Patrick Chan | Page 89 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

emdee

Final Flight
Go Patrick ... justa week or so more for you to become Canadian Champion again... All the best and keep smiling.

spikydurian

Medalist
Flying off in nine hours for a holiday. Before I do so, here's wishing Patrick and great skate at Canada Nationals. Will be still sending positive vibes to Patrick whilst I enjoy myself. :yay:
Love this pix of the boys (Patrick, Blade, Xavier, Oda and Amodio) at Skate Canada 2013. Competitors yet friends. What a great example to fans.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
“The food was abominable. It was greasy with tons of carbs. It was totally not what we wanted,” he said. “It kind of made me upset because you expect us to do something so precise and take a lot of concentration (as skating) and you basically give us cow food

“Your body adapts to that (food) and I'm sure their body has adapted to that with all the cigarettes they smoke, too,” he quipped.

We were staying in a sanatorium, built during the Communist era. It's a huge compound with six different buildings of hotel rooms with the high-class rooms and the lower-class rooms,” he said. “We definitely got the lower-class rooms. Some people got beautiful hotel rooms and we had some shady rooms. It was like showing up at The Shining – the flicker of the lights in the hallways.

LOL! Goodness, are we sure these are actual quotes? Not sure what the Russians would think about the remarks, but that's a hilarious article. I'm glad to hear he enjoyed himself in Hawaii, hopefully he's all refreshed for the second half of the season :)

lakeside

On the Ice
In Russia last month, Patrick Chan discovered a new obstacle to Olympic gold, a threat even greater than foes like Daisuke Takahashi, Yuzuru Hanyu and Evgeni Plushenko: An upset stomach.
“The food was abominable. It was greasy with tons of carbs. It was totally not what we wanted,” he said. “It kind of made me upset because you expect us to do something so precise and take a lot of concentration (as skating) and you basically give us cow food
We were staying in a sanatorium, built during the Communist era. It's a huge compound with six different buildings of hotel rooms with the high-class rooms and the lower-class rooms,” he said. “We definitely got the lower-class rooms. Some people got beautiful hotel rooms and we had some shady rooms. It was like showing up at The Shining – the flicker of the lights in the hallways.
Oh, poor Patrick. :cry: I remember Yuzru also had a stomach bug during GPF? I wish they will improve food and hygiene conditions in Sochi.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It looks like all the Olympic competitors will have their staff packing MRE's or something like that for them :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Back in 2010, Chan had put together a fun little video tour of the highly enviable housing for Team Canada in Vancouver's Olympic Village.

Everything was brand-spanking-new and sparkling and spacious.
The bathrooms even had those showerheads that simulate rainfall -- just like in a fancy hotel. :cool:

A tough act to follow, but I hope that the Sochi OC will be ready with upgraded accommodations and food service for everyone by next year.

ETA: I originally had appended a general question about the Toronto Sun to this post. But have returned to delete it after deducing the answer on my own. :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj (re practice)

Chan starting SP solid 4T/3T to open! Good height on 3A great edge quality on footwork! #cbcskate

SGrand

Final Flight
You know what I'd like? For all commentators and even skaters themselves to stop talking about the 'monkey's' on their back, that is, the jump (or whatever) that almost always gives them problems. Especially when it doesn't seem all that true (or dramatic as they'd like us all to think). I'll use Patrick's triple axel as an example. Is it the most consistent in the world? Nope. Is it horrible? I don't really think so. But if everyone believes this, and that includes himself, then well, the percentage of jumps completed will go down. For the love of god, it almost turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy! Sorry for the mini-rant here, I realize it comes out of nowhere lol.

lakeside

On the Ice
You know what I'd like? For all commentators and even skaters themselves to stop talking about the 'monkey's' on their back, that is, the jump (or whatever) that almost always gives them problems. Especially when it doesn't seem all that true (or dramatic as they'd like us all to think). I'll use Patrick's triple axel as an example. Is it the most consistent in the world? Nope. Is it horrible? I don't really think so. But if everyone believes this, and that includes himself, then well, the percentage of jumps completed will go down. For the love of god, it almost turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy! Sorry for the mini-rant here, I realize it comes out of nowhere lol.
ITA. For those who are worried about Patrick’s 3A, just look at his nice 3A in the SP (+2.17 GOE)! He had one bad LP (and it’s not that bad either) and then some people talk as if he can’t do 3A’s at all. Well, how many skaters have landed all the 3A’s they attempted this season? Patrick doesn’t have the best 3A in the world, but it’s definitely not horrible!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I posted a mini-rant of my own on this thread after the GPF, so don't worry SGrand :) In addition to what you mentioned, I am sick of people saying Patrick is "in trouble" every time he doesn't skate perfectly. Sure, he hasn't skated to quite the same level this season, but I think he is still having a pretty good season. I guess it's just hard to know what to say when someone who has skated so dominantly for so long starts being vulnerable. Apparently I have a lot more faith in Patrick than other people, because some GS posters (outside this thread) have acted like this season is Patrick's doomsday. I'll definitely be holding my breath every time Patrick skates, but aside from that, I've decided not to "worry" about Patrick. Competition results are what they are and there's nothing we can do to change them afterward. Neither can we force Patrick to do what we might want him to do, so let's just sit back and enjoy him while we can :)

