Patrick Chan | Page 85 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

questar

Rinkside
^ LoL at this picture. Chan can dance. :)

Here are pictures of men's practice.

dolceflute.gallery.ru/watch?a=PG2-joAK

Chan's hair is short and looks a little tired.(in my view)

I heard Chan's practice was not good. The report says Chan kept falling.

It made me worried.. a little..But I decided to just enjoy this competition. And I hope so .

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
Chan's happy with his triple axel. Interview after the SP.

And by Chan’s own estimation, the one he uncorked Friday evening in the Rachmaninov short program of the Grand Prix final was his best ever.
A perfect 10: Height, amplitude, rotations, technical command and assured landing. Actually, an awesome 11.73 on the score sheet, full base marks plus nearly three points added for grade of execution.
“That was a highlight,’’ the 21-year-old from Toronto marveled, rightfully proud of himself.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Chan's happy with his triple axel. Interview after the SP.

The 3A was soooo gorgeous:clap: It got highest GOE among 6 skaters.
Extremely happy for Patrick!
Of course his 3Lz was a unwanted mistake, but his performance has been getting better and better.
I really love this SP, an ethereal beauty.
Can't wait to watching his SP on TV tonight.

Now he must be quite comfortable and confident before FP.
GO PATRICK!

figuristka

Medalist
Must have been difficult for Patrick to hear the marks of Javi and Yuzuru, marks only he could achieve before. Looked abit nervous but fairly good Free minus the mistake which caused the combination at the end not to count at all. I adore his program the most of all the men, just the best choreography for me. He can really move you with his program when he skates relaxed. I don't think he is really technically weaker than previous years but skaters like Yuzuru , Javi, and Dai have improved. Think this should inspire him to focus more on the jumps. His 3 axel is improved, even Kurt commented on this. Also his is usually successful with the 4 toe but gosh i could love him to also have a 3 salchow.

STARushka

Rinkside
From those who were in Sochi ( we have palm trees there :biggrin:and actually it has always been our most popular seaside south holiday destination - now Sochi is coonected with constant construction and winter OG) - in the practice before LP he did 4 and 4-3 combo, but this is sport.. And his mistake with an aextra combo .. Well I believe it is a good lesson and he is smart guy - he will get a right inference;)

Was glad to see his axel:thumbsup:

SGrand

Final Flight
Just about to watch the NBC broadcast, nice to hear them make the comment that he has changed the landscape in skating.

Came across this article, I really feel for athletes in this position, must be tough. But I really do hope that he gets his mind in check and gets whatever help he needs to boost his confidence and make him a little more fearless again. It's just such a different mindset he seems to have this year and his game plan is definitely not his usual either. I know there have been major upsets with him since worlds, and he has said that he knows this season will be different and one of growth......I just don't know if he was really prepared for the reality of it and how it would affect him. Just my thoughts......

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/20121209/634949398.html

STARushka

Rinkside
Yeah, that was why Plu lost to Sandhu..

Ok, I think it is no good for him to loose a confidence, I guess Patrick should be #1 in his thoughts - to get the right feeling on the ice - just my thoughts... But still I believe - he will find the way and this failure is somehow what he needed..

wallylutz

Medalist
Yeah, that was why Plu lost to Sandhu..

Ok, I think it is no good for him to loose a confidence, I guess Patrick should be #1 in his thoughts - to get the right feeling on the ice - just my thoughts... But still I believe - he will find the way and this failure is somehow what he needed..

I am confident he will bounce back again as he has done before. There is not skating Champion out there who can claim he/she/they have never had a bad competition, Kwan, Plushenko, Stojko, Yamaguchi, Browning, you name it.... And from what I have seen in Sochi, I am not concerned. His primary mistake was the uncharacteristic fall on his opening 4T combo, which rattled him a bit. Otherwise, it was a solid skate as he landed everything else in his program. The penalty for not doing a 3T, got the 2A voided, fall on the 4T, got a Sequence penalty on the clean 4T, losing level on the Step Sequence...they add up to a fairly substantial amount. The irony is had he landed the opening 4T, 4 of the 5 above mentioned penalties would not have happened - he would not have omitted the 3T (worth 4 pts), would get positive GOE on that element (+2- (-3), worth another 5 points), 2A* with GOE worth another 5 points, no +SEQ penalty, worth 2 points. Adding it up, his TES would have risen by 16 points to around 95.

So the sad truth is the opening error cost him around 16 points in TES. But this is not concerning because I am sure he and his team will learn from this and his 4T remains very consistent. I am glad it happened at a GPF, not the actual Olympic Games.

emdee

Final Flight
Welcome Wallylutz,

Do we now have two members of our Aussie Bureau?

Have enjoyed your posts on the various threads.

Its a constant battle for us Chan fans as we have to have thickskins or get skinned alive on some of the threads. And the way they were writing about that poor girl Kaetlyn who is just a kid made me quite sick. I will leave vomiting to Lets talk who can churn it up at a moment's notice....

