Patrick Chan | Page 107 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

SGrand

Final Flight
Me too. But then a couple of days ago I watched Patrick fromm 2006 to the present and it was a lovely evening of skating.

I have really seen the evolution of the masterpiece from Thornhill to SC and now TEB.

It must have been tough in Thornhill with rink size and knowing that he's just going to mark it out jump-wise. I still think you're so lucky to have seen him. I would have loved to be at TEB, but I probably would have got all choked up lol. I was so nervous when I checked the thread before watching it on TV, I couldn't help but check, and I was so happy to see all the remarks and news!!!!!
I really think this season is going to be different for him. Would really love to see him take the gold at Oly's, but whatever, he has made his mark and I am so proud of him. I hope he doesn't retire :(((

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
None of the TEB live stream worked for me so I was just reading the event posts and waiting for videos. When Patrick started his LP there was an immediate claim that he had just won the competition so I knew right away he had performed his opening quads successfully. Then everybody stopped posting. The thread went dead for about 4 minutes. I knew then Patrick skated an awesome flawless program, mesmerizing audiences into silence, just as commentators are at times rendered speechless during the most wonderful performances.

And that was exactly what happened.

What an amazing experience it must be for those lucky ones watching it live.

emdee

Final Flight
None of the TEB live stream worked for me so I was just reading the event posts and waiting for videos. When Patrick started his LP there was an immediate claim that he had just won the competition so I knew right away he had performed his opening quads successfully. Then everybody stopped posting. The thread went dead for about 4 minutes. I knew then Patrick skated an awesome flawless program, mesmerizing audiences into silence, just as commentators are at times rendered speechless during the most wonderful performances.

I watched the whole program on my ipad without sound - for some reason I couldnt get the sound to work. However, I was spellbound.

emdee

Final Flight
It must have been tough in Thornhill with rink size and knowing that he's just going to mark it out jump-wise. I still think you're so lucky to have seen him. I would have loved to be at TEB, but I probably would have got all choked up lol. I was so nervous when I checked the thread before watching it on TV, I couldn't help but check, and I was so happy to see all the remarks and news!!!!!
I really think this season is going to be different for him. Would really love to see him take the gold at Oly's, but whatever, he has made his mark and I am so proud of him. I hope he doesn't retire :(((

I have been really lucky to see Patrick a few times. Was at Skate Canada with Coriana and will be at Nationals too. His skating is absolutely stunning in person.

SGrand

Final Flight

I started reading after the comp was finished and before the broadcast started. When I saw the number of posts my stomach dropped......hate to say that I just automatically assumed it was full of controversy lol. Much to my surprise, it was full of not only astonishment, but admiration and love and support and utter AWE.....some of that coming from non-fans of his. That's when I got a tear in my eye.
Oh god, I cannot believe I'm being dramatic over figure skating!!! LMAO

SGrand

Final Flight
I have been really lucky to see Patrick a few times. Was at Skate Canada with Coriana and will be at Nationals too. His skating is absolutely stunning in person.

I have only seen him once, last year in Stratford.....or was it this year? Lol! Was just a small show, but had Kurt and Jeff and Elvis etc. was so much fun, but I would love to see competition so bad!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I keep watching and watching over and over again, man that LP is fantastic and I just LOVE that music for him.
Me too. Glad I'm not the only one. :laugh: Others in my household probably think I've gone nuts. In a sense, I have. I really want Patrick to win the OGM, but if he doesn't, at least we will always have this TEB to rewatch with joy. Fingers crossed that the Sochi programs will bring us the same joy! :biggrin:

fwsf

Rinkside
I don’t usually post but this seems to be a special occasion to celebrate Patrick’s 2 perfect performances so I am going to relate some personal observations here.

First, thank you Sayacat for the beautiful HD videos. I was visiting Kurashiki (Takahashi’s home town) March 2012 just before the 2012 World. In front of a tea shop was a live size cardboard cut out of Takahashi, I was not a customer but I took a photo of the cut out. The owner lady standing outside greeting customers must be a skating and Takahashi fan. When she saw me taking a photo and the Canadian flag on my back pack she said to me in her limited English ‘Patrick Chan, good skater. Takahashi good looking. Right !’ Many are curious about what the Japanese commentator was saying, but I’m sure they were really complimentary. Even Takahashi fan in his home town complimented Patrick a ‘good’ skater.

