Patrick Chan | Page 104 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

emdee

Final Flight
I too remember the number with Lambiel and others. Looking at the Ex I first thought that Kurt had put it together as it looked so Kurt - that debonair feel to the skating I mean. But then I remembered the number from Yuna's show and I think now that it was David Wilson. I think looking at the long and the ex that David Wilson gets who he is now.

But as you say, SF, it was a question about putting the blocks in place. Just hope they fit as they are supposed to come Olys.

spikydurian

Medalist
The costume is also amazing!
I love this new top too by Tu Ly. I wouldn’t mind one myself! :) Not many like his last year’s Elegie costume so it looks like Tu Ly avoided giving him laces this year. I am not complaining.

Emdee, since you are going to the Nationals, Four Seasons will be well developed by then.

I have a very happy week. First Patrick winning Skate Canada then my favourite singer, winning X Factor Australia (never watch X Factor but watching now just to support my favourite).

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Johnny Weir commentated for NBC during the Mens FS at SC and apparently will be doing the rest of the GP as well :yay: He had positive things to say about every skater and was far less "cheerleader-ish" than Scott Hamilton. A refreshing change. Here are his compliments of Patrick:

Patrick is so respected in the skating world because "the quality of every element is designed down to the beat in the music."

"Something that’s so special about Patrick's skating is that he doesn't make it look difficult. It's very difficult to skate under this judging system, but Patrick makes it look like you could pick up a pair of skates from any store and go and do what he's doing."

Patrick has “very soft knees" and glides “in a very up-and-down sort of way.” This is how he can generate such speed just from simple steps.

Coming from Johnny, a fantastic skater and artist in his own right, this is high praise indeed. I could not agree more with what he said. :yes:

One of the many moments I love in this Vivaldi LP is when Patrick holds that edge right before hitting the ending position. You can really hear the blade dig into the ice and it’s such a sweet sound :love:

Sorry this post is so long and rambling. It’s what Patrick’s skating makes me do. :)

Last edited:

SGrand

Final Flight
Johnny Weir commentated for NBC during the Mens FS at SC and apparently will be doing the rest of the GP as well :yay: He had positive things to say about every skater and was far less "cheerleader-ish" than Scott Hamilton. A refreshing change. Here are his compliments of Patrick:

Coming from Johnny, a fantastic skater and artist in his own right, this is high praise indeed. I could not agree more with what he said. :yes:

One of the many moments I love in this Vivaldi LP is when Patrick holds that edge right before hitting the ending position. You can really hear the blade dig into the ice and it’s such a sweet sound :love:

Sorry this post is so long and rambling. It’s what Patrick’s skating makes me do. :)

I was almost scared regarding Johnny commenting on Patrick, all I could think of was "starfish hands, starfish hands" from the past. Nice to see that he's maybe become a bit of a "fan" lol.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was almost scared regarding Johnny commenting on Patrick, all I could think of was "starfish hands, starfish hands" from the past. Nice to see that he's maybe become a bit of a "fan" lol.
Yes, I do remember those comments from 2010 Worlds. I kept waiting for Johnny to comment on Patrick's hands but thankfully he did not. Johnny seems more appreciate of Patrick's skating than he was in 2010. Of course, Patrick has greatly matured as a skater since then. I'm glad Johnny noticed and acknowledged the positive aspects of his skating on the SC broadcast.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Having actual contacts with Patrick doing shows in China and Patrick not skating programs requiring starfish hands (POTO), plus the indisputable superiority of his skating skills, may have changed Johhny's attitude which tended to be personal. Mostly, I laud his new maturity and professionalism, from attire to commentaries, at his new job. Knowledgeable and educational commentaries are much needed on American TV for this sport. Go Johnny. Be the new and good.

spikydurian

Medalist
Spiky did you see the pics that I sent you?
Yes, I did. Thanks. Isn’t it wonderful to be able to take some pictures with one’s favourite skaters. They are sooooooo good looking. Did you get their (V&M and W&P) autographs?

SGrand said:
I was almost scared regarding Johnny commenting on Patrick, all I could think of was "starfish hands, starfish hands" from the past.
That crossed my mind too, SGrand. :laugh: When I heard that Johnny would be doing commentaries for NBC, I was :eek: , and was imagining him in his sometimes bizarre attire and over-dramatised comments. :biggrin:

Skatefiguring said:
Mostly, I laud his new maturity and professionalism, from attire to commentaries, at his new job. Knowledgeable and educational commentaries are much needed on American TV for this sport. Go Johnny. Be the new and good.
I am pleasantly surprised with his ‘new image’ too. I think to be a public commentator especially for sport where it reaches out to both very young and very old, one needs to keep in mind the breadth of audience. A more serious and professional demeanour will make one more acceptable and widely respected unless one is targeting a niche audience! Indeed, be new and good Johnny! ;)

lcd

Match Penalty
Johnny was very thoughtful and professional with his commentary. I would however love to see his facial expressions as he speaks, since I am certain that one could read more impishness in his expressions that would expand upon the meaning of his carefully chosen words :laugh:

lakeside

On the Ice
Yeah, I like Johnny's commentary. TBH I didn't expect him to say so many nice things about Patrick either, but he did. :thumbsup: Indeed very thoughtful and knowledgeable commentary.

lcd

Match Penalty
Yeah, I like Johnny's commentary. TBH I didn't expect him to say so many nice things about Patrick either, but he did. :thumbsup: Indeed very thoughtful and knowledgeable commentary.

Johnny is also very media savvy. This event was not the time for him to make any controversial comments which might induce 'feedback' which would harm the perception of his commentary debut in the minds of NBC producers etc.

I look forward to Johnny 'warming up' his zingers when the moment is 'right'

lakeside

On the Ice
You're probably right. Let's see what he'll say at TEB. Anyway I'm still surprised (and glad) Johnny said Patrick has best skating skills, even better than Yuzru and Takahashi whom Johnny likes so much.

spikydurian

Medalist
You're probably right. Let's see what he'll say at TEB.
Personally, I don't like and respect commentators who are equivalent to our Aussie shock jocks who tend to cater to a niche audience. Will see whether Weir will choose the path of a shock jock or serious commentator. ;)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am quite nervous for Patrick after watching Dai at NHK. Dai got a 95 for his flawless SP and had a great LP as well. Most surprisingly, Dai did very well on his quads at NHK. He looked a lot more like 2010 Dai than he has of late. If he maintains this level for the rest of the season, Patrick better watch out. If Dai skates like that at the Olympics and wins, there won't be much reason to complain about it. I had sort of counted Dai out of the OGM race after SA, but he seems to be back in it. I love both Dai and Patrick very much, but I want Patrick to win the OGM SO BADLY!!! Dai was amazing at NHK, although I still like Patrick's programs more this season.

Do skaters usually keep track of what happens at GPs they're not in? I honestly hope Patrick wasn't watching NHK. He needs to stay in his own mental space and then whatever happens happens. Here's hoping Patrick will skate Dai-like at TEB! I wonder what the judges will do if both Dai and Patrick skate clean in Sochi.
:popcorn::biggrin:

Coriana

On the Ice
I wish they allowed ties! Dai's short was fab. I think that's the second highest SP, beating Hanyu's last two, but still a few points under Patrick's record. I do hope one or bot of them will crack 100 this year, though they'll need many, many 3 GOES to do it. Neither have showed anywhere near the best long yet.
Last year, I think 26 points was the cut off for the GPF. This year 24 might make it - or at least Dia and Oda might be first and second alternates. Sorry to see Javi out of the running., and Taka. Not to mention the injured Denis and the bootless Kevin, and the - well... Brian. We're going to havesome new cast members for the GPF show.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The one, out of several, who brings it on the two days will win. The more who do the better. :)

I would not project from one or two skates from the early season though. Patrick tends to peak late in the season and Dai at NHK and the Nationals, in front of his adoring subjects. He did really well this week but also seemed to be very generously gifted by the judges and especially the tech Panel this time. I also find the discrepencies in scoring among the different GP events this season so far quite obvious, at least in Mens.

So I really don't want to predict from Patrick's one showing this season either. There were no controversies about his SC win because it was clean, just as it was for the NHK medalists so people are raving about and moved by the performances. However, Patrick needs to up his TES substantially by late season and of course in Sochi and I'm sure he intends to.

All things considered, Patrick still stands the best chance of winning dispite the fierce competition. If everyone does his best, Patrick's TES/PCS combo is unbeatable. And when he is mentally strong, he can't be beat.

So I will stay in my zone of believing that he will be in that perfectly aligned proverbial zone at the right time. :)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
The one, out of several, who brings it on the two days will win. The more who do the better. :)

I would not project from one or two skates from the early season though. Patrick tends to peak late in the season and Dai at NHK and the Nationals, in front of his adoring subjects. He did really well this week but also seemed to be very generously gifted by the judges and especially the tech Panel this time. I also find the discrepencies in scoring among the different GP events this season so far quite obvious, at least in Mens.

So I really don't want to predict from Patrick's one showing this season either. There were no controversies about his SC win because it was clean, just as it was for the NHK medalists so people are raving about and moved by the performances. However, Patrick needs to up his TES substantially by late season and of course in Sochi and I'm sure he intends to.

All things considered, Patrick still stands the best chance of winning dispite the fierce competition. If everyone does his best, Patrick's TES/PCS combo is unbeatable. And when he is mentally strong, he can't be beat.

So I will stay in my zone of believing that he will be in that perfectly aligned proverbial zone at the right time. :)
:agree: I will join you in that zone SkateFiguring! I just wanted to get my thoughts out and the safest place to do that is with my Chan fest buddies. Hugs to you all. :)