Patrick Chan | Page 76 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

lakeside

On the Ice
I’m praying for Patrick. If he nails all his jumps and spins then SkateFiguring’s prediction could become reality and he could set a new world record in SP. :yes: But on the other hand I don’t want him to peak too soon. He’s usually not an early season skater. If he has to make some mistakes, then better make them at SC than at GPF and Worlds.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I expect the SP WR to be broken more than once this season because of the new scoring.

I think Patrick will peak at Worlds instead of Canadian Nationals this year. He will introduce a new quad at the Nationals and may not be clean or almost perfect then.

SGrand

Final Flight
I expect the SP WR to be broken more than once this season because of the new scoring.

I think Patrick will peak at Worlds instead of Canadian Nationals this year. He will introduce a new quad at the Nationals and may not be clean or almost perfect then.

I expect much of the same, and I don't mean to take anything away from Hanyu at all, he had an amazing performance at SA, it's just with the new scoring, if programs are choreographed to maximize the advantage AND the skater can execute it, we may see more WR's. All depends on the judging too I would think, since they're all different.

As for Patrick, I don't think this year is going to be easy for him, from a 'winning every competition' standpoint anyway, but I'm hoping it just lessens the pressure and let's him fall in love with his programs and get motivated and relaxed and happy. Glad he got his wake-up-call, just hope he gets a permanent tech coach. ;-)

SGrand

Final Flight
Now Eddie Shipstad is Patrick’s tech coach?

I guess so, I think he's always been around for him? Regardless, I still would love him to have an actual coach in his corner. But c'est la vie, he has chosen his path and seems as comfortable as he can be with it. It's more of a 'turning point' year for him I feel, so many new things, glad he's doing it this year to work the 'bugs' out before the Oly year.

Oh I wish I didn't have to work this saturday, I would have loved to get to Windsor to see him and the boys at SC! Guess I'll just have to try for Nat's or Worlds. Can't wait to see how he does this weekend!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
First of the tweets below (from yesterday) sounds as if Chan has a new SP costume since Japan?
Sorry if I am mistaken -- I haven't looked at video or stills from Japan so don't know what he wore there.

TU LY ‏@TU_LY
Here's a glimpse of Patrick Chan @PChiddy NEW costume design for Short Program - Rachmaninoff Elégie. #FSU http://instagr.am/p/RLlWWrQadQ/
2:58 PM - 24 Oct 12​

TU LY ‏@TU_LY
Patrick Chan as Rodolfo, La Bohème. My costume design for @PChiddy Long Program. Choreography David Wilson http://instagr.am/p/RLtOKkQaTv/
4:09 PM - 24 Oct 12​

spikydurian

Medalist
First of the tweets below (from yesterday) sounds as if Chan has a new SP costume since Japan?
Sorry if I am mistaken -- I haven't looked at video or stills from Japan so don't know what he wore there.

TU LY ‏@TU_LY
Here's a glimpse of Patrick Chan @PChiddy NEW costume design for Short Program - Rachmaninoff Elégie. #FSU http://instagr.am/p/RLlWWrQadQ/
2:58 PM - 24 Oct 12​
Thanks golden411. Can't really see the Elegie costume. Tu Ly is a tease!;)

emdee

Final Flight
Patrick is slowly getting his program together. Hope COR is a step up as he needs to get to Sochi and get the feel of the rink.

I read that Mrs Chan said to someone that he is thinking of keeping his short for the OLys. I know he loves the music etc but I hope he adds some more complexity to is. There are some unpatrick like moments.

SGrand

Final Flight
Well, after this weekend @ SC, I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are? I'm loving his actual performances and you can tell he's upping his artistry, but his jumps seem to be alluding him when it counts. It must be mental since he's apparently been looking good in practice jump-wise (doesn't he usually perform better when he's had more of an 'off' practice?). To me it seems like he's second-guessing his decision regarding Kathy, even though he keeps stating the opposite over and over. I'm by no means an expert, but he does seem frustrated and disappointed with his skates (although better than at the JO). Just going by facial expressions, his eyes during his first interview and a bit of body language. I don't think he ever means to be flippant about his new 'situation' and I realize he has to have some knocks in order to grow, but it does worry me. I think he believes in what he's doing, but maybe afraid of how it's beginning to look???

spikydurian

Medalist
^^ I have no answer too, SGrand. We are all guessing. I haven't watch the interview. No, don't think he meant to be flippant.. maybe he's fed up with the constant queries about his coaching change, and in reality, sometimes it's not easy to explain everything when things don't go as smoothly. We will probably have to wait till after this season to find out his plan. Meanwhile, we can keep guessing.:laugh:

naan

Rinkside
I love his new LP. Music, costume, choreography... Everything looks so great to me :)
As for the SP, I liked it as EX program, but not so much as competitive program. If he wants to keep the SP for the Olympics, he needs to add some elements and rework the step sequence.

