Patrick Chan | Page 114 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Has this been linked here?

Canadian figure skating star Patrick Chan looks to life after Olympics

It is interesting how one competition can feel so differently from another, as we have seen and heard from different skaters. I guess that's what we mean by stars' alignment but the best competitors find a way to perform well or come back regardless of the situation or the "feel" of each competition. Also, with experiences and deliberate examination of the relation of the feel and the situation, a dedicated competitor can try to replicate the winning feeling. I love reading Patrick's interviews because he is so open that I can usually get get an idea of where his mind is at and what he gets out of each experience. (We can all learn from the super successful though some people choose to "level" them, always making opportunities to tear them down.)

I believe Patrick is quite relaxed about winning these days except for the Olympics. He always mentions a goal for each competition and he's happy to attain it regardless of his placement. Evidently each goal achieved is hopefully a piece of eventually winning the OGM. I hope he is well balanced between determination and over attachment. Eyes on the prize with detachment (relaxed attitude ) is the way to go.

Just remember the message sent to you via the balloon in Vancouver, Patrick. I too believe in you.

I think Patrick will want to at least equal Kurt's number of Worlds title. :)

spikydurian

Medalist
Patrick is very open about his experience, and in fact in sharing that, less experienced skaters can learn from him. Unfortunately, as you said, SF, some people will always choose to find fault at very turn and corner, complaining that he is arrogant. Perhaps Patrick shouldn't share his experience so openly - he should make people pay to listen to him.;)

What balloon in Vancouver? Tell me more, SF. I missed that. :) I am confident that he has learnt from his Vancouver and post experience on how to deal with expectations.

I would love to see him share Kurt's no. of World titles too! I love to watch the COI vid where Kurt, Elvis, Jeff and Patrick skated together. They have 11 World titles altogether. :yay:
And they are all good looking too! :love:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What balloon in Vancouver? Tell me more, SF. I missed that. :) I am confident that he has learnt from his Vancouver and post experience on how to deal with expectations.

Patrick finished 5th at the Vancouver Olympics and he performed at the Gala. (He would have been invited as a rep of the host nation regardless of his placement but pushing Weir to 6th deprived the latter of a gala performance, angering Weir and his fans who wanted the world to see Johnny's Poker Face.) As Patrick was performing his Yesterday, a white balloon with the word "Believe" on it, as there were many such Olympic balloons in the building, started drifting down to the rink, quite dramatic in the dark as caught by the camera. As the commentators exclaimed they had never seen anything like this, it floated slowly toward Patrick. He finished the program, turned around and the the balloon was right in front of him at waist level. He took it with both hands and saluted the audience with a big smile. (There are photos that captured this scene. Somebody or myself may bring it here later.)

I've always thought Mr.Colson and the Universe conspired the coolest way to deliver the message to Patrick.

SGrand

Final Flight
Patrick finished 5th at the Vancouver Olympics and he performed at the Gala. (He would have been invited as a rep of the host nation regardless of his placement but pushing Weir to 6th deprived the latter of a gala performance, angering Weir and his fans who wanted the world to see Johnny's Poker Face.) As Patrick was performing his Yesterday, a white balloon with the word "Believe" on it, as there were many such Olympic balloons in the building, started drifting down to the rink, quite dramatic in the dark as caught by the camera. As the commentators exclaimed they had never seen anything like this, it floated slowly toward Patrick. He finished the program, turned around and the the balloon was right in front of him at waist level. He took it with both hands and saluted the audience with a big smile. (There are photos that captured this scene. Somebody or myself may bring it here later.)

I've always thought Mr.Colson and the Universe conspired the coolest way to deliver the message to Patrick.

I'm such a sucker, that just made me tear up lol. Dammit!!!

spikydurian

Medalist
I'm such a sucker, that just made me tear up lol. Dammit!!!
Count me in .. three.

I find Patrick's relationship with Mr Colson was fascinating - the oldest coach and a young kid. And their temperaments were so different. Here's an old article regarding the revered late Mr Colson. He talked about how coaching made him feel young. I feel sad that he didn't live long enough to see Patrick wins his first silver World medal. He would have been so proud. Oh yes, I think Mr Colson was a good looking man.;)

Thanks SF. Patrick is such a happy person. Despite the disappointing skate, it was great to see him smile and leave those not so happy moments behind him. Love that pix. :)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States

Thanks for sharing that, SF. Is there a video of this online somewhere too? It's the Olympics, so probably not, but I thought I'd ask anyway. We should send Patrick another Believe balloon before Sochi. :)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I just rewatched Patrick's Vancouver programs and, honestly, they weren't as terrible as I remembered them. SP: Stepout on 3A, stumble during footwork. LP: stepout on 3Lz, fall on 3A. In general, the programs were a bit slower and more labored than Patrick has been of late, but really not too bad. He looks SO YOUNG that it's almost unreal. He has certainly grown up before our very eyes.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I found 2 fancam videos. They are not of the same quality of the official one and not so dramatic but you can see Patrick catching the balloon in this one and in this other video you can see the balloon coming from the left at ~1:53 and again at the end though the video didn't show Patrick catching it.

