Patrick Chan | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am hoping to see the best Aranjuez from Patrick now that the pressure of defending his Worlds titles is off, and the sadness of parting with his coach has hopefully lessened.

This has been a really tough season for Patrick, with something stressful at every event except the Nationals - nervous SC debut of the extremely difficult and under-trained new program, being sick at TEB, dealing with the media and public commotion at GPF, home ice pressure at 4CC, and then the distress of parting with his main coach before Worlds. While I wish the best for Patrick, I still have an unmet selfish wish of seeing the perfect Aranjuez much like his Nationals POTO last year. My hope is high that he will bring it at WTT, with no coaches but a lot of comradery in a more relaxed atmosphere.

Go Patrick!

Boeing787

On the Ice
I am hoping to see the best Aranjuez from Patrick now that the pressure of defending his Worlds titles is off, and the sadness of parting with his coach has hopefully lessened.

This has been a really tough season for Patrick, with something stressful at every event except the Nationals - nervous SC debut of the extremely difficult and under-trained new program, being sick at TEB, dealing with the media and public commotion at GPF, home ice pressure at 4CC, and then the distress of parting with his main coach before Worlds. While I wish the best for Patrick, I still have an unmet selfish wish of seeing the perfect Aranjuez much like his Nationals POTO last year. My hope is high that he will bring it at WTT, with no coaches but a lot of comradery in a more relaxed atmosphere.

Go Patrick!

I am wishing the very same thing!

Yeah, he looks a bit Spanish.

Yes, or maybe New-World Spanish, with some Indian heritage.

I love faces; my favorite painters are portraitists, and I collect dolls. So I'm always fascinated with how much diversity nature manages to pack into the basic structure that we all have. And how much unexpectedness! I once knew a young Puerto Rican woman that you would have sworn came from India, and a Guatemalan man who looked more Filipino than anything else. In fact, when he visited the Philippines, people addressed him in Tagalog. The way our features combine and recombine through the generations can result in some wonderful resemblances. It's a great reminder that we're all more closely related than we generally think.

SGrand

Final Flight
Regarding Patrick's split with Krall, it seems rather sudden and shocking, but it happens and it kind of seems like he's on a path, one that included focusing on and mastering basic technique and skating skills, then onto conquering jumps and now it looks like he might be diving head first into upping his artistry. I look forward to this and I don't think he's afraid, he always seems up for a challenge and I think the response he's received from his gala performance has only lit a fire under him. It's sad about the split, but if the situation dictates that there must be a change, then so be it.

What I would like to see happen next year, since it will be a year of transition and (maybe) new things, I'd actually like to see him lose, at least once. Sounds crazy, and I'm not talking about losing all year, but I don't think he needs another undefeated season, and growth can only come with defeat and the lessons it can provide. Don't get me wrong, winning provides lessons too and it certainly builds confidence, but I'd like to see him lose if just to lessen the pressure that comes with what he's probably been dealing with lately; it's lonely at the top, right? I'm sure the naysayers will chime in here about his "17-fall cushion" lol, but you never know, and this world's was pretty close, regardless of the PSC controversy. I'd love him to continue to win worlds and go on to the OGM, but this next year will (again, maybe) be a year of trying out new types of programs and jumps etc.

All in all, I'm interested to see what happens and I wish both him and Krall all the best!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Patrick, if you or your people read this forum, please go and find a technical coach for you. Remember it is always technics first and artistics second.

Not necessarily. COP allows artists to defeat technically superior skater. Patrick didn't skate worse than normal; Dai just really stepped up and had the home advantage here. I don't think Dai would have won the short if this competition took place outside Japan.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Not necessarily. COP allows artists to defeat technically superior skater. Patrick didn't skate worse than normal; Dai just really stepped up and had the home advantage here. I don't think Dai would have won the short if this competition took place outside Japan.

I've never said throw away artistic efforts.

Patrick was not one of those you were talking about who have only technical superiority but imbalancely have little artistic abilities.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Part of growing process

Patrick, if you or your people read this forum, please go and find a technical coach for you. Remember it is always technics first and artistics second.

I was the one who said Patrick could make do without a coach. Now I offcially change my mind. He does need a technical coach. Yes, COP does allow artists to defeat technically superior skaters, butt(pun intended ;)), we want Patrick to have the leading TES as well to be on the safe side. Plus, he has the jumping ability, why not show it off and silence the haters?:p

Last edited:

yoyoyi

Spectator
I agree,a technical coach as the primary coach is essential for any skater.Though most of patrick's technical elements could be perfect,a technical coach can always identify one's error in practice.But, the fact is, few coach are willing to take on Patrick for the pressure of his NO.1 status.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
This is sudden and sad.

