Patrick Chan | Page 106 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
I noticed the "from China" too. His parents are Chinese, but no way is he "from China." I had flashbacks of the hate he got before the 2011 GPF. That's a can of worms I never want to see opened again. :no:
That's probably just a slip of tongue from the commentator. Subconsciously, all ethnic Chinese are from China.:biggrin:

[I appreciate each skater for their strengths and what they bring to the ice.
Yes, I agree with you. We are all free to like many skaters and they all bring different skills to the ice. Life would be boring if all the skaters skate and look alike. :)

lcd

Match Penalty
I wonder what his coach Kathy Johnson will do if/once Patrick retires. Will she draw more students? It's a unique circumstance obviously, where they had a long-standing relationship and Patrick essentially has all of the technical basics in spades.

emdee

Final Flight
I wonder what his coach Kathy Johnson will do if/once Patrick retires. Will she draw more students? It's a unique circumstance obviously, where they had a long-standing relationship and Patrick essentially has all of the technical basics in spades.

Maybe she will do Choreo. I know she does work with others like WP with respect to their dancing.
Also with Patrick's success others may come to her for her help. Look at Christy Krall who now has a whole stable of skaters or Brian Orser. Andrei Rogozine could really use her help. In Detroit itself she will find plenty of room for her talents with three Skating houses!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Honestly, I did not appreciate Patrick's Four season LP that much at the beginning, I thought it has too many repetitive moves from his old programs... But, yesterday, I re-watched this TEB LP for the first time after the competition. I was not prepared, but gradually, my heart started to beat faster, my breath started to become deeper, and almost tears in my eyes .... I realized it is indeed a master piece.
Have been stricken by Patrick unprepared twice now (First time being watch his SP practice at 2013 worlds, totally blew away, quote" his skating just drew you in...").
What should I do?...

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I doubt Kathy Johnson will be listed as the primary coach for any more figure skaters. It's possible that other skaters may consult with her in the future, but it's hard to know. How did she and Patrick find each other initially? Did Christy Krall know her or something? I wonder what the extent of Johnson's actual figure skating knowledge is. I have the impression that Patrick's training and career are mainly self-directed at this point.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks for the Eurosport link to Patrick's LP, skatingfan. BTW, the commentator introduced Patrick 'from China'.:eek: ...

.... I noticed the "from China" too. His parents are Chinese, but no way is he "from China." I had flashbacks of the hate he got before the 2011 GPF. That's a can of worms I never want to see opened again. :no:

That's probably just a slip of tongue from the commentator. Subconsciously, all ethnic Chinese are from China.:biggrin: ...

True. And Patrick is indeed very proud of his Chinese heritage.

Yikes, the "from China" error is quite egregious, IMHO.
Would you let a commentator off the hook so readily if s/he introduced Andrew Poje as "from Slovakia," for example? When Weaver/Poje were assigned to compete at Nepela, he spoke with pride and excitement of his blood relatives in Slovakia, some of whom he happily met for the first time on that trip. But as a skater, Poje clearly represents Canada, as does Chan.

Although Johnson is a full-time coach only to Chan (AFAIK), other skaters (sorry, I don't remember which ones) have said that working with her has helped them improve their movement and dance skills. My hunch is that demand for Johnson's expertise will continue to be healthy after Chan retires.

emdee

Final Flight
Honestly, I did not appreciate Patrick's Four season LP that much at the beginning, I thought it has too many repetitive moves from his old programs... But, yesterday, I re-watched this TEB LP for the first time after the competition. I was not prepared, but gradually, my heart started to beat faster, my breath started to become deeper, and almost tears in my eyes .... I realized it is indeed a master piece.
Have been stricken by Patrick unprepared twice now (First time being watch his SP practice at 2013 worlds, totally blew away, quote" his skating just drew you in...").
What should I do?...

You need to become a true blue fan of Patrick!
Appreciate his skating with your heart and not your mind. Allow yourself to flow with the flow of his blade.
While I liked Elegie from the very beginning, I too had to allow the new 4 seasons to grow on me. When I first saw it in Thornhill punctuated with step outs and placeholders it had potential. However in St John at Skate Canada I knew it could be great.

I was fortunate to be at worlds 2013 so I can tell you the short was an emotional program for me.. blew me away.

SGrand

Final Flight
I remember seeing someone mention is somewhere, but I don't think it was on this thread.
Did anyone else see how adorable Jason was on the podium when Patrick was receiving his medal? He told Chinquanta that Patrick was amazing and motioned that he had tears running down his face (I'm assuming while watching Patricks LP). That is one of the cutest gestures I have ever seen and that, along with his skating, has made me a fan if his!
Also, loved how broadcasters showed the reactions of the other skaters (Eric Radford, Michal B., Coughlin etc) after Patricks skate. They were obviously blown away by that performance and were so lucky to have witnessed it!!!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I remember seeing someone mention is somewhere, but I don't think it was on this thread.
Did anyone else see how adorable Jason was on the podium when Patrick was receiving his medal? He told Chinquanta that Patrick was amazing and motioned that he had tears running down his face (I'm assuming while watching Patricks LP). That is one of the cutest gestures I have ever seen and that, along with his skating, has made me a fan if his!
Also, loved how broadcasters showed the reactions of the other skaters (Eric Radford, Michal B., Coughlin etc) after Patricks skate. They were obviously blown away by that performance and were so lucky to have witnessed it!!!

