Patrick Chan | Page 100 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

emdee

Final Flight
TWO Olympic Gold Medals for Patrick Chan of Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Patrick go! We are with you all the way.

One Olympic Games at a time. :)

Where the heck have you been...
Much water has crossed under the bridge. LBS has been banned and sky talk seems to have taken her place.

I go to see Patrick at Thornhill this Sunday.

GO PATRICK

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What is Patrick SAYING about his "wants" for this season? Has he come out and said "I WANT TO BE OLYMPIC CHAMPION?"
This can be gross with some people, but he obviously has the track record and the goods.
THAT SAID, there is a question of perception, presentation and strategy. Expectations are already obviously going to be very high. Not having a home country Olympics could temper some of this but still, he is a top pick to be standing on the podium, if not obviously the TOP.

So ... anybody out there. WHAT HAS HE SAID? WHAT ISu HIS ... POSITIONING STATEMENT (that we should hold him to...?)

Welcome to the fest, Celine.

I tried to hear out the video again to answer your question but unfortunately I am watching on a tablet which often doesn't play videos well and in this case it stopped a few seconds before the end so I only heard him talked about his inspirations from Browning, Stojko, and Coach Colson. However, it's no secret that Patrick hopes to win the first OGM in Men's figure skating by a Canadian, for Canada as well as himself. I'm sure for his supporters as well. In fact, it was the anxiety about letting down his supporters that let to his disappointing under-performance at the Vancouver Olympics as well as all the falls when he was debuting his quads.

I applaude Patrick's ambition and his honest expression of it. The desire is the prerequisite motivation for the achievement*. Others such as Max Arron have also voiced their OGM goals openly while others choose to be quiet, modest, or insincere about their their goals and ambitions. In any case, if anyone has earned the "right " to aim for the OGM, it would be the current and 3 time consecutive World Champion.

I don't understand what you mean by holding him to it. Do you want proof that he does aim for the OGM? Or do you mean he owes us the OGM? I am not aware of Patrick or anyone else promising the OGM to anybody. Are all those with expressed Olympic hopes to be "held to their words"?

*I once analysed the mindset of Takahashi and postulated that he didn't win the 2012 Worlds because he had conceded before the competition and ther efore did not capitalize on the opportunity when Patrick left the door open. I was bashed for bashing Takahasi but a few months later, his coach revealed in an interview that the team had aimed for the silver medal and was pleased to have achieved that.

to

spikydurian

Medalist
Emdee said:
Where the heck have you been...
Much water has crossed under the bridge. LBS has been banned and sky talk seems to have taken her place.

Emdee, you spoke like "a mother welcoming home her prodigal son". :laugh:

Maybe ST is LBS reincarnate?:p

Yes, Emdee, we are all waiting for your report on Patrick's new LP. Soooo dead curious re. the music. I don't expect him to put everything in as it is still a work in progress, and he normally start off slow in the season.

SF, so happy to have you back ((((SF)))). Personally, I really want to enjoy this season with you all supporting Patrick all the way to Sochi particularly if this will be his last ride. I also intend to 'near-retire' from skating forums unless Patrick decides to continue competing. ;) So ... Patrick fans, let us all have a good fun ride together. :party:

emdee

Final Flight
Emdee, you spoke like "a mother welcoming home her prodigal son". :laugh:

Maybe ST is LBS reincarnate?:p

Yes, Emdee, we are all waiting for your report on Patrick's new LP. Soooo dead curious re. the music. I don't expect him to put everything in as it is still a work in progress, and he normally start off slow in the season.

SF, so happy to have you back ((((SF)))). Personally, I really want to enjoy this season with you all supporting Patrick all the way to Sochi particularly if this will be his last ride. I also intend to 'near-retire' from skating forums unless Patrick decides to continue competing. ;) So ... Patrick fans, let us all have a good fun ride together. :party:
You recognize the mother in me!
First yell at the child then clasp to the breast....

Cannot wait. Will probably go Saturday as well.

emdee

Final Flight
Spent the last hour looking at some old programs. His 2008 Canadians is an classic here the crowd clapped for all of the last minute.

spikydurian

Medalist
Spent the last hour looking at some old programs. His 2008 Canadians is an classic here the crowd clapped or all of the last minute.