About Eurosport commentator referring to Patrick from China, I have to say I am glad Patrick is from Canada otherwise his talent will probably not be fully developed as a single skater and may be put into pair which is the strongest program in China. Here is a video (many may have seen it already) that exemplify Patrick’s development from a long Canadian skating tradition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tPJiIUVtSs&feature=share&list=PLZWFuEXRcTHE2i5_D7wloo9zSSqYdh4PP

About Kathy Johnson as coach, I was watching Patrick practice at 2013 Skate Canada and was noticing that unlike other Skater that did a long run of the program on the ice and then talk to the coach briefly. Kathy was talking and gesturing to Patrick after each lap round the ice. I was then thinking Kathy really paid attention and gave her skater a lot more feedback than other coaches. 2013 was not a great season for Patrick but it seems to finally work out for this Olympic season. I think it takes time to improve upper body movements if one is not borne with it like Takahashi but have to learn it. Hard work finally pays off.

SGrand

Final Flight
I don’t usually post but this seems to be a special occasion to celebrate Patrick’s 2 perfect performances so I am going to relate some personal observations here.

First, thank you Sayacat for the beautiful HD videos. I was visiting Kurashiki (Takahashi’s home town) March 2012 just before the 2012 World. In front of a tea shop was a live size cardboard cut out of Takahashi, I was not a customer but I took a photo of the cut out. The owner lady standing outside greeting customers must be a skating and Takahashi fan. When she saw me taking a photo and the Canadian flag on my back pack she said to me in her limited English ‘Patrick Chan, good skater. Takahashi good looking. Right !’ Many are curious about what the Japanese commentator was saying, but I’m sure they were really complimentary. Even Takahashi fan in his home town complimented Patrick a ‘good’ skater.

About Eurosport commentator referring to Patrick from China, I have to say I am glad Patrick is from Canada otherwise his talent will probably not be fully developed as a single skater and may be put into pair which is the strongest program in China. Here is a video (many may have seen it already) that exemplify Patrick’s development from a long Canadian skating tradition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tPJiIUVtSs&feature=share&list=PLZWFuEXRcTHE2i5_D7wloo9zSSqYdh4PP

About Kathy Johnson as coach, I was watching Patrick practice at 2013 Skate Canada and was noticing that unlike other Skater that did a long run of the program on the ice and then talk to the coach briefly. Kathy was talking and gesturing to Patrick after each lap round the ice. I was then thinking Kathy really paid attention and gave her skater a lot more feedback than other coaches. 2013 was not a great season for Patrick but it seems to finally work out for this Olympic season. I think it takes time to improve upper body movements if one is not borne with it like Takahashi but have to learn it. Hard work finally pays off.

Could that video be any cuter!????

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Much to my surprise, it was full of not only astonishment, but admiration and love and support and utter AWE.....some of that coming from non-fans of his. That's when I got a tear in my eye.

I cannot believe I'm being dramatic over figure skating!!!
I know, right?! After last season, I vowed I wouldn't go into the competition threads anymore because it was too painful to read all the negativity. But, the play by play aspect was too hard to resist, so I read it. It felt so good, like my being an uber Patrick fan was vindicated. And your last sentence is SO TRUE!!! I get dramatic over figure skating all the time. It's nice to find out that there are other people out there who are the same way.

SGrand

Final Flight
Me too. Glad I'm not the only one. :laugh: Others in my household probably think I've gone nuts. In a sense, I have. I really want Patrick to win the OGM, but if he doesn't, at least we will always have this TEB to rewatch with joy. Fingers crossed that the Sochi programs will bring us the same joy! :biggrin:

My husband thinks I'm nuts. But he always likes to watch Patrick :)

emdee

Final Flight
I have only seen him once, last year in Stratford.....or was it this year? Lol! Was just a small show, but had Kurt and Jeff and Elvis etc. was so much fun, but I would love to see competition so bad!

If you want to come to Ottawa I am willing to give you a ride there as my DH has kindly agreed to drive me there. I have never been to the Canadians so it will be exciting.

I also went for that show in Newmarket and it was fun especially with the 4 world champs. You can have a look to see if Patrick will skate this year at the Margaret Garrison show that is usually in Brampton. It is well priced ( on ice was just 50$) and thats where I got obsessed with his feet. My DD and myself were placed at the table with the chief sponsors so Pattie was within hugging distance......but I restrained myself!

spikydurian

Medalist
lcd said:
I wonder what his coach Kathy Johnson will do if/once Patrick retires. Will she draw more students? It's a unique circumstance obviously, where they had a long-standing relationship and Patrick essentially has all of the technical basics in spades.
I assume Kathy will continue what she is doing now - a dance coach. It doesn’t mean that when Patrick retires, she will retire. Kathy moves around rinks to coach figure skaters.

