Patrick Chan | Page 122 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
All of us felt he was a bit off.

However when i have visualized him on top of the podium per Guru's suggestion he has been there by himself so I guess the visualization was for the individual event.

Just the same for me.

I think Patrick felt much pressure that he definitely had to skate perfectly for the team and it affected his performance.
And he has the well-known history he's never had a good skate at the previous team events.
Perhaps he feels much relieved now.
It was good for him to get the jitters out before the individual competition.

Go Patrick~!
Go and get the GOLD!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Look at it this way: Patrick has skated 3 Olympic programs so far, going from 7th t0 4th to 3rd. He is steadily on his way to the top of the Olympic podium.

I am glad and maybe he is too that there is the Team event to shake out all the jinxes on the Olympic ice.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Just the same for me.

I think Patrick felt much pressure that he definitely had to skate perfectly for the team and it affected his performance.
And he has the well-known history he's never had a good skate at the previous team events.
Perhaps he feels much relieved now.
It was good for him to get the jitters out before the individual competition.

Go Patrick~!
Go and get the GOLD!
Very true. This is similar to WTT and he hasn't done well at those. Plus, it was his first time on the ice with the crowd, so now that he knows what it feels like, he can settle in and hopefully skate his best.

Look at it this way: Patrick has skated 3 Olympic programs so far, going from 7th t0 4th to 3rd. He is steadily on his way to the top of the Olympic podium.

I am glad and maybe he is too that there is the Team event to shake out all the jinxes on the Olympic ice.
What a great way to think about things. If he gets second place in the team LP, then he has a chance to go 3-2-1 in the same Olympics. How cool would that be! :biggrin: (If he won the team LP, that would be fantastic, obviously, but I don't want to be too greedy :laugh:) It will be interesting to see how he skates in the team LP. Can lightning possibly strike twice for Patrick (i.e. doing two clean LPs in a row)? We shall see.

In the meantime, ohmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

ETA: According to this article, Patrick won't be skating in the team LP. In that case, best wishes to Kevin Reynolds. I'd love to see Canada and the US on the podium with Russia.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Team placements were fixed after the short programs so it was great for Kevin to win an Olympic medal and he delivered. Kevin should have won the LP but lost to the legend bonus.

Hope Patrick is well prepared, physically and mentally, for the Men's event. Go Chiddy go!

coppertop1

On the Ice
There was just no catching the Russians, they didn't put a foot wrong, Canada did its job by not leaving the door open for another team to sneak in behind and take silver and try to keep up with Russia.

I'm sure Patrick will be prepared.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Soooo glad he could win the silver medal together with great Team Canada:clap:
No wonder he looks much relieved now.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1139501/p...medal-relieves-pressure-for-individual-event/

“It’s relieved, for some reason, a lot of pressure off myself, pressure that I’ve put on myself,” he said.
“After getting the silver medal it’s really really a lot of pressure off me.
So I’m feeling a lot more lighthearted going into the first short program for the individual event.”

What a good sign!

BTW, I love his recent tweet:)

"Thank you all for your support for #TeamCanada!
Send good luck to any athlete or team competing at http://CheersToSochi.com #SPONSORED"

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
As the Men’s SP draws near, here are some calming reminders for Patrick fans (which I need as much as anyone ;)):

1. The results in Sochi will be what they will be. We, as fans, ultimately have no control over them.

2. Patrick has no control over how others skate or what scores the judges give.

3. All Patrick can control is his state of mind and his own programs. Many things have to fall into place for a given skater to win the OGM.

4. Our enjoyment of a given skater is not dependent on whether they win the OGM or not. I want Patrick to win the OGM because that is his dream and goal, but even if he doesn’t, that won’t diminish the overall quality of his skating or my love of it. Come what may, I am a Patrick fan for life!

5. And, lastly, a reminder from Patrick himself: Don’t Worry, Be Happy

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :biggrin:

coppertop1

On the Ice
As the Men’s SP draws near, here are some calming reminders for Patrick fans (which I need as much as anyone ;)):

1. The results in Sochi will be what they will be. We, as fans, ultimately have no control over them.

3. All Patrick can control is his state of mind and his own programs. Many things have to fall into place for a given skater to win the OGM.

4. Our enjoyment of a given skater is not dependent on whether they win the OGM or not. I want Patrick to win the OGM because that is his dream and goal, but even if he doesn’t, that won’t diminish the overall quality of his skating or my love of it. Come what may, I am a Patrick fan for life!

Good reminds, I'm confident that Patrick will win a medal but I don't like saying it's a guarantee as that feels like it's tempting fate. I have faith in Patrick, though and no matter how he does, he'll always be a great skater.

emdee

Final Flight

Thank you so much.
Don Jackson said that Patrick has done every thing to win the gold. If someone skates better....that's competition.
Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Coriana

On the Ice
Agreed. Patrick's fans are with him, win or lose. We've already won because we've had his years of wonderful skating. We want to see him happy.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I've been replaying the TEB programmes to help my visualization skills.

Let's see them as his Olympic performances and the podium as the Olympic podium.

Patrick just needs to get into the same state of mind as the TEB to win.

Go Patrick go! We are with you all the way no matter what.

spikydurian

Medalist

Well said, skatingfan. We love him no matter what the outcome. I will always watch his vid for years to come just like I have been watching some of my former favourite vids every now and then. Go Patrick!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
HANYU'S SCORE!!! :jaw: Patrick's score looks like he was clean too (I was too nervous to actually watch it live :laugh:). Oh my goodness! Hanyu has a higher overall BV, so I'm not sure if Patrick can win the OGM with that deficit. Hanyu beat him at GPF with a fall on the 4S and has been hitting everything else in the FS this year. It's Olympic ice though, so we shall see. If Patrick has a clean FS, that will be enough for me. Good luck Patrick!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick stepped out of his 3A. There should be bigger PCS gap IMO but that's how it's been scored. Patrick also lost COP points by not doing 2 jumps in the 2nd half of the SP. As well, COP doesn't give enough credit to difficult combo like his 4T/3T.

I am very optimistic for the LP. This is not Japanese ice. Judges are quite ready to give Hanyu high PCS but he needs to be cleaner than on home ice. Patrick generally has the advantage for the LP over Hanyu who actually has higher BV. But he has not been able to land his 4S so far.

I knew Hanyu would do extremely well when I saw how relaxed he was at the start of the program. I am picturing Patrick in the zone for the LP. His SP was mesmerizing.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
7th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd........................

Patrick stepped out of his 3A. There should be bigger PCS gap IMO but that's how it's been scored. Patrick also lost COP points by not doing 2 jumps in the 2nd half of the SP. As well, COP doesn't give enough credit to difficult combo like his 4T/3T.

I am very optimistic for the LP. This is not Japanese ice. Judges are quite ready to give Hanyu high PCS but he needs to be cleaner than on home ice. Patrick generally has the advantage for the LP over Hanyu who actually has higher BV. But he has not been able to land his 4S so far.

I knew Hanyu would do extremely well when I saw how relaxed he was at the start of the program. I am picturing Patrick in the zone for the LP. His SP was mesmerizing.
I agree with both of these posts. Can't wait to watch it tonight (I hope Scott and Sandra don't talk as much this time). The LP will be a very exciting nail biter. SO EXCITED!!! :popcorn: