their performances as well. :p (Sorry) I hope Patrick will be a little bit more relaxed at worlds

And thank you very much for the interview-links. None of them were geoblocked :p I liked his socks <3

figuristka

Medalist
Yes Dai, and even Hanyu did not have their best competiton , iam sure they will be better at World's but perhaps they already had their best short and long of the season earlier?, Hopefully Patrick is building and will peak at Worlds and show his best performance of the season. Should be a close competition. He said in the interview he needs more mileage so at the end of his Free the lactic acid doesn't build up making his body tired and doubts creep into his head. Really admire Patrick, Dai and Yuzuru and hope its them on the podium again as they to me have the best combination of technique and artistry. Fernandez is certainly a superb jumper and moving closer to them. Kevin is such a consistent jumper this year and improved his choreography, i cannot quite put him in the top group as he lacks power.

spikydurian

Medalist
Missed having Patrick at 4cc.Hard to wait until Worlds to see his next skate. Though his skates this year have not been perfect loved his Rostelecom skate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFon3qNt3Fs. Don't know about a male partner lol but he would have made a great ice dancer iam sure.
I think missing 4CC is good for Patrick. I understand he didn't intend to skate at 4CC from the very beginning. Yes, I think he will make an excellent ice dancer. We need to figure out who will best be his partner. I am always amazed at how those blades twist and turn so quickly. Looks easy.:p By the way, did you watch his Ex (by Chris Dean)? I like the part where he hopped on one foot with an outstretched arm and leg. Looks light and easy. Though if I try, I think I will make a big dent/crack on the ice. :laugh:

I agree with you Kuan. IMO, there will be a close fight between Dai, Hanyu, Fernandez and Patrick for the podium in any order though I think right now, the hot favourite is Hanyu. Fortunately, I won't be able to watch the live streaming for Worlds as I will be away so I will be spared the excitement and pounding heart. :biggrin: I won't rule out the others like Kevin (since he has proved that he can do it), Mura, Amodio, Aaron and Ross. If they skate their best, they all have a shot at the podium too especially if the other four falter. I still feel disappointed that Kozuka will not be skating at Worlds. :cry:

Coriana

On the Ice
I'm still hoping for a Patrick win with the others very close in a tie for second, or a four way tie that proves unbreakable. (yeah, I know) Each one of them has shown vulnerability in one or two events this season, though Hanyu has managed to be on the podium each time. Patrick has kept there in the main events, but his meltdown in the Japan Open rivaled Dai's at FCC. Javi's worst was fourth. Patrick recently said, only slightly togue in cheek, that he was an underdog going into Worlds. Now he has company. I'll be at London, and I hope I survive the stress.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Welcome, Coriana, to the fest! And the forum. We are honoured that you chose to post here first. I hope you enjoy Worlds thoroughly. Don't stress. It's up to the skaters to bring it at the right time. However, please do send some love and white light to Patrick when he comes on, and to the ice as well. :)

I believe that Patrick troughed at GPF and is rising now, hopefully all the way to peak at Sochi. I've long been interested in cycles of all sorts and am on to figure skating cycles, at least those for the skaters. It seems there are turning points which are peaks for some and throughs for others. E.g. Patrick and Daisuke seem to be on the opposite cycles. Early 2010 was the high for Daisuke but a low for Patrick. Then Patrick peaked at/around 2011 Worlds where Dai troughed. I believed late 2012 was another turning point when Dai Peaked and Patrick troughed. I posted the possibilities early this season with prediction of directions for some skaters pre and post GPF and will keep an eye on how things will work out.

I'm with Patrick about psychologists. Just had a discussion with some friends on psychologists and psychotherapies which focus so much on the past and the causes so they go on for years, turning into an addiction instead of a solution! Staying in the moment really is the key, as well as a high, also known as Satori, a moment of mindlessness and extreme clarity, a God moment. Very dangerous sports such as skiing, cliff climbing, and racing are thrilling because of the high induced by the total focus demanded as it could be a matter of life or death/disaster. I find it quite easy to focus with interactive sports because immediate reactions are constantly required. It has got to be very difficult and challenging to have that total focus, aka being in the zone, required for peak performance in figure skating competition. Most people try to master discipline, but of actions (e.g. training) and not of the mind which is much more significant and impactful. But staying in the now/moment is a very desirable state for everyday living and I imagine such practice would be extremely beneficial to a competitive skater. The mind is a tool we use about 10% of the time, and the rest of the time it takes over to have us living in the past or the future with repetitive useless or even negative thoughts. It is best to use only the working mind and put the egoic aka monkey mind in the tool drawer the rest of the time. And Patrick, no negative thoughts at bedtime! Only your greatest dreams please!

Spiky, I'm with you about Kozuka.

Here is to Hat Trick For Patrick at London Worlds and Patrick In The Zone at Sochi Olympics!

emdee

Final Flight
I will also miss Taka. Love his lightness on the ice.

Coriana I will also be at worlds. Are you going for the whole week? We are driving down on wednesday morning in case you want a ride and staying at the Holiday Inn.

Coriana

On the Ice
I'm not to familliar with posting but I tried a private message response. If you don't get it, please let me know.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I want to start a "Hat Trick for Patrick" campaign. For those not familiar with (Canadian) hockey, a hat trick is when a player scores 3 goals in a game and fans throw their hats onto the ice. If Patrick wins his 3rd Worlds title in Canada, it would be cool for fans to throw hats instead of toys, especially since he is a big hockey fan and will also be performing hat tricks in his show program.

Will you guys please spread this to other boards?

emdee

Final Flight
Great idea SF.
I dont have a banner for him but I thought I would have a small sign saying GO PATRICK.

Shall definitely look for a hat for him... a Leaf's hat?

I think hat trick is just an english phrase ( havent checked this) as I knew the term in India where we used to watch cricket.

About a month left!
I do have a ticket for the practices (Monday and Tuesday)which I am not using in case anyone is interested.

lakeside

On the Ice
You guys don’t know that? Last time I heard Patrick had an injury during his vacation. It could be a minor injury though. I just wish he has already fully recovered.