skatingfan said:
I doubt Kathy Johnson will be listed as the primary coach for any more figure skaters. It's possible that other skaters may consult with her in the future, but it's hard to know. How did she and Patrick find each other initially? Did Christy Krall know her or something? I wonder what the extent of Johnson's actual figure skating knowledge is. I have the impression that Patrick's training and career are mainly self-directed at this point.
Kathy became Patrick’s only coach when Krall resigned from coaching Patrick. As far as I understand, Patrick wanted both of them but Krall was not happy to share coaching which is understandable as some coaches prefer to be solely in charge. Although Kathy is not a figure skater, she is a movement expert and has been teaching dance movement to figure skaters to enhance their skating. Kathy helped Patrick in mastering his quads. It is not a ecret now that Patrick’s quads are more consistent than his 3A thanks to both Krall and Kathy. Patrick did say that he wanted to be responsible for himself so I would assume he is, in one way or another, self-directing his training. However, I am he has input from experts. And at thise level, you really don’t need a coach to be with you 24 hours a day.

golden411 said:
Would you let a commentator off the hook so readily if s/he introduced Andrew Poje as "from Slovakia," for example?
I didn’t know Poje is Slovakian. Wow… Slovakian dudes are hot.:love:

coppertop1

On the Ice
He is a master of the blade. He really benefits from the IJS, as it does reward quality and Patrick is awesome at everything. What I love most is that he doesn't rest on his laurels, and he is honest in interviews. If he lays it down in Sochi he will be hard to beat.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I searched again today for the NBC version of Patrick's TEB FS, not expecting to find it. Well, ask and ye shall receive! I found the SP, FS, and interview all in one video!!! Terry, Johnny, and Tara were in as much awe as we were. And Patrick said this was "not part of the plan." He seemed as surprised as we were by how well he skated at TEB.

2013 TEB Patrick Chan SP+FS+Interview (NBC)

For the sake of comparison, I'm also posting Patrick's SC FS with NBC commentary:

2013 SC Patrick Chan FS (NBC)

:love: I could watch Patrick skate all day, jumps or no jumps. Last season was rough for Patrick and his fans, but this season is shaping up to be amazing!!! :)

SGrand

Final Flight
If you want to come to Ottawa I am willing to give you a ride there as my DH has kindly agreed to drive me there. I have never been to the Canadians so it will be exciting.

I also went for that show in Newmarket and it was fun especially with the 4 world champs. You can have a look to see if Patrick will skate this year at the Margaret Garrison show that is usually in Brampton. It is well priced ( on ice was just 50$) and thats where I got obsessed with his feet. My DD and myself were placed at the table with the chief sponsors so Pattie was within hugging distance......but I restrained myself!

Hi Emdee! Thanks so much, that is very kind of you! I never have a clue when I am working though so it is tough for me to commit to anything like that. Thanks again though, have fun cheering on Patrick!!!! 😀

SGrand

Final Flight
Hey everyone! CBC is soon going to air an interview with Jeff Buttle where he discusses Pattick! :)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hey everyone! CBC is soon going to air an interview with Jeff Buttle where he discusses Patrick! :)
Please post a link to it when it becomes available. Jeff is always very articulate and such a gentleman. An amazing skater talking about another amazing skater. You can't get much better than that! :)

spikydurian

Medalist
Sayacat said:
and I am not Japanese.
A belated thank you and welcome, Sayacat. You are interesting. You registered in 2004 (hello, that’s nearly 10 years ago) and you have only posted four times. Now, I think this thread has struck gold with you posting here twice. Interestingly, your forum can mean ‘I cat’ in another language.

skatingfan4ever said:
Others in my household probably think I've gone nuts

SGrand said:
My husband thinks I'm nuts.

Count me in! My family too know that I am a skating fan and like to tease me about it. I often post Patrick’s programs on my Facebook so now everyone knows he’s my ‘no, 1 idol’. Unfortunately, my family does not share my passion for figure skating though my husband occasionally takes a peep at what I am watching. They are more interested in other sports.

Yes, skatingfan. It’s not easy being a Patrick fan, and reading the vitriol dissed at him. He had a difficult personal time last season finding his inner happiness and strength, and boy am I glad that he found what he was looking for – wonderful and supportive peers in Balde, Abbot, Weaver and Poje, and great training facilities in Detroit Skating Club. Are you aware he always say ‘hi’ to these people, his girlfriend and DSC (I wonder who Stan is… Patrick always acknowledged him too). And I am also proud that we, his fans, stood by him and believe in him through difficult times.

SGrand, please post the link here. I tried looking for it on CBC but I couldn’t find it. I love these two guys.