Here is Patrick's interview on Absolute Skating.
http://www.absoluteskating.com/index...012patrickchan

Some people say that you are sometimes over-scored. How would you comment on that?

I can't really give you a good answer on that. I just go out and skate. My job isn't to judge or argue about my points, my job is to go out and produce something beautiful, something that the judges can understand, to make them feel something. It's too quick to judge, point fingers and say I'm maybe over-marked. You have to look at the details. If you really understand skating, you can look at the way certain skaters skate and can compare. Instead of making a judgment, study the little details over and over. For me it's just a joy to skate, and draw the judges and the audience [into the performance]. It's just a really cool position to have that power.

SGrand

Final Flight
I think he's very much into proving that he is worthy of his artistry marks. It's funny, because most of the time he can't really score much higher in PCS, but I'm sure he's not immune to the fact that people do believe he's over-scored for certain flawed programs and THAT is why he's taking a different route. Hell, it's kind of cool to see people who are not fans actually appreciate what he does now because they have seen the growth in his artistic ability. I know I've noticed. He's always had great lines and arms, love his positions, but he has changed and grown for sure. It's just his jumps that he's put a little more on the back burner now (whether he admits it or not). I enjoy where he's going, but am hopeful that he is aware of just what he needs and has some valid people giving him council in this area. He's an adult now, but still, he's only 21 and needs guidance, he can't do this alone.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am very sure Patrick's jump techniques are intact and it's a mental issue that hinders him at competitions. He is going with his instincts and knowing as to what is right for himself to advance his skating, which I wrote about and has been verified by Patrick himself. However, all the criticism, 90% of the views according to him, does get to him and casts doubts and causes loss of confidence. Since the great majority of the opinions are about his need of a technical coach, particularly for the jumps, they are exactly what he cannot fully attack as necessary.

Patrick needs 100% confidence. If he goes by his instincts, he needs to trust them 100%, not 90% or 99%. Most of the things people do are actually permission slips to feel confident and entitled, be it hard work, discipline, diet regiment, whatever. If Patrick needs a technical coach to feel 100% confident, that's what he should get. But if he believes he is the doing right thing, then he is doing the right thing if he believes in it 100%.

So, Patrick, stop defending your decision and Kathy and trust 100% in your instincts and decisions. You and almost everybody know how right you are in the artistry development so have the same faith in your decisions, training, and the techniques of your jumps. Commit yourself fully.

Later along the path you can always choose again and make new decisions.

I am looking forward to seeing the programs get more and more amazing.

SGrand

Final Flight
I am very sure Patrick's jump techniques are intact and it's a mental issue that hinders him at competitions. He is going with his instincts and knowing as to what is right for himself to advance his skating, which I wrote about and has been verified by Patrick himself. However, all the criticism, 90% of the views according to him, does get to him and casts doubts and causes loss of confidence. Since the great majority of the opinions are about his need of a technical coach, particularly for the jumps, they are exactly what he cannot fully attack as necessary.

Patrick needs 100% confidence. If he goes by his instincts, he needs to trust them 100%, not 90% or 99%. Most of the things people do are actually permission slips to feel confident and entitled, be it hard work, discipline, diet regiment, whatever. If Patrick needs a technical coach to feel 100% confident, that's what he should get. But if he believes he is the doing right thing, then he is doing the right thing if he believes in it 100%.

So, Patrick, stop defending your decision and Kathy and trust 100% in your instincts and decisions. You and almost everybody know how right you are in the artistry development so have the same faith in your decisions, training, and the techniques of your jumps. Commit yourself fully.

Later along the path you can always choose again and make new decisions.

I am looking forward to seeing the programs get more and more amazing.

Exactly!!!!! I just want HIM to believe 100% and whatever it takes to build that up, I hope he does it. :)

skatinginbc

Medalist
This is my two cents: The last three elements (FSSp4, StSq4 and CCoSp3) of Chan's SP, to me, do not go with music very well. The melody where he performs FSSp4 has clear downbeats of equal interval, an ideal place for spins with multiple changes of position (i.e., CCoSp) so that every downbeat goes perfectly with every change of position. In contrast, the melody where he performs CCoSp3 basically includes two parts: One with increasing tempo and intensity, the other with a gradual decrease in volume to eventually silence. It seems to me an ideal location for FSSp, which involves two positions and thus matches two contrasts demanded by the music. Will he consider swapping the order of the two spins?
The straight line sequence is harder to fix. I think he can leave it as is for now.

Last edited: