Patrick Chan | Page 110 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Coriana

On the Ice
I doubt if Teka will be doing the juniors, but who knows? Juniors might shorten the wait a little. I have to go to a party Wed. night, with the sole purpose of drinking champers so hope I can stay awake till four; forty or get up at four forty. The problem with the Final is that one can't safely miss any of them.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Here's Han Yan's mention and an astute observation of Patrick in a recent interview as posted on his fan thread:

Q: At TEB, you competed with a couple exceptional skaters, including your idol Patrick Chan. What was in your mind about competing with him during the same competition?

A: Chan has always been my idol and I learned a lot from him. He put on an exceptional performance there. To me, he has changed a lot, not necessarily the progress he has made on the technical side, but the manner he has while on ice. When he first won Worlds a couple years ago, he looked like a young skater, but now his dominance has fully come out.

Just for fun and reminiscence to celebrate the long reign of King Patrick, here is the Sage Of Prince Patrick (post #48) I wrote in 2011. Thankfully we now have this fan thread as the safe house, and the climate has changed as well. With the next Royal Ultimate Dragon Slaying Race coming up soon, I hope to celebrate the coronation of Emperor Chan. ;)

spikydurian

Medalist
I doubt if Teka will be doing the juniors, but who knows? Juniors might shorten the wait a little. I have to go to a party Wed. night, with the sole purpose of drinking champers so hope I can stay awake till four; forty or get up at four forty. The problem with the Final is that one can't safely miss any of them.

23 hours more to go! Champers and party? It wouldn't work for me. During TEB, I went to bed and woke up wee hours of the morning without the alarm clock. Look what an excited mind can do. :laugh:

Skatefiguring said:
just for fun and reminiscence to celebrate the long reign of King Patrick, here is the Sage Of Prince Patrick (post #48) I wrote in 2011. Thankfully we now have this fan thread as the safe house, and the climate has changed as well. With the next Royal Ultimate Dragon Slaying Race coming up soon, I hope to celebrate the coronation of Emperor Chan
Ahha.. indeed SF. The weary battles can only hardened one's resolve. ;)

emdee

Final Flight
SF really enjoyed your allegory...maybe you can send it to Patrick. I know that he will get a laugh out of it!

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
I saw a photo of Patrick while visiting a famous shrine in Fukuoka with Kathy and looking at a written oracle with a smile.

This is another photo posted in some local restaurant's owner's blog.
He said Patrick was surrounded by a crowd (He's now become quite famous in Japan:laugh:) and thanked Patrick for his kindness.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/iwamasablog/archives/35363518.html

Today's Japanese newspaper says though he had a fall, his overall condition didn't look so bad during the official practice.
I'll be so anxious about the result of his SP and definitely in no mood for work tomorrow evening.

emdee

Final Flight
I saw a photo of Patrick while visiting a famous shrine in Fukuoka with Kathy and looking at a written oracle with a smile.

He said Patrick was surrounded by a crowd (He's now become quite famous in Japan:laugh:) and thanked Patrick for his kindness.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/iwamasablog/archives/35363518.html

Today's Japanese newspaper says though he had a fall, his overall condition didn't look so bad during the official practice.
I'll be so anxious about the result of his SP and definitely in no mood for work tomorrow evening.

If he went to the Zen temple then hopefully he was able to use sazen with his teacher and gain enlightenment. It would be the perfect site to calm his body and mind.

Thank you Japanese Bureau!

spikydurian

Medalist
SF really enjoyed your allegory...maybe you can send it to Patrick. I know that he will get a laugh out of it!
Hey..maybe make it into a movie! :laugh:

Aprilsnowy said:
He said Patrick was surrounded by a crowd (He's now become quite famous in Japan) and thanked Patrick for his kindness.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/iwamasablog/.../35363518.html
Thanks April. Is that a famous ramen restaurant? Did he go there with Kathy or with all the Canadian skaters?

Countdown .. eight hours to go. I will leave office on time today since it starts at around 9.00pm my time. April, it's around 4.30pm your time(?) so looks like you either have to leave office early to get snippets of the results from your mobile phone on way home?

Coriana and emdee, set your alarm clock before you go to bed tonight.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Just for fun and reminiscence to celebrate the long reign of King Patrick, here is the Sage Of Prince Patrick (post #48) I wrote in 2011. Thankfully we now have this fan thread as the safe house, and the climate has changed as well. With the next Royal Ultimate Dragon Slaying Race coming up soon, I hope to celebrate the coronation of Emperor Chan. ;)
Oh, that was a delight to read! So much fun and so creative! :love: I wasn't a member of this forum in 2011, so it was new to me. Thanks for linking to it, SF. I too hope that King Patrick is victorious in the next Royal Ultimate Dragon Slaying Race. Then we can all celebrate the coronation of Emperor Chan. :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Oh, that was a delight to read! So much fun and so creative! :love: I wasn't a member of this forum in 2011, so it was new to me. Thanks for linking to it, SF. I too hope that Prince Patrick is victorious in the next Royal Ultimate Dragon Slaying Race. Then we can all celebrate the coronation of Emperor Chan. :biggrin:

Excuse me, but it has been His Royal Highness King Patrick for a while now. ;) In fact, he was duely addressed as King Patrick in a sort of follow-up story by another poster with Plushenko as the main character, the wakening dragon. I'm unable to link to it. I even had to Google to find my original post.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Those were the days.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Excuse me, but it has been His Royal Highness King Patrick for a while now. ;) In fact, he was duely addressed as King Patrick in a sort of follow-up story by another poster with Plushenko as the main character, the wakening dragon. I'm unable to link to it. I even had to Google to find my original post.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Those were the days.
:laugh: Yes, very true. I edited my previous post to reflect that. All hail King Patrick!!! :biggrin:

coppertop1

On the Ice
Patrick is currently in second after the GPF, but no need to panic. Hanyu leads but we know Hanyu is inconsistent, and Chan going before Hanyu could be an advantage. He can throw down the gauntlet.

spikydurian

Medalist
Patrick is currently in second after the GPF, but no need to panic. Hanyu leads but we know Hanyu is inconsistent, and Chan going before Hanyu could be an advantage. He can throw down the gauntlet.

