Patrick Chan | Page 103 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

deedee1

Record Breaker
Good luck to Patrick at Skate Canada! :yay: Two briliant programs :yes: ...to shut up all naysayers mouths! :biggrin:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
http://m.olympics.cbc.ca/news/artic...p-spot-after-short-program-skate-candada.html

Great attitude Patrick, win or lose, keep thinking this way!!! 
:agree::clap::biggrin: As I wrote in another thread, I just hope Patrick can be happy with how he skates this season EVEN IF he doesn't win the OGM. It's going to be a dog fight if everybody skates relatively well. If he keeps this perspective in mind, he is on his way to a satisfying season NO MATTER WHAT the outcome. Hopefully this perspective will allow him to do cleaner programs as well. Best wishes Patrick!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am very happy about Patrick's current mindset based on two recent interviews I read.

One is the inspiration he got from a great baseball player (forget his name, :)), i.e. the knowing confidence of the win from the start, a feeling he remembers from his own experience when he had his greatest accomplishment, winning his first Worlds title while smashing records. It is more important to remember and replicate the feelings and mindset of a success than the actions and external factors of the event. Or to model one of a successful person if such feelings are lacking in personal experiences. The mind leads.

The other is from this article. He now chooses to relax. :yes: I would tell him or any skater if I could: You compete when you train, on ice and off ice, when you choose the proper diet, the best music and choreography, when you study COP and practice your programs.....just about every day. But don't compete when you are on the ice by yourself at the competition. Then you perform, moment by moment. Don't think about competition, or anything at all. Just perform and do what you know you do extremely well. IOW, get in the ZONE!

Go Patrick go!

SGrand

Final Flight
This is something I wrote in the men's SP thread, but thought it could go here as well:

They just re-showed Patricks SP and I have to say, it seems as though he has really worked hard on this program. He basically hit every note and went along with the music, something I think he went in and out of last year. I realize this is a repeat SP for him and he achieved a WR at worlds last season (so there is obviously a comfort level), but he looked to feel the music more and let it take him instead of trying to force anything. I just really enjoyed this performance and am hoping he can keep his calm and just enjoy skating this season.
Excited for the LP and am hoping for some stellar performances today!!!

spikydurian

Medalist
Yes, SF and SGrand. I like Patrick's mindset. I think having experience counts alot. I can share my experience with you but unless you have experienced exactly what I had and we are of the same personality, the outcome will be different. Patrick has to find the IT where he feels most comfortable and relaxed. Last year seems like a year he dug deep to understand himself. IMO, Patrick comes across as an extrovert with an easy going nature. He has emphasized time and again how important 'friends' are to him. I guess part of the reason for leaving Colorado is that all his friends who previously trained and competed together with him, have all retired except Max Aaron. I am happy he found genuine support and friendship in Weaver, Poje, Balde and Abbot. I think they all have benefited from training together. So much improvements for ALL of them.

Looking forward to great skates from Patrick, Balde and Abbot. W&P had theirs and it was wow.

treeloving

Medalist
Just watch Skate Canada and one thing that I'm curious about; could Patrick fan tell me if he plan one 3A in his free program or that last axel jump suppose to be 3A as well?

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just watch Skate Canada and one thing that I'm curious about; could Patrick fan tell me if he plan one 3A in his free program or that last axel jump suppose to be 3A as well?
He typically does one 3A in the LP now. It was meant to happen after the second quad. The 2A at the end of the program was planned as such.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
OH MY GOSH, I LOVE THIS LP!!! The 4 minutes simply flew by!!! I love where the second quad is placed, right at the end of a music section. It's like, BAM, here I am and here's my quad! Congrats to Patrick on a good SC! He looked so much more relaxed and calm this weekend than he did all last season. Different mindset + Vivaldi = AMAZING SKATING. May this continue all the way through Sochi. (The Sochi Men's LP is on Feb 14th, and an OGM would make Patrick's Valentine's Day lovely, don't you think?) Anyway, here is Patrick's LP from SC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMojkfHl-U&feature=youtu.be

