Patrick Chan | Page 111 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

emdee

Final Flight
I dont know Spiky.
2015 all booked up.
Maybe 2016 your summer our winter?

I still have a lottery ticket for this weeks 50 mill so keep your fingers crossed as we may meet sooner at Nationals! this is what I dreamt anyway - that you and Pani(VM thread) were in Ottawa and that I had to put you on Uniworlds tour in order to get good seats for Nats. So if dreams can come true......

coppertop1

On the Ice
Thanks coppertop for the positive thinking. I am disappointed with his SP but then again, I personally did not expect him to break records again. All I want to see is his positive momentum towards Sochi. Hanyu had a great SP and deserved his marks. Looks like both Patrick and Hanyu are challenging each other to break their SP records.:laugh:

I heard he mentioned in the intervew that his eyes caught the skycam which was too low and close to him hence he was distracted and the slip on the lutz. Never mind, that's part of skating. A lesson learned. ;) A gold would be great but hell silver is fine. :biggrin:

Hey Coriana and Emdee and all.... rememberto ohmmmmm for our boy in evening (my time) and early morning (your time). Ohmmmmmmmmmm

Hey, If Hanyu is challenging Patrick, that's good. A rivalry never hurts. Well, Chan is human and better he does that at the GPF then Olympics, those mistakes would put him out of contention.

I have a feeling Chan will rise up come Sochi.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Patrick for the GPF Silver Medal, in Japan.

I think Patrick learned about curses at this event, such as overcoming the sky cam curse and the Japan curse, as well as curbing his own cursing from now on. :)

I like that he always learns something from every experience.

Spiky, don't cross your eyes for too long!

coppertop1

On the Ice
^^ Well said, and although he wasn't quite on he fought. That says more than when it all goes perfectly. This had to happen, it was a bit too easy. Now he can rebuild. Hanyu was great that one fall aside, and he did have a big lead. Twelve points is tough to overcome. Chan skated very well.

lcd

Match Penalty
GPF is a challenging event for sure. Unique pressures. It matters … it doesn't really matter … it matters … it doesn't really.

He has a solid month to prepare for Nationals and 2 for the Olympics. Not worried.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Eh, it's just a bump. Now some people are picking on his "I'll let Yuzuru win: comment on here, and saying he should think before speaking. Patrick said it in good humour. Yeesh, I'm so over Patrick hate. Can he do anything right?

He'll win Canadians and do great at Olympics. I think the GPF will boost him up.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Eh, it's just a bump. Now some people are picking on his "I'll let Yuzuru win: comment on here, and saying he should think before speaking. Patrick said it in good humour. Yeesh, I'm so over Patrick hate. Can he do anything right?

Ever notice the irrational tunnel visioned critics often known as haters usually exhibit the behaviour they constantly project onto their favorite targets? Many of them are quick to condemn, are rude and delusionally arrogant/cocky. Self censorship or thinking before speaking/posting does not seem to be a valued trait they require of themselves. So , just smile and ignore the energy vampires, online or in RL. Don't let them divert your focus away from facts and Patrick's achievements. There, feel better?

He'll win Canadians and do great at Olympics. I think the GPF will boost him up.

Of course.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Ever notice the irrational tunnel visioned critics often known as haters usually exhibit the behaviour they conctantly project onto their favorite targets? Many of them are quick to condemn, are rude and delusionally arrogant/cocky. Self censorship or thinking before speaking/posting does not seem to be a valued trait they require of themselves. So , just smile and ignore the energy vampires, online or in RL. Don't let them divert your focus away from facts and Patrick's achievements. There, feel better?

Yup. I don't let them get to me all the negativity just gets tiring. Especially since others have also said similar things, or worse. I think it's that Chan is not a "pre-packaged skater" as Weir would say: He says what's on his mind, as opposed to the more correct response.

