Patrick Chan | Page 109 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
I'll buy one tomorrow, Spikey. And inspired by Emdee, I just watched the 4cc again. Evan's face was a study. I followed that up with the 2011 Nationals. It was amazing to have been there. So looking forward to this year's.

Thank you! I think I should buy too.:biggrin:

Oh yes, I watched the 4CC too. Love that Tango Exilados (my first of Patrick's favourite). Then Aranjuez and now Elejie and Vivaldi. I didn't really fancy Patrick's first Vivaldi music cut. Take Five's straight one footed step sequence was jaw dropping. I would have thought it's impossible to generate so much speed and not lost balance on one foot! Here's to Patrick's 2012 Nationals LP - Aranjuez. Love the twizzles towards the end of the program.

emdee

Final Flight
Enjoyed Aranjuez....though havent been there. The gardens are supposed to be spectacular.

I have avoided the phantom but that is my goal today - his Phantom at Nats.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Patrick shows you can always keep artistry in a program. When I heard he as doing the quad I was a bit surprised. Hey, if you can do the quad as easily and consistently as he does, why not? Add the artistry do that, you have a tough skater to beat. Even his "off days" are far from awful. I like that he added the quad as a challenge to himself and not to silence his critics. In some ways, he makes me think of what Sandhu could be if he ever gained consistency. I remember at the 2006 Canadians, Tracy Wilson said Patrick has the work ethic and discipline to match his talents.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Thank you! I think I should buy too.:biggrin:
Take Five's straight one footed step sequence was jaw dropping. .

Checked out this long one foot step sequence, amazed by Patrick again, learned so much from his skating. every skating coach should ask their student to watch Patrick's skating at least one time a day. Also, noticed his upper body is really relaxed! "he got the girl in the end." :laugh:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I came across Katia Gordeeva's Elegie exhibition program on YouTube recently. It is beautiful, as are most of Katia's programs. She really created a mood with it. However, she must have used a different recording than Patrick because her music seemed to have a much faster tempo than Patrick's. I like the slower recording better; it puts me in a trance. Plus, I kept thinking of Patrick while watching Katia. What do you all think of Katia's Elegie?

Katia Gordeeva - Elegie (1997)

Patrick introduced me to Elegie, and for me, he "owns" it now (similar to how Michelle "owns" East of Eden). Whenever I hear Elegie, I think of Patrick's heavenly Ex and SP.

spikydurian

Medalist
^^ G&G were amazing and one of my favourites. Katia is as beautiful as her skating. I like her version of Elegie too. However, in terms of skating skills, I still prefer Chiddy's Elegie to Katia's. Buttle's creation made use of the highs and lows of the music which is reflected in the skating. Katia was a pairs skater so I don't expect her to be able to do what Patrick does. IMO, Elegie is indeed Patrick's best Ex ever. And yes, I prefer the piano too. Thanks for bringing this vid here. Beautiful lady. Now that you reminded me about Michelle's E of E, I am going to watch it again.:)

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Hello, my dear fellow Patrick Ubers!

He arrived in Fukuoka, Japan last night.
This facebook says he was noticed by some people at the airport.
https://www.facebook.com/tvasahifigure?fref=ts

I'm happy to see his usual smile. He doesn't look tired at all even after the long flight.
He must be in good shape.

BTW, Fukuoka is famous for its tasty food and people's hospitality.
I hope he'll enjoy his stay there and have a great performance this weekend.
This time I don't wish him a landslide victory like at the TEB. He should save it for the Olympics;)

spikydurian

Medalist
^^^ Thank you very much Aprilsnowy (alias Japan Bureau) for the update. I was wondering whether Chiddy has flown into Fukuoka. Now he can have a good rest and lots of hot ramen before practice. Couldn't see Kathy Johnson. Is she with him?

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Couldn't see Kathy Johnson. Is she with him?
I heard he was alone. Perhaps he came a day or two earlier than his coach and the Canadian team to get used to the jet-lag.
Now he's really on his own, isn't he?

Spikydurian, I also think he's going to visit famous ramen restaurant in Fukuoka.
Almost every figure skating fan in Japan knows his having a weakness for ramen:biggrin:

spikydurian

Medalist
Spikydurian, I also think he's going to visit famous ramen restaurant in Fukuoka.
Almost every figure skating fan in Japan knows his having a weakness for ramen:biggrin:
Aprilsnowy, not only Patrick loves ramen, my family and I love ramen too. I am going to Kyoto and Osaka in March and I intend to eat as much yummy food as I can (the more local it is, the better it is).

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hello, my dear fellow Patrick Ubers!

He arrived in Fukuoka, Japan last night.
This facebook says he was noticed by some people at the airport.
https://www.facebook.com/tvasahifigure?fref=ts

I'm happy to see his usual smile. He doesn't look tired at all even after the long flight.
He must be in good shape.

BTW, Fukuoka is famous for its tasty food and people's hospitality.
I hope he'll enjoy his stay there and have a great performance this weekend.
This time I don't wish him a landslide victory like at the TEB. He should save it for the Olympics;)
Thanks for the update! I completely agree with your last two sentences. I hope he has good skates at GPF and Nationals but isn't perfect. The Olympics are most important this season. Unless, of course, he can be like Plushenko and skate clean at ALL of his remaining competitions. ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hello to Aprilsnowy. Good to hear from the Japan bureau. Perhaps we will see pictures of Patrick with Kozuka and his other Japanese buddies before the compettions.

I want him to be perfect every single time from now on.

I believe he will skate extremely well for the rest of the season, I.e. winning without controversies aka giving critics and haters no handles, because he seems to have acquired the mental skill to be relaxed and confident. This is his goal for the season, without experimental programs and skating to music he is very comfortable with. We know he usually achieves his goal of the season and now he is putting everything together building up to the Olympics.

I posted elsewhere that I believe Patrick will do very well at the GPF despite his previous showings in Japan because this is an important competition he's well prepared for, not a pre or post season event. I also expect the Japanese skaters to have some outstanding performances spurred on by the supportive home crowds. It will be exciting to see the best doing their best.

Let's all relax with Patrick and send him love and white light.

emdee

Final Flight
SF.... Plenty of white light coming to Patrick.

Kozuka is not in the GPF so he may not meet him. I can see that Hanyu really looks up to him and wants to walk in the footsteps of the master. I dont think this is the year, though, for the chela to overtake the guru. That will be in the next quad. Of course the real question is who will have their moment on Oly ice.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Is ommmm the same as white light?

You ohmmmm to quite your (monkey) mind and centre yourself in the here and now instead of regretting the past or worrying about the future. Space and time don't really exist so staying in the now is the way to enlightenment or at least a way to lighten up. :)

Sending love and white light, including to yourself, is blessing and protecting. It's sort of like doing the Ohmmmming for the person. ;)

BTW, sending your adversaries love is a good way to resolve conflicts. Sneaky, eh?

spikydurian

Medalist
I want him to be perfect every single time from now on.
Me too! My best Xmas present (GPF), my best New Year present (Nationals), my best birthday present (Olympics & Worlds)....:party2:

I will be ready to ohmmmmm.... in around 34 hours time today. Way to go, Patrick!:)