And here is a fantastic post-LP interview with Jeff Buttle. Best Line: "I actually beat you!" (referring to 2008 Nationals).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUEhpiqzhYE

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
OH MY GOSH, I LOVE THIS LP!!! The 4 minutes simply flew by!!! I love where the second quad is placed, right at the end of a music section. It's like, BAM, here I am and here's my quad! Congrats to Patrick on a good SC! He looked so much more relaxed and calm this weekend than he did all last season. Different mindset + Vivaldi = AMAZING SKATING. May this continue all the way through Sochi. (The Sochi Men's LP is on Feb 14th, and an OGM would make Patrick's Valentine's Day lovely, don't you think?) Anyway, here is Patrick's LP from SC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMojkfHl-U&feature=youtu.be

And here is a fantastic post-LP interview with Jeff Buttle. Best Line: "I actually beat you!" (referring to 2008 Nationals).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUEhpiqzhYE

I Just Adore Him. He transfixed me today. and as I've said on other threads here, he has the greatest potential to vault figure skating back into the public consciousness as a great art form. He is one of the best ever. SO rooting for him.

Moment

Final Flight
I really like his program to Four Seasons too. If he could skate with more confidence, control and finesse, his PCS will be something like 96 or even higher.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Love the interview with Buttler. He is relaxed and the friendship and closeness between them shows.

Oh, congratulations, Patrick. Keep the winning mindset and the experience. Winning is just a habit.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Forgive me for my ignorance, but I have a question. What is the rule for determining whether a skater gets an "over time" deduction for a program? Does the clock stop when the music ends or when a skater stops moving? Patrick always seems to finish his Elegy SP after the music ends. Has he ever gotten a deduction for this? It’s a small thing, but small things tend to matter at the Olympics. As I recall, Pang and Tong got a deduction like this in Vancouver and ended up 4th after the SP. Call me a worrier, but there you have it. Please enlighten me about this!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Incredible LP! I am totally speechless and stunned.

Congrats (and good luck) Patrick! Best pair of programs of the men this season with out a doubt. Really mature work and 100% Patrick Chan- I can't imagine any other skater doing it the way he does it. I have always been on the tip of wanting to like Patrick more, and now I am embarrassed to say, I am a little in love. He has really take his craft into an artistry in a big way over the last 18 months, all that sacrifices and lonely decisions every one questioned and no one supported seems to be working. He found his style, and I love to see the work flourish. Just the way he moves across the ice using his whole body movement in all its supple and subtlety was just astounding. I can't wait to see how this program will evolve through the season, it can only get better.

Is the this the first Skate Canada without controversies? How many year has it been? I think the judges were paying attention and didn't go crazy which helps. Just as well, it leaves more room for improvement as the season goes on till the Olympics.

emdee

Final Flight
The last three days at skate canada have been incredible. Every day I saw one program of patrick.
His short was not as good as London but his fluidity has only got better.His triple axel was huge and confident.

I love his Freeskate. It is so nuanced and each movement means something for him and us. It is true genius in Patrick's hands.

What can I say about the ex. I think his best ever. I love his footwork and his gorgeous smile. You feel he is smiling straight at you.

I think I will watch this again and again.

SGrand

Final Flight
That Ex program is so great, he seems so relaxed and is obviously having fun, I love it. He is coming into his own now, I think I'm going to enjoy this season!!! Go Patrick!!!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I remember Patrick skated a jazz number with three top male skaters as backups for Yuna in her show and he was the sassiest and most artistic/espressive one, incredibly more so than Lambiel! I've been wanting to see him perform a dancy jazzy solo since. Step out Patrick!

I think Patrick's long term plan for the Olympics will pay out for him - first get the quad down pat, then the artistry, and now the mental part. He is putting them all together this season and I hope for the perfect alignment at the Olympics.

Go Patrick go. At your own pace. :agree:

Maybe a show number with the song My Way will be appropriate after the OGM. ;)