I think Patrick welcomes the challenge from Hanyu, a friendly rivalry is good for the sport. Plus, there's still room for Sochi. He had to save something for Olympics and not peak too quickly.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I look at it this way. Some people believe he did not deserve one or two of his World titles. Well, EVEN IF he had only won one World title, he would still have been on the Worlds podium for FIVE straight years, which is quite an achievement. What's amazing about Patrick is that even on his off days, he is still good enough to be on the podium (the medal color is debated by some, but never his worthiness for a podium finish). As I've said before, I think the skating community itself respects Patrick as a skater and as a person. It's just fans being armchair judges that like to stir the pot. I would imagine that if any one of them tried to do what Patrick does, their hate would vanish. ;)

As I've also said before, commenting on skaters' media comments seems like overkill to me. Many people don't share my opinion apparently. I prefer to just sit back and enjoy the skating. :)

coppertop1

On the Ice
I look at it this way. Some people believe he did not deserve one or two of his World titles. Well, EVEN IF he had only won one World title, he would still have been on the Worlds podium for FIVE straight years, which is quite an achievement. What's amazing about Patrick is that even on his off days, he is still good enough to be on the podium (the medal color is debated by some, but never his worthiness for a podium finish). As I've said before, I think the skating community itself respects Patrick as a skater and as a person. It's just fans being armchair judges that like to stir the pot. I would imagine that if any one of them tried to do what Patrick does, their hate would vanish. ;)

As I've also said before, commenting on skaters' media comments seems like overkill to me. Many people don't share my opinion apparently. I prefer to just sit back and enjoy the skating. :)

Absolutely. I think the skating community does respect Patrick and for good reason-- HE IS AWESOME!! I have had the privilege of seeing him skate live and you really do see the speed he has, he flies effortlessly across the ice. Those who hate him are jealous of his talent.

IMO, Patrick is the most talented man Canada has ever had, he's such a perfect package.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Absolutely. I think the skating community does respect Patrick and for good reason-- HE IS AWESOME!! I have had the privilege of seeing him skate live and you really do see the speed he has, he flies effortlessly across the ice. Those who hate him are jealous of his talent.

IMO, Patrick is the most talented man Canada has ever had, he's such a perfect package.

ITA:clap:

Almost a week has passed since the GPF.
I have a mixed feeling for the result.

Since Patrick overcame his disappointing SP and his trauma caused by the history that he'd never had a good skate in Japan before, and put out a great LP, I was extremely happy for him.
Not just me, but all of his fans in Japan have been so long wishing to see him get a standing ovation in Japan, for sure.
My fellow fans of Patrick went to the GPF and they were all ecstatic with joy about his incredible LP and receiving a standing ovation from the Japanese crowd.
In most tweets and blogs, forums about figure skating in Japan, Patrick's LP performance and his outstanding skating were much appreciated.

Of course most people in Japan just celebrated Hanyu's first win at the GPF.
But even in this country, some skating fans calmly pointed out his mark (especially his PCS) was too inflated because of his home advantage.
Though he is a very talented young skater with great jumping and other technical skills, I don't think Hanyu's PCS is almost in the same league with Patrick's now.
IMO, the ISU needed another favorite other than Patrick so as to boost this sport’s popularity at the Olympics.

Please know even in Japan, not a few skating fans want Patrick, who's been leading mens' figure skating since the last Olympics, to win in Sochi with two perfect performances.
Such people simply appreciate a great performance by any skater regardless of nationality.
Because of Patrick, every other skater’s had to worked so hard to become an all-round skater, for which such genuine figure skating fans are much thankful to him.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Well said April Snowy. We appreciate your thoughts and sentiments. Patrick put out a best ever performance in Japan which was good to see. I hope it didn't take too much of a toll on him though. I think he really suffers from Jet lag when he travels long distances, more so than others.

spikydurian

Medalist
I see a changed Patrick this season. He is more confident and purposeful in words and deeds. And one can see the steely determination beneath his twinkly eyes. He has spent the last four years working towards Sochi and in his words, a closure to Vancouver (his inability to win a medal as expected of him). His skating has reached the apex of being powerful and elegant. His two programs show cased his skating skills and blade control. He is not consistently called 'the master of the blade' for nothing and years down the road, he will be remembered as such.

For those detractors who argued he doesn't deserve his titles, well, we all can argue till kingdom come who deserves and who deserves not, facts will be facts. All is irrelevant. I can argue that Michelle deserved the gold to Tara (which I never did although Michelle was my favourite then) no one can take away the gold medal hung around Tara's neck. And no one can take away Patrick's golds no matter how much they disagree. Ditto with Lysacek's OGM. And yes, skatingfan, we need more people like us who can enjoy figure skating and what other skaters bring to ice, cheering and worrying for our favourites and leave the judging to the judges. Why spoil our own fun by looking for negativity in everything. Life is too short. God only knows what tomorrow will bring.