SGrand

Final Flight
I posted this in the GPF Men's LP thread. Sorry in advance if you've already read it. :)

I actually don't think he means to insult Oda, it seems as though he was making a light joke about it because it's so well known that Oda used to have a problem with that, probably just kind of slipped out a la Chan style (he makes quite a few jokes that don't always go over so well). I've read about it here so much (re: Oda Zayaking) and I haven't been around for all that long, but it's obviously extremely well known throughout the FS world.
And I would also think that these guys have known each other and hung out and some have bonded for years now, it wouldn't surprise me if Oda maybe gets a little teased about it from time to time (or maybe even makes comments about it himself). Wouldn't surprise me if Chan was teased by fellow skaters about flying into the boards at last years GPF or his weird 'waxel' in Nice. Not everyone's nice as pie to everyone and not every comment that 'reads' as mean, really is.

Now, I do cringe from time to time regarding what he says, he doesn't have the most PC filter and he's too honest for his own good (FWITW, I don't like that he brought Oda up, keep that away from the press for obvious reasons). He definitely knows what is said about him and some of his more controversial wins, he doesn't live in a hole and he's not stupid; he was booed in France and maybe it wasn't totally personal, but I'm sure he 'get's it', hence the comment about people being happy about his more recent scores.

To me, he seems to try and project confidence, but I'm not always totally convinced that he 100% believes in himself and this season has been trying for him due to the fact that everyone's catching up to him now. I don't think he quite knows how to deal with it yet. There's no buffer left anymore and he knows it.
He's not like Plu, who exudes confidence and knows how to play the game. Some hate him for that, some love him for it, but he gets reaction. I respect Plu for his attitude, he knows how to use it and play it to his advantage and I can't fault him for it (although he's made me cringe before as well, but come on, let's look at how most sports really are, they are full of trash talking and just because someone's wearing sequins or lace, doesn't mean they're super sweet and happy to take a loss, this is sport after all). I was involved in competitive dance for almost 20 years and it's full of crazy catty people who will cut you if they get the chance lol, and those were the parents and teachers as well as kids and teens.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and Chan is the biggest jerk ever, but I dunno, it just seems like there are a lot of people who like to blow things out of proportion. I too wish he could deal with the criticism like Plu and not care, but I think he does and that's when doubt creeps in and the nerves go crazy and he tries to joke about himself and it's just taken the wrong way.

figuristka

Medalist
Another article http://www.championat.com/other/article-146123-patrik-chan---ob-olimpijskom-parke-v-sochi.html

"Well, of course, there is disappointment! Of course, I was disappointed with third place. Pity it was not able to show the best results. And I know that I can ride better. Because the program I have a very good, prevented a stupid mistake - do not get a quad. Such errors should not be allowed, because I successfully doing quads in training. But when you start an official competition for totally unknown reasons, is complicated! I'm starting to think too much about it, just get hung up on any errors. What if Daisuke can handle it, and I'm not? And these thoughts fail me. It is necessary that your body performs all the items safely and naturally. But the head that sometimes interfere. I learned a lot and now I will work hard to continue to avoid similar mistakes" - just translation made by google.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
WARNING: This post is a mini rant. Here goes:

Okay, so from reading the GPF Mens FS thread, I thought Patrick totally bombed his FS. So, when I finally got to watch it, I was pleasantly surprised that he landed and rotated all of his jumps besides the first quad. His only mistakes were falling on the first quad, not doing a quad combo, and doing that silly double toe after the double axel. Jumps-wise, I think it was his best effort so far this season. Nobody skated lights out in the GPF FS, although Javier came the closest. I feel like Patrick is held to some kind of unspoken higher standard compared to the other skaters male skaters and people are VERY quick to criticize him. When Dai or Hanyu make mistakes, people say that they "had a rough night, but are improving," "they're still great skaters," etc. But, when Patrick makes mistakes, they say, "he needs a jump coach," "his career is in decline," "the judges are phasing him out," etc. What gives? Is Patrick not allowed to make mistakes like other skaters are? Just because he doesn't skate lights out doesn't mean he's a terrible skater (the same goes for Hanyu and Dai). I've almost decided to not read the competition threads anymore because that's where a lot of the negativity is, about all skaters. Why are some people so mean to Patrick and less so to others when they make mistakes? I'm not saying that everybody has to enjoy Patrick's skating like we do, but I do think people should stop being so hypercritical of everything he says and does. Regarding his media comments, I think he's one of the most refreshingly honest skaters out there today. He says what's on his mind. I have never taken that as him being egotistical. He just tends to be more blunt than other skaters. In fact, I personally think he's one of the more humble skaters who has a lot of perspective about what skating ultimately means to him. Could some of the misunderstandings be because he's trilingual? Sometimes during interviews, it sounds like he has to work really hard to figure out how to say what he wants to say. Sometimes multilingual people find themselves wanting to mix languages. I could be totally wrong, but it's just something I thought about.