Emdee, here's a couple of old vids of little and teenage Patrick. His 2008 Canadian Nationals FS where he won gold. And here's Patrick competing in Markham at age 9. I think that's the costume he said his mum sewn and made him wear for a few years (he probably did grow much during that time).:biggrin:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
HERE IT IS!!! Patrick's 2013/2014 FS! Four Seasons again, but different music cuts and different choreography. Still looks very summer-ish, but it is only August. The jumps were mostly doubled, but the opening quad combo was nice. Seems like Patrick may be trying to rekindle some of his 2008 Nationals positive vibes. We'll see if Four Seasons will be "lucky music" for him again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uKmpH3IzmE

I'll be thrilled to read emdee's thoughts after seeing it live. :biggrin:

emdee

Final Flight
The last of the last flight was PC.
All of us understood that it was early days. His opening was nice but then jumps went downhill. It didn't matter to us as we realized this was a very early run though. Muscle memory was not there.
He looked so dejected afters.
I prefer the choreo of la boheme but think this will develop. He has some nice new moves.

GO PATRICK

emdee

Final Flight
HERE IT IS!!! Patrick's 2013/2014 FS! Four Seasons again, but different music cuts and different choreography. Still looks very summer-ish, but it is only August. The jumps were mostly doubled, but the opening quad combo was nice. Seems like Patrick may be trying to rekindle some of his 2008 Nationals positive vibes. We'll see if Four Seasons will be "lucky music" for him again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uKmpH3IzmE

I'll be thrilled to read emdee's thoughts after seeing it live. :biggrin:

4 seasons wasn't lucky at worlds but its early days yet.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does Patrick even have a jump coach at this time? He needs a technical coach who can point out what he's doing wrong because that so called coach of his is nothing but a modern dance instructor who knows almost nothing about skating.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
4 seasons wasn't lucky at worlds but its early days yet.
True, it wasn't. In fact, I think Nationals was the only clean FS Patrick had that season. I wouldn't mind if Patrick only has one clean FS this season too (at the Olympics, of course).

emdee

Final Flight
True, it wasn't. In fact, I think Nationals was the only clean FS Patrick had that season. I wouldn't mind if Patrick only has one clean FS this season too (at the Olympics, of course).

Me too.... though I am going for Nats and I hope he has a wonderful skate there.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan honours late coach by returning to ‘greatest hits’

“I’m not trying to do crazy moves or push the envelope – this is not the season to do that,” said Chan after the skate. “This is the season to go back to what is comfortable, what makes you happy, what makes you enjoy skating, what makes you skate the best. There are a lot of highlights in the program from several other programs that I did well. There are reminders of things Mr. Colson would have me do as a younger skater.”

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for posting that article Bluebonnet! The excerpt you shared in your post made me smile and made me want to cry at the same time. It's as if Patrick knows his skating days are numbered. He really does love to skate. I have the impression that Patrick has always enjoyed skating (i.e edges, gliding, footwork, etc) and choreography more than jumps anyway. His respect and appreciation for Mr. Colson is ever present. I'm sure he wants to skate well in Sochi for Mr. Colson as much as for anyone else. I don't know if Patrick plans to skate in many shows post-Sochi (I hope so!), but this I know for sure: This season will be quite a ride for Patrick and for all of us ubers. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

emdee

Final Flight
After yesterday I am trying to see how I can go to Skate Canada. Good seats are still available...Spiky? Blue? Skate Figuring? Anyone joining me?

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks for posting that article Bluebonnet! The excerpt you shared in your post made me smile and made me want to cry at the same time. It's as if Patrick knows his skating days are numbered. He really does love to skate. I have the impression that Patrick has always enjoyed skating (i.e edges, gliding, footwork, etc) and choreography more than jumps anyway. His respect and appreciation for Mr. Colson is ever present. I'm sure he wants to skate well in Sochi for Mr. Colson as much as for anyone else. I don't know if Patrick plans to skate in many shows post-Sochi (I hope so!), but this I know for sure: This season will be quite a ride for Patrick and for all of us ubers. I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Thank you Blue and golden for the articles. Like skatingfan said, being likely his last season, I think he wants to skate for 'himself' and for 'Coulson'. The 'greatest hits', IMO, means the music Coulson enjoyed too. I am sure the music was selected very carefully to incorporate what he wanted, as per the articles, his wonderful skating skills and footwork set to Coulson's and his favourite music. It is not easy to enjoy 'competitive' skating as you need to incorporate all the elements (afterall, it's an athletic competition so the focus is to win the competition as opposed to show skating for enjoyment only). We all face some time in our lives, what inspire us to love when mundane reality creeps in.

I as a Patrick fan would love to see the final flight of brilliant steps leading out of Sochi as I too know it will be the final ride with him. Yes skatingfan, let's us all hold on tight to our seats for the finger-nail biting ride! :)