So ride on the roller coaster with Patrick. Whee... hold on tight everyone. Say ohmmmmmm

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you Aprilsnowy for your report on the reception of the Japanese fans. Again, our Japan Bureau rocks. :rock:

Japanese fans are so sophisticated and appreciative of the sport. Their support for Patrick is touching especially since he is a major rival to their beloved Japanese skaters. I think a factor of such unfettered appreciation is their more recent fandom so that they have a good understanding and acceptance of the current standard and scoring system under which Japanese skaters have done extremely well thereby popularing the sport in Japan. It is also good that their perception of Patrick is not first poisoned by the English press during 2009 Worlds and especially the 2010 Olympics when they used and spinned a young gullible rising star to generate controversies, and then by fans who felt their favorites had been wronged.

Unbiased and enthusiastic support of the sport and the skaters is indeed heartening.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
SkateFiguring I LOVE the term "energy vampires". Is it original?
This term has been in my consciousness and vocabulary for so long I don't remember how I acquired it. Lately I have come across it more so maybe it will spread, first in the mind/spirits discussions and then on to the general public. Very apt descriptive name for some people, right? They are called trolls online and that's what I meant when I said earlier not to let them feed on you.

Many people, however, drain their own energy by re-living unpleasant experiences and confrontations over and over in their own heads, sometimes continuing an argument for days all by themselves even when such events had only occurred for very short periods of time. Be good to yourselves, my dear Patrick fans.

Hey spiky, what you doin' at such hour?

coppertop1

On the Ice
I see a changed Patrick this season. He is more confident and purposeful in words and deeds. And one can see the steely determination beneath his twinkly eyes. He has spent the last four years working towards Sochi and in his words, a closure to Vancouver (his inability to win a medal as expected of him). His skating has reached the apex of being powerful and elegant. His two programs show cased his skating skills and blade control. He is not consistently called 'the master of the blade' for nothing and years down the road, he will be remembered as such.

For those detractors who argued he doesn't deserve his titles, well, we all can argue till kingdom come who deserves and who deserves not, facts will be facts. All is irrelevant. I can argue that Michelle deserved the gold to Tara (which I never did although Michelle was my favourite then) no one can take away the gold medal hung around Tara's neck. And no one can take away Patrick's golds no matter how much they disagree. Ditto with Lysacek's OGM. And yes, skatingfan, we need more people like us who can enjoy figure skating and what other skaters bring to ice, cheering and worrying for our favourites and leave the judging to the judges. Why spoil our own fun by looking for negativity in everything. Life is too short. God only knows what tomorrow will bring.

So ride on the roller coaster with Patrick. Whee... hold on tight everyone. Say ohmmmmmm

I ride the roller coaster with every skater I root for. Patrick is no exception.

Nice to hear the Japanese so appreciative of him. Japanese culture is about respect and courtesy. They appreciate Patrick's skill even if he is a threat to theirs, just like Canadian fans love the Japanese men. Both countries know their sport and love it. Japan has done well with this system, and part of that is the Japanese have good packages, not just quads. They have strong skating skills, great speed. I think at the 2010 Olympics, there were several reasons why Patrick did not win a medal: He was coming off an injury and wasn't really in peak shape yet, he was still young, only 19 after all, and was shouldering a lot of pressure from a country that had a history of great male skaters (of which Patrick is certainly one, but it wasn't quite his time yet at that point). Did I think he could medal in 2010? Sure. Did I think he was guaranteed a medal? No, because nothing at the Olympics is guaranteed. Never predict/never say never is my philosophy for the Olympics. Nothing is a guarantee.

I agree that it's pointless to bicker because facts are facts. Patrick is a three time World Champion, and for good reason: He is the best in his cycle. With the GPF, he was just a bit off his game, though it was still good, just not his best. I'm fine with Hanyu's win, Hanyu had a big lead, Chan made some costly mistakes in the SP. It's how it goes in any sport. Chan made some little errors in his LP. One fall is not enough to overcome a twelve point lead. I like Hanyu, I hope he does well, but I want Chan to take gold of course, come Sochi.

spikydurian

Medalist
Talking about Vampires, here's one.:laugh:

Skatefiguring said:
Hey spiky, what you doin' at such hour?
We get sunlight at 4.00am because Queensland refused to adopt daylight savings like the southern states! :disapp: Can't sleep.