Patrick Chan | Page 118 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

coppertop1

On the Ice
Exactly. What was the point in pushing himself at Nats when he knew he was on the team.....go patrick.

Exactly. He was a lock, the world champion and the class of the field by far, there. He can afford a bad skate, though we'd prefer he'd be perfect (and so would he!), no one is perfect all the time. Mistakes like he made in the SP at Canadians? Won't hurt him, he's so far ahead. That skate in Sochi? He's out of the medals, even the top ten probably. And I agree the valleys aren't all that deep: ONE DEFEAT all season. One. Hardly reason to panic.

Patrick is definitely a skater's skater, he'd do well under any system, but he shows how this system rewards quality. Watch him live, his speed is effortless. Just a few strokes and he's across the ice. Wonderful.

spikydurian

Medalist
A couple of days ago, I posted here about the benefits that came because Mr. Colson had Patrick learn and practice figures (post #2307 on page 155). Does anyone have comments to make about the quote from Scott Hamilton? (I ask this only in an attempt to lighten the mood; if no one responds, that's fine, though I am curious).

Sorry skatingfan4ever. I was busy watching Europeans and getting tired from lack of sleep. :biggrin: Here are my thoughts in relation to figures.

I do not know skating but the impression I get based on all the interviews and this one, was that Mr Colson taught Patrick the 'basics' below allowing him to learn jumps. In a very recent interview, Patrick talked about Colson wanting him to learn all sorts of tricks with the blade without losing speed. I would assume that figures is the key to skating skills because it teaches one to do the various moves with precision as per your Hamilton's comments, skatingfan. I enjoy watching figures and am always in awe of the patterns created on ice. SGrand's comparison of learning figures to learning ballet as a basic in order to be a good versatile dancer makes sense to me. Everything has basics isn't it? If we cannot master the basics, it is unlikely one can progress. I also get the impression from coaches' comments that children nowadays have little patience for figures. Most prefer to learn to run before they learn to walk.

Mr Colson belonged to the very old school of thought where fundamentals are most important. He taught Patrick everything. I was watching an old vid of Patrick where Hamilton commented that Patrick was doing something with his blade (can't remember the name) where no one does anymore. I think the problem with modern society is that we want fast rewards. The naked and untrained eyes prefer big tricks like jumping and spinning. That catches the eyes of the casual viewers but only the skaters themselves know the supposedly easiest may be the hardest - the speed and bladework, and how hard it is to master the blade. IMO, the best test to one's skills is recognition from one's peers. I think I have come across many interviews where there were praise and awe of Patrick's blade skills directly or indirectly from his peers.

I will feel sad the day he decides to retire. I just hope he passes on his skills to the younger generation just like Mr Colson passed all his skills and experience onto Patrick. Patrick has time and again declare that without Colson, he won't be skating the way he does. A great master, a brilliant student.

waterblades

On the Ice
The music of his blades....they are a sweet sound indeed!

The short at worlds was wonderful, wasn't it.
I heard that his practice there was so good that they gave him a standing ovation.

They sure did! Fingers crossed, it is the same in Russia for the SP, and a perfect skate for the LP!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wow. Guru SF was off the "puter for a couple of days and all the newbies came out of the woodwork. I appreciate that concerns for Patrick (and/or the OGM for Canada) has induced so many to come out of lurking. Welcome all, be you the worry wart, the cheer leader, the Jewish mother, the nervous nelly, the rink-side critic, Patrick's secret coach, or even a double agent! :) Welcome to the fest, one and all! FYI, on this thread, besides stalking and analyzing Patrick, we do two things regularly. We celebrate and we ohmmmmmm. ;)

Patrick has been discussed and criticized to death in various threads which I don't participate so much anymore as I like to let the facts do the talking. However, facts are often ignored or distorted and occasionally I do bring them as reminders, such as post #40 on this page.

I also like to look at the big picture. Yes competition is more intense now partly because Patrick has raised the bar and partly because of young new talents rising rapidly. As well, scoring has become more generous and records are being broken regularly even with flawed programs. But all in all, who has the best skating skills in the world, most dependable quads, best performance and execution with the most difficult programs, and very importantly, the most winning experiences?

Everyone here has declared themselves as a Patrick fan with accompanying emotions for and about him. However, some of the feelings are counter productive and even unfair. I thank Patrick for bringing me and many people joy and pride and wish the OGM for him and for Canada. He has put it upon himself along with many fans and Canadians to do just that. That is a big pressure but he does not owe anybody the OGM. With or without that piece of hardware, he has done so much for the sport and for his country. Let's not forget that.