I'm just super frustrated that Patrick does not have more respect among fans for the mind-blowing things he does on the ice. Respecting a skater's talent doesn't mean you have to love their skating. Is it that hard to be nice?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Okay, so from reading the GPF Mens FS thread, I thought Patrick totally bombed his FS. So, when I finally got to watch it, I was pleasantly surprised that he landed and rotated all of his jumps besides the first quad. His only mistakes were falling on the first quad, not doing a quad combo, and doing that silly double toe after the double axel. Jumps-wise, I think it was his best effort so far this season. Nobody skated lights out in the GPF FS, although Javier came the closest.
I am making a rare appearance on the Patrick Chan thread not because I have suddenly become a major fan (though I do approve of his SP) but because this struck me as a strange comment. Javi became just the fifth skater to do three quads in a program (all of them with +GOE) and the first to accomplish this since 2006. I believe he is also the first to do two 4Ss in a program - the second one in the second half! He got a massive TES and I am pretty sure that is the highest BV I have ever seen, the best score ever by a European skater in an LP, and one of the highest ever, period. How is that not skating lights out? And I'm not even a huge fan of his!

This has nothing to do with your points about Chan. I have no opinion on that, other than to say that I don't think anyone should get top marks for a performance with multiple errors, regardless of who that skater is, from what country and in what discipline. I do think a fair number of people who commented on Chan's coaching situation did so based on genuine concern for his ability to remain competitive technically without a skating coach.

lakeside

On the Ice
Okay, so from reading the GPF Mens FS thread, I thought Patrick totally bombed his FS. So, when I finally got to watch it, I was pleasantly surprised that he landed and rotated all of his jumps besides the first quad. His only mistakes were falling on the first quad, not doing a quad combo, and doing that silly double toe after the double axel. Jumps-wise, I think it was his best effort so far this season. Nobody skated lights out in the GPF FS, although Javier came the closest…… Why are some people so mean to Patrick and less so to others when they make mistakes? I'm not saying that everybody has to enjoy Patrick's skating like we do, but I do think people should stop being so hypercritical of everything he says and does.
I agree that Patrick’s LP wasn’t that bad jump-wise. It was better than Takahashi’s for example. Patrick zayaked but he still landed and FULLY ROTATED his jumps! I’m not worried about Patrick because he won’t zayak next time. Like I said in the men’s LP thread, he’s capable of scoring 100 in TES and 95 in PCS when he skates super cleanly. I wish that will happen at the Olympics. :agree:

However, I disagree somewhat about Fernandez. Yes Fernandez landed most of his jumps, but the quality is also important IMO. The problem with Fernandez is that the quality of his jumps, except his nice 4S, is just so-so. Usually he does not get any GOEs higher than +1 except on his 4S. I like Patrick because when he’s on, the quality of his jumps is top-notch that no one else could match (except jump prodigies Plushenko and Yuzru). Plus, spins, skating skills and transitions are important too. Most skaters including Fernandez don’t have them either.

What I’m more worried is whether or not the scoring will be fair at Worlds and Olympics. Like I said in the men’s LP thread, we’ve seen some skaters who routinely under-rotate some of their jumps but are not called and they get gifted in GOEs. Plus, some skaters had no steps preceding 4t or break between the steps and 4t in the SP but did not get -3 or -1 GOE. This is unfair to other skaters like Patrick who are challenging themselves technically, as we know it’s harder to fully rotate the jumps and having steps before the jumps makes it more difficult to land your jumps. If the current scoring trend continues, then Patrick will be at a disadvantage because skaters who violate the rule are not punished and skaters like Patrick who execute elements well are not rewarded. :disapp:

skatinginbc

Medalist
WARNING: This post is a mini rant....I think he's one of the most refreshingly honest skaters out there today. He says what's on his mind....I'm just super frustrated that Patrick does not have more respect among fans for the mind-blowing things he does on the ice. Respecting a skater's talent doesn't mean you have to love their skating. Is it that hard to be nice?
WARNING: This post is a "refreshingly honest" response. Viewer discretion is advised. :biggrin:
Yes, it is hard to be nice to someone you don't like. "I pulled a Nobunari" is a big no-no. As a fan of Chan's skating but not of his mouth, I find it difficult to balance my attitude toward him. To me, Chan's performances (SP + LP) were better than Fernandez's, but there is a secret voice back in my head hoping Fernandez had won the bronze.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't see how saying "pulling a Nobunari" is a big no-no except to those who already see most of what Patrick ever says as big no-no. Repeating a jump without combo is always referred to as "Zayaking" without anybody blinking an eye or thinking it's a great insult. Oda's frequent invalidation of his rule violating jumps is well known for years now and constantly referred to by fans, including his supporters like myself. I think Oda would take it as friendly teasing by one of his peers instead of disrespect. He must have heard "Pulling a Nobunari" a few times before by his friends and rivals.