I've been watching Patrick at the WTT on TV for 3 days and worrying about his visible lack of high spirits.
I was thinking it must have come from his former coach's resignation.
But I read his Facebook and realized how he was shocked and felt sad for Mr. Starkman's death (I remember his article in which he supported Patrick when he was severely criticized for his comments about China and diminishing popularity in figure skating in Canada).

I'm sure he'll perform his beautiful "Elegie" from the bottom of his heart tonight.
Hopefully a lot of Japanese figure skating fans will appreciate it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick finally found time and settled himself to write about Randy Starkman, a writer and a friend:

I was absolutely shocked and really sad.

Randy, as a writer, your journalism always carried with it an inspiring charisma and excitement for the amateur athletic scene. You were truly the best at bringing our stories to life.

As a friend, your personality and sense of humour made you extraordinarily likeable. You always had my back and were always someone I could talk to when I had something to get off my mind.

You will be missed dearly by the sports community. You will be missed dearly by those who knew you. Thank you, Randy, for being a genuine writer and friend.

Sometimes we don't realize a skater, an athlete, and other public persons whom we discuss and comment on frequently, has relationships not in our awareness, and feelings about others we have feelings about too. It didn't occur to me that Patrick lost a friend. (((((((((Patrick))))))))). I think he could use a hug or two and I offered one to Alissa but not to him.

I remember he was quite affected by Sarah Burke's accident and subsequent death.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Looks like Patrick will add another quad next season:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.e12e3cc2502c6eda2f974e27df549661.1b1
My question is: should he add it to the SP or LP? Three quads in LP will be too hard to execute cleanly, and transitions will be affected as well. Adding it to the SP will be better. Any ideas?

I don't know if he'll add another quad. The article wasn't clear on this. Maybe it's just changing one of his 4T into 4S in LP, which should be enough if he skates them clean.

If he would indeed add 4S and don't take off any of the quads currently in his programs, I'd think adding it into LP will be better. Two quad SP will be too risky especially Patrick is not only focusing on quad jumps but also doing the hardest transitions and aiming the best artistic expressions.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He only said he was thinking of a new quad as well as better transition in the program including a smoother entry into his quad. He is really into the nitty gritty refinement of his skating.

I think next season is perfect for the debut of a new quad, be it 4S or 4F. Where he puts it should depend on the consistency and his confidence. Who knows, he may even include it in both programs by the end of the season! If the new season will be quite normal, unlike the last two, he may make amazing progress. However, calm and steady is a good way to go into the Sochi Olympics. I feel Patrick is self motivated and not very reactionary. He goes for what he wants and he gets it. I still hope he will continue working with Lori to guide his evolving choreography over the season like 2010-11.

Boeing787

On the Ice
I don't know if he'll add another quad. The article wasn't clear on this. Maybe it's just changing one of his 4T into 4S in LP, which should be enough if he skates them clean.

If he would indeed add 4S and don't take off any of the quads currently in his programs, I'd think adding it into LP will be better. Two quad SP will be too risky especially Patrick is not only focusing on quad jumps but also doing the hardest transitions and aiming the best artistic expressions.

It doesn't make sense to replace one 4T with a 4S in the long program. The value of 4S is only 0.2 point higher than that of a 4T. And Patrick's 4T should be more stable that his 4S.

The disadvantage of adding 4S to SP could be: none of the three jumps is easy now. NOw if he fails to add a 3T to the 4T, he can always add it to the 3Lz. If the 4S is included, there is a good chance he won't be able to add the 3T to either 4S or 4T (rules forbid adding it to 3A, I think). He will lose about three points in TES as a result, plus the PCS loss inccured.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Good point, Boeing. Doing any quad in the SP is always a big risk and not a place to start, unless his 4T/3T is completely reliable and containable within the rink. :biggrin: Very few skaters include any quad in the SP and Kevin is the only one doing multiple quads there. He is not always successful but he's at a different place from Patrick, going for broke for records rather than a medal.

The possibility is always there that Patrick may amaze us beyond expectation so I will just sit back to see what he serves up next. A top notch COP savvy choreographer is important to help him integrate his new quads, especially if he will add more later in the season.

I like how he sounds in recent interviews, very positive despite all the turmoils and negativity.

You go Patrick.