I think they all have tears in their eyes! and They are dudes....... This is the absolute proof of Patrick's magic. you got to be there live at least once to really appreciate it. it is unreal! I tell ya!

SAYACAT

Spectator
You need to become a true blue fan of Patrick!
Appreciate his skating with your heart and not your mind. Allow yourself to flow with the flow of his blade.
While I liked Elegie from the very beginning, I too had to allow the new 4 seasons to grow on me. When I first saw it in Thornhill punctuated with step outs and placeholders it had potential. However in St John at Skate Canada I knew it could be great.

I was fortunate to be at worlds 2013 so I can tell you the short was an emotional program for me.. blew me away.

I'm a green, red, black, pink and yellow fan of Patrick.Can you get me in?

Here is my little contribution to this thread:

If you want beautiful HD HQ videos watch in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_A97I3sPgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJPnSEYX0w

You can watch these two videos on YT in full screen and they will be beautiful.If you want to download the videos (YTD Video Downloader or Youtube Downloader HD) they will be awesome.

Some HQ pictures can be found in here:

http://www.justjaredjr.com/photo-gallery/618585/patrick-chan-jason-brown-trophee-paris-02/

Click zoom and you'll have beautiful pictures.

emdee

Final Flight
Welcome sayacat!
Hopefully you are not black and blue from falling on the ice....
Thanks for the links.
I really enjoyed them . Wonderful clarity.
Do you have a video of the media interview post FS?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Welcome to the fest SAYACAT! And you come bearing gifts too. Those are the best videos! Thank you. Are they from TV, without the live TES? Now if only someone from our Japan Bureau will tell us what the commentators say.

emdee

Final Flight
Welcome to the fest SAYACAT! And you come bearing gifts too. Those are the best videos! Thank you. Are they from TV, without the live TES? Now if only someone from our Japan Bureau will tell us what the commentators say.

We'll have to round up our Japan bureau.....

lakeside

On the Ice
Thank you, SAYACAT. Did you upload the two videos? If you have time, can you translate what the Japanese commentators said about Patrick? I remember there used to be a Japanese fan on this thread. Haven't seen her these days. I heard the Japanese commentators usually say nice things about Patrick. Especially now that Patrick is on top of his game and is beating all the Japanese men, I wonder what they say now.

SAYACAT

Spectator
Welcome sayacat!
Hopefully you are not black and blue from falling on the ice....
Thanks for the links.
I really enjoyed them . Wonderful clarity.
Do you have a video of the media interview post FS?

Not on the ice but on my knees watching Patrick. His skating is pure magic.
Interesting, I joined this forum in 2004 and to this day I've only posted 4 times and here I am posting twice LOL
Answering your question: No, I don't have the media interview post FS but I'm a good digger. I see what I can find.
RE live TES: I've got the Bristish Eurosport HD version from a friend and that too had no live TES so I think it's HD thing. Too bad the HD version doesn't have the live TES because watching Patrick's TES going up and up was unbelievable exciting.
BTW, this Bristish Eurosport HD should be good but is not.......... and I am not Japanese.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many congrats to Patrick and his fans for such two fabulous masterful and magical skates at the recent TEB and winning it literally by a landslide! :) His skates were...I can't find English words that describe my feeling the best with my limited vocabulary, just :jaw: and :bow: and :love:!

to SkateFiguring (assuming this thread is the best place to be caught by SF ;))
Sorry that I'm too late to say this, but thanks a lot for your kind warm words as usual in another thread. You, blueb and any other Patrick fans are always welcomed and appreciated at Dai's thread of course, so please please visit there anytime you like!

SGrand

Final Flight
Many congrats to Patrick and his fans for such two fabulous masterful and magical skates at the recent TEB and winning it literally by a landslide! :) His skates were...I can't find English words that describe my feeling the best with my limited vocabulary, just :jaw: and :bow: and :love:!

to SkateFiguring (assuming this thread is the best place to be caught by SF ;))
Sorry that I'm too late to say this, but thanks a lot for your kind warm words as usual in another thread. You, blueb and any other Patrick fans are always welcomed and appreciated at Dai's thread of course, so please please visit there anytime you like!

I keep watching and watching over and over again, man that LP is fantastic and I just LOVE that music for him.

emdee

Final Flight
I keep watching and watching over and over again, man that LP is fantastic and I just LOVE that music for him.

Me too. But then a couple of days ago I watched Patrick fromm 2006 to the present and it was a lovely evening of skating.

I have really seen the evolution of the masterpiece from Thornhill to SC and now TEB.