Is Patrick a better skater now than when he and Krall parted way? Difficulties arose before Krall's surprise resignation and Patrick was depressed and contemplating quitting before Nice Worlds. Does anybody really believe that situation would have been good for his skating and competitions? He continued to dominate the sport and became the first 3-time World Champion under the new system under which a repeat champion has been very rare. He had answered the critics with the most successful quads since Vancouver and he answered the critics again with sublime artistry while doing the most technically challenging programs in the World. I am glad Patrick is able to stay with the big picture and stick with his long term plan for the OGM. He suffered set backs and criticisms when he first acquired the quads, then when he focused on the artistry and performance. This is the season he is focusing on the mental aspect and we saw the brilliance when he put everything together at TEB.

Patrick can't stop the criticism however intentioned. He was condemned for falling when he always went all out for all the jumps. This season he went completely clean but now the criticisms are on the occasional popped jumps as if he's lost whichever jump he happens to not have done perfectly.

So I just do what Patrick should do, which is ignore all the complaints, criticisms, advice, etc. Stick with what you know that works for you, Patrick, and believe you can put it all together better than anybody else at Sochi.

As for fans who can't hold on to the belief, here are two things for you to remember:

1. All the other skaters have their own difficulties and the Olympic nerves. Most contenders don't even have any Olympic experience, at least not as contenders.

2. Ohmmmmmm.

emdee

Final Flight
Welcome back SF.
Spiky , Coriana and myself have been ohmmm-ing on a regular basis.
Keep the faith.
Go patrick!

spikydurian

Medalist
This is bizarre. I was thinking of you, SF and wanting to PM you. You read my mind ... or felt my energy. I know you won't desert us and Patrick. :)

Ravensque

On the Ice
Yes, looking forward to hearing Patrick make beautiful music with his blades in Sochi. I was listening very closely at Nats. :).......yes: Ohmmmmmm!!!!

Fujiapple

Spectator
Thank skatingfan4ever for calling the forgotten thing to mind. Patrick was a potential boy of talent and had developed due to Mr. Colson appreciated his talent coached him. So I really appreciate Mr. Colson coaching Patrick. The Compulsory is the basis of all figure skating skills. I know Patrick had practiced the compulsory skating since baby skater consistently. I hope he keeps practicing it. The basic thing is the best solution to the difficult problem sometimes.

I love Patrick's skating top and bottom. His skating wasn't eclipsed despite he fell 4 times in 2013 Japan Open and 4 times in 2013 WTT. I was there. I can I sincerely hope last sluggish competition content is a passing phase. He has brilliant skating skills and gorgeous jumps. Nevertheless if he climbs a top of Olympic podium, I will be so much sad that I can't even eat and sleep. :cry:

Don't be afraid of the comment. A constructive criticism could be a good stepping stone for this thread and Patrick Chan. I can post because of a fan thread. If I posted in the common men skater thread, Patrick Chan isn't a subject of reference. If he came up in conversation, he is afflicted by haters. Do you really want it??

Since I watched the European Championships, I can't seem to concentrate. Just to see their skating and crazy score is perhaps causative of my big stress. Europe and Russia manifest insatiable desires expectably.:unsure:

Ilia Kulik won an gold medal in his first Olympic games. His world place in the previous year is 5th. And the then favorite was Canada‘s Elvis Stojko. Do you think canada has no gold in men's figure skating because no one really stands out among Canadian skaters???? There are too many too many variables in Olympic games. So, Patrick and his coach (but I prefer the coaching team) must get everything in readiness. I hope they make thorough preparations for Olympics.

The newest Hanyu's News for emdee~!!!
- Hanyu valuated Patrick Chan's skating is great but it's a commonplace style in North America.
- "Every skater has different skating type. Patrick Chan skates using the big power. Kozuka skates using the pure edge works. Daisuke's skating is very smooth and soft. I hope to skate like Daisuke's style." said Hanyu after TEB.
- Hanyu often said it's precious experience that he beat Patrick Chan in the GPF in the media recently.
I think you need to update on the quotation person's informations.

emdee

Final Flight
With all the bad apples around I am going to have to Ohmmmmm more than usual.
Actually on the subject I really enjoy the Ambrosia - new variety of non acidic apple.

Counting the days!

emdee

Final Flight
Spiky I adore Custard Apples but dont get them a lot here. Custard Apple icecream is fabulous
Will I get them in Malaysia/indonesia?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I try to enjoy crabby appleton pie with sour grape wine when I have to. I think they are good for one's constitution.

emdee

Final Flight
I try to enjoy crabby appleton pie with sour grape wine when I have to. I think they are good for one's constitution.

So Guru, is that Appleton Rum you have in your pie! That would be good for your constitution.....

Plenty of sour grapes around for all though I hope some would just stay in the woodwork.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fujiapple

Spectator
What's the matter with Kevin Reynolds????
I watched a FUBAB post in my national figure skating community.
The post is contained Patrick will compete in all the team event.
Is it a rumour or the truth???? Is it really true?????
If it is true, I will be deep in bigger apprehension than before.
Please say to me “No” :bow: