Patrick Chan | Page 117 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

emdee

Final Flight
To all you newbies coming out of the woodwork.....please remember this is a fan fest. Many other places on the board to be snide and nasty to patrick.

May patrick have the skate he wants at the Olympics .....that is all I wish for him.

Coriana

On the Ice
To all you newbies coming out of the woodwork.....please remember this is a fan fest. Many other places on the board to be snide and nasty to patrick.

May patrick have the skate he wants at the Olympics .....that is all I wish for him.

Seconded.

allskatefan

Spectator
I guess I'm a "newbie coming out of the woodwork" but I don't think anyone has made snide or nasty remarks about Patrick. Wow, I've been following this thread for a few months now and haven't felt compelled to put in my two-cents until now. I must say you are all pretty serious Patrick fans - very loyal and thoughtful and some almost bordering on stalking! :) Some of you speak as intimates of Patrick and sound like you live inside his head (yes you, spikydurian!) - perhaps you can explain to the rest of us where his head's been at the past two years.

We Canadian fans who have been following Patrick for many years have noticed that his skating skills of late are not as sharp as they were just two seasons ago - this decline coincides with his parting from Christy Krall. He was undefeated while he was in Colorado Springs but has not had such a good record since being in Detroit and going with a solo coach. I've spoken to many skating/Patrick fans and it's quite unanimous that he needs to retool his arsenal with some top coaches. His current coach knows dance moves but next to nothing about jumps and skating techniques. spikydurian should refrain from continuously praising Patrick and defending his many flawed performances of the past two years - false praise leads to false confidence. He would be much better prepared for Sochi if he had a top jump coach as well as a knowledgeable mentor. Oh, how I long for the days when Christy Krall was in his corner. Christy Krall was at the Canadian Nationals in Ottawa as the main coach of Liam Furius who skated just beautifully with solid techniques all round. Christy was Chan's former until she resigned after the 2012 Worlds for refusing to take crap from a non skating coach - why did the Chans and SkateCanada allow this to happen! It is very sad that our collective Canadian dream to take the Olympic Gold is in real jeopardy now if Patrick skates like he did at Nationals (with five major errors!). We loyal Canadian fans hope that Patrick wakes up and gets the technical help he needs before it is too late...we still have faith in him and wish him all the very best.

Coriana

On the Ice
If he skates as he did at TEB - with Kathy at his side, he'd be all right though, wouldn't he? Not every Canadian fan sees a decline in the quality of Patrick's skating- and while Liam skated beautifully as you say, Ms. Krall hasn't helped his jumps yet. I would have thought that the new world record in LP and total would have laid some doubts to rest. Hanyu has risen to a fantastic level and may well challenge Patrick, but no one else has come close this year. As for where Patrick's head is, surely even the most casual observer can see that he is happier and in a better state of mind now that he's away from Colorado. I'm relieved to see him with Ms. Johnson, and he seems to be thriving. Those bad skates you refer to were no where near as bad as Hanyu's bad ones at Skate Canada and TEB, or Javi's, or Dai's, or Dennis so far, though we'll get a better sense next week. As Patrick himself said recently, never count these guys out. Also- while I love for Canada to do well at the Olys, I want Patrick to triumph for his own sake.

Fujiapple

Spectator
I thank emdee for regarding me as a cool style person. I used to get teased about my accessible to pity character from my friends.

I don’t want be treated as a ‘Newbie’. I have watched the figure skating competitions for a long time in the ‘Yoyogi’ arena.

If here isn’t a place for talking about Patrick Chan’s issues, where do I need to go? Patrick Chan’s issues have died out without much response on the Japan figure skating internet community. He is really the target for an attack. Please consider my situation regularly watching his competition and ice show and wishing for the his victory under unfavorable conditions. :cry:

The player's private life is just secondary entertainment for me. But the first condition for that is NEVER to have a bad effect on the player's performance. :eek:hwell:

Lately gossip flows out too much from various quarters. And they are always materials for criticizing Patrick. It is due to Patrick’s poor performance. And K.J is implicated in his poor performance because she is his coach. :scowl:

The coach is considered not employee for the figure skating but a teacher and more in Japan. In other words, a coach is a teacher and strategist for her/his student. The influence of parents and coaches is almost equal in Japan. So the virtues of a good coach include upright character and an exclusive ability of figure skating. Because this good coach is rare, it is a matter of cardinal importance to meet a good coach. I hoped Patrick to meet a good coach as Osborne Colson. To tell the truth, I still hope it. I have not yet seen upright character and an exclusive ability of figure skating of K.J. :scratch:

K.J. need to be satisfied of her multidisciplinary coaching capability for agitated Patrick’s fans from now on. If she and Patrick need the technical help, they must ask experts from each field for help. Only 19 days remain until Sochi Olympics.

P.S. Dose Patrick want to be ‘mukoyoushi’??? Really??? :jaw:

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not an expert either, but Patrick seems steady through his entire program now instead of tripping up on his jumps. He can make his jumps and transition in and out of them without loosing speed. Perhaps he isn't gliding as smoothly or edge isn't as deep ( i really can't tell...), but the way he handles his body makes his skating look much smoother. Patrick not winning as much or not being perfect may be due to competition from below : Yuzuru Hanyu, Daisuke Takahashi, Javier Fernandez and so on

Coriana

On the Ice
I

I don’t want be treated as a ‘Newbie’. I have watched the figure skating competitions for a long time in the ‘Yoyogi’ arena.

If here isn’t a place for talking about Patrick Chan’s issues, where do I need to go?

I believe that the poster referring to you as a "Newbie" meant that you are new to this particular forum,so please don't take offense. As to where to go to discuss Patrick's issues, try any thread that has Patrick's name or Men's Figure Skating that is not in "Fan Fest". There are pages and pages accumulated on the subject of his coaching situation, on his controversial wins, and his tendency to blurt things out, and the short comings of Ms. Johnson. . You'll find lots of people who share your opinion. But this particular thread has become a place of refuge for those who are weary of all that, have learned to appreciate what KJ has done for him, and want to celebrate his wonderful skating and the joy it brings us. Of course, you have the absolute right to post here, and spoil our fun if that's what you really want. If it is, may I extend a hearty welcome to my "ignore" list?.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Every skater has peaks and valleys, so to speak. I'm not worried about him, I'd rather he save his best for the Olympics. Go Patrick!

Coriana

On the Ice
Really folks, the valleys this year haven't been all that deep, while the mountains have been very high indeed. . Go Patrick!.

emdee

Final Flight
I guess I'm a "newbie coming out of the woodwork" but I don't think anyone has made snide or nasty remarks about Patrick. Wow, I've been following this thread for a few months now and haven't felt compelled to put in my two-cents until now. I must say you are all pretty serious Patrick fans - very loyal and thoughtful and some almost bordering on stalking! :) Some of you speak as intimates of Patrick and sound like you live inside his head (yes you, spikydurian!) - perhaps you can explain to the rest of us where his head's been at the past two years.

We Canadian fans who have been following Patrick for many years have noticed that his skating skills of late are not as sharp as they were just two seasons ago - this decline coincides with his parting from Christy Krall. He was undefeated while he was in Colorado Springs but has not had such a good record since being in Detroit and going with a solo coach. I've spoken to many skating/Patrick fans and it's quite unanimous that he needs to retool his arsenal with some top coaches. His current coach knows dance moves but next to nothing about jumps and skating techniques. spikydurian should refrain from continuously praising Patrick and defending his many flawed performances of the past two years - false praise leads to false confidence. He would be much better prepared for Sochi if he had a top jump coach as well as a knowledgeable mentor. Oh, how I long for the days when Christy Krall was in his corner. Christy Krall was at the Canadian Nationals in Ottawa as the main coach of Liam Furius who skated just beautifully with solid techniques all round. Christy was Chan's former until she resigned after the 2012 Worlds for refusing to take crap from a non skating coach - why did the Chans and SkateCanada allow this to happen! It is very sad that our collective Canadian dream to take the Olympic Gold is in real jeopardy now if Patrick skates like he did at Nationals (with five major errors!). We loyal Canadian fans hope that Patrick wakes up and gets the technical help he needs before it is too late...we still have faith in him and wish him all the very best.

Thanks for your opinion but it is just that an opinion.
Christy decided that she didn't want to be on Patrick's team and not the other way around. She made him a head case in Nice.
Regarding Liam, if you have watched him over the years like some of us have he only lacked the triple axel which he bombed at Nats. I presume you were in Ottawa like the rest of us watching this happen.
Besides, I don't recall Kralls US protégés doing all that well. She rose to fame on Patrick's talent....

Patrick needed to do what was best for him and if what he has done is best for him so be it. I for one will support him whatever the outcome just as I supported Kurt during his Olys.

If your opinion was so strong why didn't you tell team chan this or skate canada or Michael Slipchuk. If you had supported him financially you would have been able to call the shots. He could have probably used another $100,000 dollars in funding to bring canada the gold. Since I haven't funded him other than a few $ I have to have faith in his abilities and his decisions. Where were your $ when he needed them....I ask you.

I guess your definition of snide and mine is very different.

emdee

Final Flight
I thank emdee for regarding me as a cool style person. I used to get teased about my accessible to pity character from my friends.

If here isn’t a place for talking about Patrick Chan’s issues, where do I need to go? Patrick Chan’s issues have died out without much response on the Japan figure skating internet community. He is really the target for an attack. Please consider my situation regularly watching his competition and ice show and wishing for the his victory under unfavorable conditions. :cry:

The player's private life is just secondary entertainment for me. But the first condition for that is NEVER to have a bad effect on the player's performance. :eek:hwell:

Lately gossip flows out too much from various quarters. And they are always materials for criticizing Patrick. It is due to Patrick’s poor performance. And K.J is implicated in his poor performance because she is his coach. :scowl:

The coach is considered not employee for the figure skating but a teacher and more in Japan. In other words, a coach is a teacher and strategist for her/his student. The influence of parents and coaches is almost equal in Japan. So the virtues of a good coach include upright character and an exclusive ability of figure skating. Because this good coach is rare, it is a matter of cardinal importance to meet a good coach. I hoped Patrick to meet a good coach as Osborne Colson. To tell the truth, I still hope it. I have not yet seen upright character and an exclusive ability of figure skating of K.J. :scratch:

K.J. need to be satisfied of her multidisciplinary coaching capability for agitated Patrick’s fans from now on. If she and Patrick need the technical help, they must ask experts from each field for help. Only 19 days remain until Sochi Olympics.

P.S. Dose Patrick want to be ‘mukoyoushi’??? Really??? :jaw:

Actually I thought you were uncool!
However, I didn't state you were a newbie to skating but to the board.
It's great to us to see that Patrick has a fan base in japan.

What I think you have to consider here more than ever is cultural differences.
In DSC patrick will have plenty of multi disciplinary influences. For example he went go carting with Scott and went for the TIFF with Tessa. I believe that overall happiness will be the best medicine for him. Skating with elladj and Jeremy have also brought joy back in his life.

A coach here should be a teacher and should inspire. Patrick's classes in balance have much improved that component this year. A coach who regulates and controls may be acceptable in some countries but Patrick's free spirit would likely feel in a box.

Agitation is not good for your blood pressure so in the words of the song that Patrick skated to.......don't worry be happy!

emdee

Final Flight
Every skater has peaks and valleys, so to speak. I'm not worried about him, I'd rather he save his best for the Olympics. Go Patrick!

Exactly. What was the point in pushing himself at Nats when he knew he was on the team.....go patrick.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
A couple of days ago, I posted here about the benefits that came because Mr. Colson had Patrick learn and practice figures (post #2307 on page 154). Does anyone have comments to make about the quote from Scott Hamilton? (I ask this only in an attempt to lighten the mood; if no one responds, that's fine, though I am curious). Hugs to all of my fellow Patrick fans as we await Sochi. Go Patrick!!! :biggrin:

SGrand

Final Flight
A couple of days ago, I posted here about the benefits that came because Mr. Colson had Patrick learn and practice figures (post #2307 on page 155). Does anyone have comments to make about the quote from Scott Hamilton? (I ask this only in an attempt to lighten the mood; if no one responds, that's fine, though I am curious). Hugs to all of my fellow Patrick fans as we await Sochi. Go Patrick!!! :biggrin:

I am by no means a figure skater, but figures seem like the fundamentals of skating (duh! lol) and one would assume that you would need them and they would come in quite handy with regards to the rest of ones skating. It's like dance, when you do competitive dance, you have NO choice but to do ballet as it teaches you the fundamentals of dance that will then transfer into your contemporary, jazz, hip-hop, tap, modern etc. Doesn't matter if you hate ballet or find it boring (as I did), you had to take it, no question about it, as it teaches you muscle ability and proper body position (the list goes on) and this, like what Scott is talking about with figures, can also help with staving off injury. It is very apparent when dancers have not taken ballet (and are performing other forms of dance) so I would have to think that PC is definitely a skater's-skater for the reason that skaters can see his obvious mastery, something that may not always translate to regular viewers.

I usually have only heard Scott (and Sandra) say pretty favourable things about Patrick, especially when it comes to his skating skills :)

emdee

Final Flight
A couple of days ago, I posted here about the benefits that came because Mr. Colson had Patrick learn and practice figures (post #2307 on page 155). Does anyone have comments to make about the quote from Scott Hamilton? (I ask this only in an attempt to lighten the mood; if no one responds, that's fine, though I am curious). Hugs to all of my fellow Patrick fans as we await Sochi. Go Patrick!!! :biggrin:
Thanks I need a breather.....ohmmm....ohmm where is guru when we need her! She has been off this board for a while.

Patrick is the skater who is the exception to Scott's comment.
That is what is so special about him.
At Nats I met this lady from Italy who was never a Patrick fan. When she saw him at TEB she said she was totally converted. She said his blades don't even seem to touch the ice but float above it. All those little twists and turns he does and can do are because of his command of the blade. He can stop his blade on a dime. Kozuka has a lovely lightness on the ice but I don't think he has patty's command or power. The reason why Kathy has been so good for him is because IMO she has given him the softness which is combined with the power. This gives him the complete package.
I also hope that he went to a jump coach and I am sure he did. This year his Axel has been good in more outings than before.

I applauded that he abandoned his jumps when he was running out of room. Better that than get injured. I remember when he flew into the boards at Quebec GPF.

emdee

Final Flight
Patrick has always been a skaters skater. I read somewhere that Hanyu missed an entire warm up because he was so enthralled by Patrick's skating.

waterblades

On the Ice
I wasn't really a fan of Patrick's until last year at worlds live. Then i understood, his speed, his edges the sounds his blades make. Those blades sure are special not scratchy like some skates, almost like music.

emdee

Final Flight
I wasn't really a fan of Patrick's until last year at worlds live. Then i understood, his speed, his edges the sounds his blades make. Those blades sure are special not scratchy like some skates, almost like music.

The music of his blades....they are a sweet sound indeed!

The short at worlds was wonderful, wasn't it.
I heard that his practice there was so good that they gave him a standing ovation.