Patrick Chan | Page 119 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
Spiky I adore Custard Apples but dont get them a lot here. Custard Apple icecream is fabulous
Will I get them in Malaysia/indonesia?
You sure can Emdee. Custard Apple juice served with crushed ice is refreshing. I prefer custard apple any time because you get what you see. Some apples have rotten cores which may not be apparent until one takes a bite. I have emailed you the list of 'must eat' including restaurants for your next holiday. Go where the locals love to go and you won't be wrong. The last time we were in Seoul, we roamed the little streets and settled for restaurants filled with locals. Will do so when in Japan - yum.. looking forward to hot delicious ramen and cherry blossoms.

spikydurian

Medalist
^^ Thank you os168. Yes, indeed, that's Patrick being Patrick. I think Zijun is too sweet as 'girl in black'.:laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What's the matter with Kevin Reynolds????
I watched a FUBAB post in my national figure skating community.
The post is contained Patrick will compete in all the team event.
Is it a rumour or the truth???? Is it really true?????
If it is true, I will be deep in bigger apprehension than before.
Please say to me “No” :bow:

Patrick looks forward to skate at the Team Event. It will give him some real ice experience at Sochi before the individual event as well as a chance for another medal. It's all good. When apprehensive, take a deep breath and hum Ohmmmmmm. :)

I appreciate and welcome lurkers coming out of the woodwork. All Patrick fans are welcomed here regardless of their other affinities. However, Please understand this thread was originally created as a gift from an admin as a refuge for Patrick fans who faced Chan bashing almost every time Patrick was "discussed". Please read also the note "please read before posting" from the board owner on the Fan Fest page. Though many Patrick fans have had concerns about issues raised by some the thread and board newbies here, such criticisms have been hostilely brought up so many times at various threads by non fans that regular posters here may be quite sensitive and not view them positively on this thread. So please, I plead for both old and new posters here to be considerate and more understanding of where everyone is coming from. There is also a local language and culture on this thread ;) that newbies may not be accustomed to. I deplore how some of us were treated at other fan threads so it would be good for us to be more considerate and tolerant. Let's not be crabby appletons here. That's why we ohmmmmm.

Namaste and peace to all.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Coca Cola highlight on Canadian Olympians - Patrick.
Thanks for posting that Spiky! Here's another one that's longer. I didn't know Patrick's dad was a table tennis champion. I will be forever grateful that his mom never reminded him about the hockey part. ;) Apparently he had "absolutely no technique" when he was younger and just skated for the fun of it and was a free spirit on the ice. Now he's a free spirit with good technique! :laugh:

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks skatingfan for the longer Coca Cola version vid. Both of Patrick's parents were good athletes, I recall. I recalled reading somewhere that Mum Chan used to coach tennis and skiing. Patrick has his parent's athletic genes.:)

Have you watched the interview Patrick did a couple of years ago when he visited China? It was quite an in-depth interview. It should be somewhere on this thread.

Coriana

On the Ice
Spikey,OMG, remember the trouble that one got Patrick into? The newspaper (I think the Globe) published it on the eve of Skate Canada International, with the headline Patrick wants to skate for China. The article was innocuous, but the headline was malicious. At the event, Patrick said he was afraid to appear, afraid he'd be booed. However the audience, who had clearly read the paper, gave him thunderous applause the moment he set foot on the ice, before even his name was announced. A most obnoxious mountain of an American woman sitting next to me, who had not read the paper, leaned down and said. "Oh, you Canadians are so cute, you clap for a skater before he even skates". I had to change seats before long.

spikydurian

Medalist
^^ Of course, Coriana. It was a tough lesson for Patrick. That willful misinterpretation of the interview calculated to hurt and destabilise him. Time and again, some press continuously proved how unethical, unprofessional and damaging they could be. It is sad because when such perceptions persist, there will be no trust for fair and factual reporting. Zero respect.

It was heart warming to see the support from the audience despite the negative connotation from the article. It just shows how gracious and understanding Canadians are to their athletes I see this at Vancouver too when Patrick failed to win any medals. Coriana, Patrick's grateful feelings toward the audience is obvious. It is in his face and gestures. And I am pleased that Patrick handled it very well. He didn't run away but faced the press to answer all questions.

Coriana

On the Ice
To me, the most striking thing about this incident was that the editorial decisions of the paper, not the reporter, who was treated almost as badly as Patrick. (He apologised to Patrick for the use that had been made of his article) The editors made two very nasty decisions- 1. to distort the both reporter's and Patrick's words by a negative and misleading headline, 2. to hold the article for months until the eve of Patrick's skate .Unfortunately a lot of people only read the headlines, and others are influenced to read articles with bias because of them. It's tabloid journalism, and I was shocked when that particular paper resorted to such tactics. I'm no fan of Princess Michael, but the article in the royalty thread plays the same nasty trick on her, but that paper is a tabloid, and people expect that kind of malice from it.
I'm more or less used to this sort of "playing gotcha" with politicians, but it was a horrible thing to do to a young athlete. Patrick actually said that he would become a little more guarded, but would continue to be himself and say what he meant. I love that we don't get packaged, PR approved responses from him, even though it sometimes leads to criticism.

emdee

Final Flight
The article came from reuters and historically those journalists are situated in india where they have access to various interviews and then put their own spin. The problem was that decent papers chose to print the article instead of ignoring it as it was by hacks.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Have you watched the interview Patrick did a couple of years ago when he visited China? It was quite an in-depth interview. It should be somewhere on this thread.
Yes, I have. It was actually one of the more enjoyable interviews with Patrick because they let him flesh out his answers fully. Patrick is someone who does not give good sound bites; you need to hear his full interviews to get the context.

I can't find it anywhere now, but in the kiss and cry interview after the FS at 2011 GPF (which was in Canada and this incident was still big news), Patrick was close to tears when he thanked the audience for their support. Do you know the one I'm talking about? The audience is very important to Patrick, even though he doesn't have the same showmanship as Brown or Takahashi. He stayed on the ice a bit longer after the SP and LP at that competition thanking the audience and soaking it all in. It was so heartwarming to see.

Speaking of Patrick's relationship with the audience, a quote from this article warms my heart, especially the parts that I've bolded:

"The only reason I would like to reach (the) 300 (point mark) would be to put a benchmark in the 6.0 kind of (way).

"The ease of the 6.0 system was that people could understand what a perfect score is and I hope that if I can reach 300 ... people can understand what is a good score or what is the ideal score for perfection.

"But I'm not going in... thinking I want to break 300 or stack my programmes so that my goal is only to hit 300. I'm more concerned with how I can inspire people and move people rather than (chase) points," added Chan, who won a seventh successive Canadian national men's title this month.

"Skating is more than just points. I'm so emotionally involved in my performances and if I can have the audience feel the same way by watching me then I have won."
In that case, Patrick, you've already won for me because I feel something indescribable every time you skate. Thank you for sharing yourself with me and with the world. :bow:

spikydurian

Medalist
To me, the most striking thing about this incident was that the editorial decisions of the paper, not the reporter, who was treated almost as badly as Patrick. (He apologised to Patrick for the use that had been made of his article) The editors made two very nasty decisions- 1. to distort the both reporter's and Patrick's words by a negative and misleading headline, 2. to hold the article for months until the eve of Patrick's skate .Unfortunately a lot of people only read the headlines, and others are influenced to read articles with bias because of them. It's tabloid journalism, and I was shocked when that particular paper resorted to such tactics. I'm no fan of Princess Michael, but the article in the royalty thread plays the same nasty trick on her, but that paper is a tabloid, and people expect that kind of malice from it.
I'm more or less used to this sort of "playing gotcha" with politicians, but it was a horrible thing to do to a young athlete. Patrick actually said that he would become a little more guarded, but would continue to be himself and say what he meant. I love that we don't get packaged, PR approved responses from him, even though it sometimes leads to criticism.

It is utter disappointment that these tabloids chose to target young amateur athletes. Maybe it gives them a sense of power to vilify whoever they wish to. The barrage of racial taunts which followed were disgusting. It is sad that we are living a world where drama sells rather than thoughtful writing. No wonder there are so much angst and deadly shooting these days.

I can't find it anywhere now, but in the kiss and cry interview after the FS at 2011 GPF (which was in Canada and this incident was still big news), Patrick was close to tears when he thanked the audience for their support. Do you know the one I'm talking about?

Thank you skatingfan. You made my heart warm too. And I do remember Patrick’s grateful expression at Skate Canada. As Coriana pointed out, she was there together with many of the audience who showed their show support and understanding to Patrick by clapping even before he skated. It is like..”it’s ok Patrick, we understand” (except the Mountain Woman who seemed to be the typical “if I cannot have fun, so can’t you” type:biggrin:).

Some news on Patrick – “In the locker room”. He said he’s very good at racing go-karts and I wonder whether he beat Moir in the go-kart race in the Tessa and Scott television series. And he wants to play Joseph Gordon Levitt in movies. Apparently, he was told that he looks like Joseph.:laugh:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
When I was writing my post about Patrick's relationship with the audience, I began to wonder how two people can watch the same skater, and even the same performance by that skater, and have two completely different reactions to it. Everyone in this thread is profoundly moved by Patrick's skating and yet there are many others on GS who say that Patrick's skating "leaves them cold," that he doesn't emote well on the ice, that he's not artistic, etc. How is this possible? Is it simply a matter of taste? I have a feeling that the reasons are hard to pin down. Takahashi is an amazing skater who has moved me on several occasions but not every time he takes the ice. Hanyu could become like Takahashi as he matures. Plushenko is a great jumper with astounding consistency and tenacity, but again, he doesn't “move me” like Patrick does. Other skaters who move me like Patrick does are G&G, S&Z, and Michelle Kwan. Jason Brown does too and he will probably be my favorite male skater at the 2018 Olympics. Ubers of Takahashi, Hanyu, and Plushenko probably feel as profoundly about them as we do about Patrick. What makes a skater moving to some but not to others?

I am asking this here because I didn't want it to turn into a “fan war” in The Edge, with people defending their own favorite skaters by putting down other skaters and then criticizing those who have different opinions. Call me a scaredy cat, but some threads there get crazy in a hurry. :yes:

Coriana

On the Ice
Spikey, I think the question was " who do you want to play you in a movie", not the other way round. And now to show my total ignorance, I'm going to have to google Joseph Gordon Levitt.

emdee

Final Flight
When I was writing my post about Patrick's relationship with the audience, I began to wonder how two people can watch the same skater, and even the same performance by that skater, and have two completely different reactions to it. Everyone in this thread is profoundly moved by Patrick's skating and yet there are many others on GS who say that Patrick's skating "leaves them cold," that he doesn't emote well on the ice, that he's not artistic, etc. How is this possible? Is it simply a matter of taste? I have a feeling that the reasons are hard to pin down. Takahashi is an amazing skater who has moved me on several occasions but not every time he takes the ice. Hanyu could become like Takahashi as he matures. Plushenko is a great jumper with astounding consistency and tenacity, but again, he doesn't “move me” like Patrick does. Other skaters who move me like Patrick does are G&G, S&Z, and Michelle Kwan. Jason Brown does too and he will probably be my favorite male skater at the 2018 Olympics. Ubers of Takahashi, Hanyu, and Plushenko probably feel as profoundly about them as we do about Patrick. What makes a skater moving to some but not to others?

I am asking this here because I didn't want it to turn into a “fan war” in The Edge, with people defending their own favorite skaters by putting down other skaters and then criticizing those who have different opinions. Call me a scaredy cat, but some threads there get crazy in a hurry. :yes:

I think that part of the problem was Lori's choreo. It is more technical than emotional ( I think Spiky pointed this out). Also it is choc a bloc with movement and hops and turns. So if one of these get derailed the program appears off. I think even patrick realized this and decided to move to Wilson who's programs bring out the best of Patrick whereas Lori's choreo brought out the best of Lori.

If you see the early Patrick when he first came on the senior scene consensus of commentators was his display of emotion on the ice. Dai to me is the consummate actor with the movements of a dancer. Patrick saw that he lacked this fluidity and changed his approach. One must remember that he already brought power and technique and mastery of the blade. Now he has the fluidity to go with it....

This is what I think.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think the biggest divide is that between "reaching out" and "drawing in" the spectators. Whereas one style may not be "better" than the other, "reaching out" is easier to perceive and enjoy, thus more crowd pleasing. Some of these can be entertaining in their flamboyance while sometimes some are over the top for me. "Drawing in" is IMO more sophisticated and requires some understanding and knowledge, or willing attention, from those watching. Like classical and rock music and all the variation in between, they are all music and one is not necessarily "better" and more enjoyable than the other, but they generally appeal to different tastes. While there are good and bad music within the genre and some people can appreciate the good ones in most genres, some people simply prefer a particular genre, regardless of the quality.

OTOH, some people may base their preference on the perceived personality, the performer's looks, nationality, etc. They may close their hearts and minds to accept someone based on such criteria with nothing to do with their skills and performances, or simply because someone is a chief rival of their favorite. A closed heart cannot be moved.

princessomega

Rinkside
My wife and i have been working on a song for Patrick Chan
I thought you all might enjoy the few verses we have so far.

Now here’s the tale
As I sip my ale
Of the Ice King Patrick Chan
Born with skates on his feet
Destined to compete
The fate of Canada
In his hands

Since 1924
There’s never been before
A Canadian to win gold
Others tried before
To even the score
But they left them in the cold

As he stepped in the rink
He began to think
Of his gold medal winning plan
I’ll reverse the curse
I will be first
So catch me if you can

(full song when its up will be on her youtube page...but i fear to post any links ever again here since i was banned once before.)