Patrick retrieved this program for the Olympic Gala and I'm sure it was in memory of Mr. Colson. It included some one foot figure work taught by his late coach. David Pelletier called it something like "leg burner" though I can't recall exactly.

It was good to see that the balloon did bring a big smile from Patrick after the very disappointing Olympic competition result. He later expressed that he did enjoy the Olympic experience itself very much.

Sending Patrick Believe Balloons is a great idea.

spikydurian

Medalist
He has certainly grown up before our very eyes.
I agree skatingfan. Time flies. Here's a pix of Patrick and I think he was only 18yo then. It was taken from a blog written in 2010 - Hot Male Athletes of Vancouver::)

Seeing as I clearly have a thing for cute Chinese men, I can't write this entry without a shout out to our very own Patrick Chan who sort of resembles Astro Boy. He might also be the nicest person on the planet. And he'll be our golden boy in 2014!

It's funny that this blogger compared him to Astro Boy. :laugh: He's certainly not a boy anymore but an attractive man now. ;)

Skatefiguring said:
Patrick retrieved this program for the Olympic Gala and I'm sure it was in memory of Mr. Colson. It included some one foot figure work taught by his late coach
He was doing figures, right?

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Merry Christmas and a blessed new year to all Patrick fans. :hb:

Patrick says he will still be training over the holidays but I hope he will take time off to celebrate the joyous and giving mood of Christmas and most of all, celebrate his 23rd birthday. May Patrick's wish come true in the new year.
:agree: That video is SO ADORABLE! Thanks Spiky! :biggrin:

He was doing figures, right?
I think so, but I don't know for sure. Speaking of figures, I recall reading somewhere that all the young Japanese skaters are still taught figures. Is that true?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Wow, that yesterday EX was amazing, this is my first time saw that EX, the figures Patrick did on one foot is incredible and that balloon in the end was just perfect. After I watched this yesterday EX, I was linked to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTJT8GsihJQ. OMG, his jump landing back then is so effortless and the feel of his skating is like his costume, velvety, silky...

emdee

Final Flight
Wow, that yesterday EX was amazing, this is my first time saw that EX, the figures Patrick did on one foot is incredible and that balloon in the end was just perfect. After I watched this yesterday EX, I was linked to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTJT8GsihJQ. OMG, his jump landing back then is so effortless and the feel of his skating is like his costume, velvety, silky...

This is why people thought he would win the Olys. He didn't have a secure quad but otherwise.....wow.
Also of course his sickness and injury set him back. We also got the swine flu so we know how debilitating it was.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Here's Patrick's Yesterday Ex performed at 2008 Canadian Nationals. It's not a fancam, so you can see Patrick's genius even more clearly here. Absolutely heavenly!

2008 Canadian Nationals Ex - Yesterday

And, my goodness, THANK YOU for posting the link you did. I had forgotten about the Time to Say Goodbye Ex, and that time he even landed all the jumps! So beautiful that I was almost in tears. The feeling I get whenever Patrick skates is unmistakable. Whatever others may say about him being emotionless on the ice, he moves me EVERY SINGLE TIME. I wouldn't care if he fell on every jump - the SKATING would still be worth watching. Well, in Sochi he needs to land and rotate everything, but that's another story. ;)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Thank you for this close-up video of Yesterday. I really need to watch Patrick skating more and learn SKATING from him! I wish Patrick good luck in Nationals and Sochi.:)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you for this close-up video of Yesterday. I really need to watch Patrick skating more and learn SKATING from him! I wish Patrick good luck in Nationals and Sochi.:)
You are very welcome! :biggrin: Glad to do it. Plus, it gave me an excuse to watch it again. I just can't believe how amazingly good Patrick was at such a tender age. It still blows my mind.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
We were discussing here recently what Patrick's career goals might be when his competitive skating days are over. He mentions several possibilities in this interview (which was done shortly after 2013 Worlds, but I just discovered it a few days ago). His dream come true would be to "have a skating school where I look after the skater completely." (This would include on-ice and off-ice training, how to deal with the media, injury recovery and prevention, proper nutrition, etc). The very thought of that makes me happy. :love:

BTW, here is Patrick's speech that was discussed in the interview. I would describe it as "very Patrick." Patrick's Speech at 2013 Bodwell High School Graduation

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick has mentioned his aspiration of opening a school of holistic figure skating training before so it's not just a whim. It will synchronize his talents, experiences, his oft stated desire to give back to the sport and mentoring the next generation of Canadian skaters, and business studies which he has long considered.

But, first thing first. ;)