SGrand

Final Flight
I think so much of what's going on with Patrick is up in his head. He was on top for the last 2 seasons.......what, did everyone think, he would just stay there forever? That's not really how it works, is it? I'm not saying there's no cause for any alarm, but c'mon, other skaters have upped their skills to try and get to his level and from a jump perspective, that's not the hardest thing now and they're doing it and doing it well and it's working for them. I'm hoping he's had his season to experiment and see what it's like, I think he really needed that; how utterly boring to never experience something challenging and new just because the old way seems to be working; obviously he wasn't totally happy and made changes to try out. My thought though is that he's been bugged about this decision so much and questioned about it, he may not fully believe in it anymore, whether it ends up working or not. That can really sap your confidence when doubt creeps in.
As much as we just want him to keep winning and we worry, I have to say that I really admire him for doing this.
And he needed to see that he could get his butt wupped (although I still laugh thinking that having a horrific season apparently means being on the podium each time lol). When you're at the top, something mental can happen, it can take the fun out of competing, it can make it kind of boring.......you have to be so insanely motivated to keep bettering yourself and improving when you are always winning. Seriously, it takes a certain personality to do that and from how he's talked in the past, he loses focus and drive and he plays quite a few other sports to keep him busy and interested.
Regardless of what happens at world's, I'm hoping he'll feel refreshed and HUNGRY! It's fun to be the one chasing sometimes, maybe he just needs to not have so much pressure coming at him. I love that in one of his interviews he passed the torch of pressure over to Hanyu, it was cute, and very correct (and also smart on his behalf).
All the best to him and all of the skaters, can't wait for worlds!
Oh and I agree, let's jut enjoy his skating while we can and let him decide what he'd like to do. :)

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I think so much of what's going on with Patrick is up in his head. He was on top for the last 2 seasons.......what, did everyone think, he would just stay there forever? That's not really how it works, is it? I'm not saying there's no cause for any alarm, but c'mon, other skaters have upped their skills to try and get to his level and from a jump perspective, that's not the hardest thing now and they're doing it and doing it well and it's working for them. I'm hoping he's had his season to experiment and see what it's like, I think he really needed that; how utterly boring to never experience something challenging and new just because the old way seems to be working; obviously he wasn't totally happy and made changes to try out. My thought though is that he's been bugged about this decision so much and questioned about it, he may not fully believe in it anymore, whether it ends up working or not. That can really sap your confidence when doubt creeps in.
As much as we just want him to keep winning and we worry, I have to say that I really admire him for doing this.
And he needed to see that he could get his butt wupped (although I still laugh thinking that having a horrific season apparently means being on the podium each time lol). When you're at the top, something mental can happen, it can take the fun out of competing, it can make it kind of boring.......you have to be so insanely motivated to keep bettering yourself and improving when you are always winning. Seriously, it takes a certain personality to do that and from how he's talked in the past, he loses focus and drive and he plays quite a few other sports to keep him busy and interested.
Regardless of what happens at world's, I'm hoping he'll feel refreshed and HUNGRY! It's fun to be the one chasing sometimes, maybe he just needs to not have so much pressure coming at him. I love that in one of his interviews he passed the torch of pressure over to Hanyu, it was cute, and very correct (and also smart on his behalf).
All the best to him and all of the skaters, can't wait for worlds!
Oh and I agree, let's jut enjoy his skating while we can and let him decide what he'd like to do. :)
AMEN to every word! :biggrin:

fwsf

Rinkside
I was doing security duty at Canadian National and Patrick was warming up right in front of me. He looked really serious and not very relaxed, it could just be his usual game face. His coach chatted with me briefly about skating schedule to fit TV programming schedule (all last flights on prime time, Canadians are following the lead of the Americans) and she is really friendly.

I watched Patrick practice, Kathy Johnson gave Patrick feedback on every sequence of moves (usually once around the rink or after a fall). A lot more than the other coaches at the rink. I am sure she helps Patrick in some ways.

However, I also think a coach is like the parents/adults who are to protect and defend the child/student. Here is the point, Patrick has to defend his coach, do 2 new programs (previously only one new program a year) and adapt to 2 new choreographers. Patrick may have taken on too much responsibility and challenges. And feeling the burden this season. May be a more experienced coach will not let him take on so much.

Patrick usually had close to perfect performance at Canadian National but not this year. I hope he just needs more time and peak at World this year. I’ll not be disappointed though if Takahashi wins World.

SGrand

Final Flight
I was doing security duty at Canadian National and Patrick was warming up right in front of me. He looked really serious and not very relaxed, it could just be his usual game face. His coach chatted with me briefly about skating schedule to fit TV programming schedule (all last flights on prime time, Canadians are following the lead of the Americans) and she is really friendly.

I watched Patrick practice, Kathy Johnson gave Patrick feedback on every sequence of moves (usually once around the rink or after a fall). A lot more than the other coaches at the rink. I am sure she helps Patrick in some ways.

However, I also think a coach is like the parents/adults who are to protect and defend the child/student. Here is the point, Patrick has to defend his coach, do 2 new programs (previously only one new program a year) and adapt to 2 new choreographers. Patrick may have taken on too much responsibility and challenges. And feeling the burden this season. May be a more experienced coach will not let him take on so much.

Patrick usually had close to perfect performance at Canadian National but not this year. I hope he just needs more time and peak at World this year. I’ll not be disappointed though if Takahashi wins World.

I can totally see that, he has taken on so much after last years world's and while I'm sure he's adjusted physically, I think it's probably been rather tough on him mentally.
This Nat's was different for him; the pressure to deliver and nail that totally relaxed performance that he usually has, may been too much at this time, especially with the type of season he's been having.
Totally speculating here lol.