Thanks coppertop for the positive thinking. I am disappointed with his SP but then again, I personally did not expect him to break records again. All I want to see is his positive momentum towards Sochi. Hanyu had a great SP and deserved his marks. Looks like both Patrick and Hanyu are challenging each other to break their SP records.:laugh:

I heard he mentioned in the intervew that his eyes caught the skycam which was too low and close to him hence he was distracted and the slip on the lutz. Never mind, that's part of skating. A lesson learned. ;) A gold would be great but hell silver is fine. :biggrin:

Hey Coriana and Emdee and all.... rememberto ohmmmmm for our boy in evening (my time) and early morning (your time). Ohmmmmmmmmmm

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, now Patrick's fighting spirit can come out. He's chasing instead of being chased for the LP. I'm not a big fan of Yuzuru, but he really had a great skate - his best of the season by far. I am a bit disappointed that he broke Patrick's SP record from TEB, but oh well. I wonder if "home ice inflation" had anything to do with it. Patrick will just have to get 100 at the Olympics now. ;) Patrick had that worried look again when he took the ice (to me anyway). He said something to Kathy about the Sky Cam distracting him during the program? Whatever the reasons for his subpar skate today, I just hope he has a better LP. He certainly didn't have the confident SP that I was expecting. I'm sure the haters will have a ball with this (haven't and won't read any comments though). I'm going to stay in my Chan fest bubble. Best of luck to Patrick in the LP. I have faith. Ohmmmmmm.....

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I heard he mentioned in the intervew that his eyes caught the skycam which was too low and close to him hence he was distracted and the slip on the lutz. Never mind, that's part of skating. A lesson learned. ;) A gold would be great but hell silver is fine. :biggrin:
How interesting. In figure skating, so many variables are in play. That's what makes it so fascinating and amazing to watch. It blows my mind. The stars aligned for Patrick at TEB and I really hope they align again in Sochi. TEB was such a high that I didn't want to come back to earth. This SP brought me back to earth. Silver at GPF is fine. It's never been Patrick's best competition anyway. Sending positive vibes to Patrick and to all of you. :)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am so proud of Patrick for fighting through the GPF LP. The program was rather tight today, but he didn't fall or pop any jumps. Quad double instead of quad triple, but at least he did a combo. The last spin was unfortunate, but it looked like he just got too tired. Both the SP and LP seemed tight at GPF. Patrick isn't injured or ill, is he? When he was walking to the kiss and cry after the LP, it looked like he was in pain and he was sort of leaning on Kathy. I'm a worrier, I know. Patrick is doing so much better overall this season than last season. Let's hope that it continues to go well for him.

Patrick's 2013 GPF SP

Patrick's 2013 GPF LP

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I know, I know, this is my 4th post in a row on this thread. I kind of feel like I'm talking to myself. :laugh: Anyway, I just read a post-GPF article on CBC that has some very good Patrick quotes. I thought they deserved to be brought over here. He is keeping everything in perspective. He's not disappointed with the silver medal.
"I finished the event strong," the Toronto skater said. "There was a lot of good things I did here, and that was regaining my composure and regaining my concentration after a bad short program and putting out a great long that I don't usually do. It's not very Patrick Chan of me."

"Most of the time, I think people know me well that the short program has always saved me ... but I think today was proof that I'm getting better and really becoming a more well-rounded competitor."

"Honestly, I started thinking about my previous performances here in Japan, and I don't really have the best track record," he said. "The last two times I competed here has for the World Team Trophy, and I really haven't skated well at every single one of those in Japan, just because it's at the end of the season."

"Every time I come back to Japan I feel like I relive those moments where I didn't skate my best and those were really tough times. That's why I think I learned a lot today."
:clap: I'm so proud of where Patrick is mentally right now. His newfound mental strength should serve him well going forward. The full article can be found here.

emdee

Final Flight
Just so that you dont have to post 5 times in a row - let me say that I am proud of Patrick as well.
Building blocks in place for the big one and may the best man win on that day!

spikydurian

Medalist
I know, I know, this is my 4th post in a row on this thread. I kind of feel like I'm talking to myself. :laugh: Anyway, I just read a post-GPF article on CBC that has some very good Patrick quotes. I thought they deserved to be brought over here. He is keeping everything in perspective. He's not disappointed with the silver medal.

:clap: I'm so proud of where Patrick is mentally right now. His newfound mental strength should serve him well going forward.

Thanks skatingfan4ever for the article. If not for the skycam snag, he would not have fallen on the lutz. I am confident he is on the right track in training and mentally. Now he has to go back and analyse his LP as to why he didn't fall and still lost to Hanyu who fell in the LP. It's really not the end of the world but good to take note of what is happening. That's competition.

Now I think he can enjoy his 'resting' time in Fukuoka, go back continue training then Christmas and birthday bash and back to serious training after the New Year. Sochi is approaching. Time flies indeed. Many of us who joined this thread because of Patrick will remain so as long as he skates. I will find another hobby when he retires. And Emdee has promised to visit me in Brissie some day ... so Emdee how's zat post 2014?