Patrick Chan | Page 101 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
After yesterday I am trying to see how I can go to Skate Canada. Good seats are still available...Spiky? Blue? Skate Figuring? Anyone joining me?

Emdee, I am sooo tempted. Not only to watch the encore skates of Patrick and V&M but to meet up with you ladies with whom I have enjoyed this fan ride with. October may be too near as it's already end August. If Canada is less than 10 hours of flight time, I wouldn't have hesitated. Afterall, my last chance to watch my favourite skaters live. Are there tickets left for Nationals? I may just take a week off on my own into the freezing Canadian cold. Is there any spare ticket for me to latch on in case I decide on a last minute one week holiday? :)

emdee

Final Flight
Emdee, I am sooo tempted. Not only to watch the encore skates of Patrick and V&M but to meet up with you ladies with whom I have enjoyed this fan ride with. October may be too near as it's already end August. If Canada is less than 10 hours of flight time, I wouldn't have hesitated. Afterall, my last chance to watch my favourite skaters live. Are there tickets left for Nationals? I may just take a week off on my own into the freezing Canadian cold. Is there any spare ticket for me to latch on in case I decide on a last minute one week holiday? :)

Spiky, Nats tickets only come out in early october so you have time....of course it's the heart of winter in Ottawa....but it may be an experience for you.
Coriana has booked her nationals trip as well.

Coriana

On the Ice
Me again. On this forum Coriana is spelled correctly with one n. (She's my favourite show jumping mare (to watch not ride) now sadly sold to Spain. )

I booked for the Nationals with Dash Tours, and if you're serious - I hope you are - I recommend going through them. The competition is quite a ways outside Ottawa in Kanata, and all the hotels near by have been booked since the announcement. Dash has reserved a hotel only three kilometres from the arena and they run a shuttle back and forth. The cost for seats and four nights at is around $1000 Canadian (that's with the single supplement) I'm too old and insomnia ridden to share a room, but you might find someone else to do so which would lower the price. I can send you details if you wish. While booking on your own might save a few dollars, they will quickly be eaten up by transportation., and your seats will not be as good. ( Emdee booked her hotel months and months ago.) She emailed me tonight that she has decided against going to Skate Canada.

:agree: Yes, we are, and we will support Patrick NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS in Sochi. As an avid Michelle Kwan fan, I've been through multiple Olympic disappointments. Life goes on, both for the skater and for their fans. It's not the end of the world if a skater doesn't win the OGM. There's only room for one champion every four years. I still wish Michelle had won an OGM, but the fact that she didn't doesn't minimize my enjoyment of her skating. I want Patrick to win by skating perfectly because that is what HE wants for himself. I want HIM to be satisfied with his second Olympic experience. I will definitely be cheering for him all the way! :biggrin:

I agree! This is how I felt and feel about Michelle. (And Kurt Browning.) The same will be true of all our favorites after Sochi. We don't love these skaters arbitrarily. We love them because something in their skating speaks to us. That's not always something that can be quantified.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for posting those articles SGrand! I had to chuckle a bit at this, though, from the second article:

What Chan brings to elite competition is a sense of reliability, even destiny. He's never been discombobulated by nerves, an affliction that often makes the difference in an unforgiving sport where one miniscule misstep can make the difference between podium and also-ran.
I don't know about the rest of you, but to me Patrick looked nervous all last season, and each long program had its share of mistakes. It's a pro-Canada article, but Patrick's not quite as unaffected as he may appear. I say this with all due respect to Patrick and his skating. Plushenko and Yu-Na are better examples of skaters not being affected by nerves. I am a Chan uber for life, but I don't think that paragraph is entirely accurate.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
AFAIK, all skaters admit to nerves at competition. Some just manage them better than others, at the right time. I am sure a 3-time World Champion is one of them. Affected, yes. Discombobulated? Probably not since the last Olympics.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
AFAIK, all skaters admit to nerves at competition. Some just manage them better than others, at the right time. I am sure a 3-time World Champion is one of them. Affected, yes. Discombobulated? Probably not since the last Olympics.
Good perspective. I wasn't saying that Patrick can't handle his nerves well (although the haters may say that). I was just rather surprised at the choice of words in the article. But, as spikydurian points out, journalists sometimes exaggerate. I would say a multiple National and World Champion knows how to handle nerves (regardless of the fact that some people think two of those three world titles were undeserved). I just hope this coming season is spectacular for Patrick! :biggrin:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for posting that! It looks good. However, I would rather have Patrick do two quad toes and skate clean than be so focused on the quad salchow that the rest of the program suffers. If it's consistent and he feels good with it, that's another story. Good for him for wanting to work on it! Any ideas as to when/if we may see it in competition?

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks for posting that! It looks good. However, I would rather have Patrick do two quad toes and skate clean than be so focused on the quad salchow that the rest of the program suffers. If it's consistent and he feels good with it, that's another story. Good for him for wanting to work on it! Any ideas as to when/if we may see it in competition?

The vid has been taken off. It was a good one. Maybe, he may do it for fun in his Ex since he joked about throwing in quadS and 3As? :biggrin:

Coriana

On the Ice
I imagine he won't put it in his programme unless it becomes extremely reliable, OR should he find himself pressed to gain extra points. He's probably comfortable with not having the highest potential technical score if others remain more or less the same as last season, however should one of the top skaters dramatically up their technical content, it's nice to know Patrick could develop a plan B.

spikydurian

Medalist
I imagine he won't put it in his programme unless it becomes extremely reliable, OR should he find himself pressed to gain extra points. He's probably comfortable with not having the highest potential technical score if others remain more or less the same as last season, however should one of the top skaters dramatically up th eir technical c ontent, it's nice to know Patrick could develop a plan B.

I think the vid was taken during the CSOI practice and it looks pretty solid. Yes, it is good to have a Plan B. He seems more comfortable with his quads this season.

emdee

Final Flight
Why are they already doing CSOI practices for next year? Or was the vid taking at this year CSOI practices?

Any news of Patrick?

Spiky any chance of you coming here for Nationals or Skate Canada?

Coriana

On the Ice
Welcome home, Emdee. It was last year's CSOI. No news of Patrick here since Thornhill that I know of, other than he said he was not doing anything new, but might throw in a quad sal and second triple axle for fun... a light hearted comment made at High Performance Camp. Also he posted a pic of him and Jeremy A. having a mock duel with mimed swords on the Detroit shore line. It was cute and I would have posted it had I any idea how.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Welcome home, Emdee. It was last year's CSOI. No news of Patrick here since Thornhill that I know of, other than he said he was not doing anything new, but might throw in a quad sal and second triple axle for fun... a light hearted comment made at High Performance Camp. Also he posted a pic of him and Jeremy A. having a mock duel with mimed swords on the Detroit shore line. It was cute and I would have posted it had I any idea how.

here it is...

http://instagram.com/p/eQ34IJx1yE/#

emdee

Final Flight
How are you SkateFiguring? Any chance we will see you at St John or Ottawa? You should be there to cheer our champ's last hurrahs.....