Patrick Chan | Page 130 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Becki

Medalist
Welcome! :) I am also a long-time fan, but somewhat new here.

I can believe what you are saying. Very interesting that they could be sending Nam Nguyen now, instead of, say, Elladj Baldé. Do you happen to have a published/printed source handy, where they name (some of) the Canadian male skaters who would be attending Worlds? I assume that Liam Firus would be attending...

I wish Patrick Chan all of the best for whatever things he decides to do in the future, both inside and outside of figure skating. He is special... :)

Wait...isn't Nam Nguyen like a junior skater? Do does that mean he'll have to go senior in the next year?

I don't think Nam is ready for the senior ranks yet, he'll be buried alive :'(

Coriana

On the Ice
Nam is entered in junior worlds- along with Roman. Surely he wouldn't be skating the Worlds as well?

spikydurian

Medalist
Nam is entered in junior worlds- along with Roman. Surely he wouldn't be skating the Worlds as well?
If he's going for Juniors, I don't think he'll be going for Senior Worlds. Andrei Rogozine may be part of the trio if Patrick does not go? Kevin + Andrei + Balde??

torontonian

Rinkside
In my mentioning Nam, I was commenting about the following part of this post from Violet on page 172:

I just heard that Kevin and Nam Nguyen have confirmed that they will go to worlds. Then it is very unlikely that Patrick will go. :(

I have not seen anything officially published/printed that confirms Nam going to Senior Worlds, and have been giving Violet the benefit of the doubt, in case she/he has some type of access to "insider info". Nam meets the age and TES requirements for Senior Worlds.

I would agree that Nam competing in both Junior and Senior Worlds within the same month would be "ambitious", and do realize that (if I recall correctly) he has been assigned to Junior Worlds (of course, they could send a substitute entry to Juniors if they now intend to send Nam to Senior Worlds instead, assuming that the date for making changes to the Juniors roster has not passed).

Andrei Rogozine has met the TES requirement for Worlds, based at least on his scores from Skate Canada ( http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan2013/ ), so he is also a possibility, as mentioned by spikydurian. I do not know if Liam Firus meets the TES requirement for Senior Worlds.

I would imagine that we would know the entries for Senior Worlds soon, since the deadline for submitting entries for Senior Worlds is at 20:00, local time in Saitama, Japan on Monday March 3 (based on info on page 4 of http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/90917/wc2014_announcement.pdf ).

Whatever Patrick decides regarding this upcoming Worlds, I wish for him the very best. :) He has/is going to have many options available to him for his future. He could have quite the exciting life ahead!

Last edited:

torontonian

Rinkside
Wait...isn't Nam Nguyen like a junior skater? Do does that mean he'll have to go senior in the next year? (

Nam has been competing in the Senior ranks at Canadian Nationals and competed in the most recent Four Continents championship, a senior level ISU international competition (see http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2014/CAT001RS.HTM ). His technical (TES) scores there (click the Short program and Free Skating program links at http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2014/index.htm ) exceeded the minimal TES requirement for competing at this year's Senior Worlds, and Nam also meets the age requirement.

Last edited:

Violet

Rinkside
Hi guys,

Sorry but I just heard the news from a long-term fan of Patrick. I am not sure where she got the info. Please forgive me if I prove to be wrong. Yes, Torontonian, we will find out soon! Whatever Pat decides, I just hope he can be happy and have fun as always. :)

torontonian

Rinkside
Hi guys,

Sorry but I just heard the news from a long-term fan of Patrick. I am not sure where she got the info. Please forgive me if I prove to be wrong. Yes, Torontonian, we will find out soon! Whatever Pat decides, I just hope he can be happy and have fun as always. :)

Thank you for the additional info about the source of your info! :) This helps prepare us for the possibilities of the info being incorrect/correct. I would easily forgive you if her info turns out to be inaccurate, so no worries.

We indeed will find out the official answer soon, and I agree with you about Patrick. Moving forward in his life (which hopefully will be a long and happy one, irrespective of the paths that he chooses during it), his own well-being is the most important. :)

torontonian

Rinkside
Just saw this info in one of the threads in The Edge (http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-are-not-going&p=879236&viewfull=1#post879236). It states that Nam Nguyen is going to Senior Worlds.

Nam Nguyen wrote on Instagram a couple of days ago that he's going to Worlds. I guess this means that one of the Canadian men is out, but who? Is it Patrick? :confused:

So, the info that Violet heard and posted to us on Feb 28 (http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?35721-Patrick-Chan&p=878251&viewfull=1#post878251) about Nam and Kevin both going to Senior Worlds most likely is correct.

Here are the Nam Nguyen Instagram and Twitter pages where it is posted that he is going to Senior Worlds:
https://twitter.com/namskating
http://instagram.com/namskating
http://instagram.com/p/k8XSkgIKeU/

Of course, it could be that Nam is the replacement for Liam Firus (assuming that Liam Firus did not achieve the minimal TES requirement for Worlds) and that Nam's competing there doesn't mean that Patrick won't be there. We'll know soon. Wishing Nam well for this next phase in his skating career!

---------------

Patrick and his friends when he was a kid. Anyone can identify the 'kids' in the pictures? And here's another pix with a cutie pie.

No, I don't know who the others are in these pictures, but am curious. Cute pictures! :)

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks torontonian. Violet is right. So it's Kevin & Name & ?????. I think the ???? is likely to be Andrei or Balde. Balde was fourth and Andrei was seventh. Nam was fifth at the Canadian Nationals and he's a great kid with tremendous showmanship. He just got his 3A and he has been improving. The experience will be invaluable for this kid.

My guess will be on Balde if Patrick does not go. Will know by tomorrow.

torontonian

Rinkside
Thanks torontonian. Violet is right. So it's Kevin & Name & ?????. I think the ???? is likely to be Andrei or Balde. Balde was fourth and Andrei was seventh. Nam was fifth at the Canadian Nationals and he's a great kid with tremendous showmanship. He just got his 3A and he has been improving. The experience will be invaluable for this kid.

My guess will be on Balde if Patrick does not go. Will know by tomorrow.

Agreed. Assuming that there are not any injuries that we do not know about. Or Visa issues (unlikely).

torontonian

Rinkside

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I just saw the entrants list for Worlds: http://dev.figureskating.sportresult.com/Schedule/EntryList/2014/0/51515/MEN/TO

Is the list provisional? Or does it list the definite entrants+alternates registered as of today? If this is pretty much set in stone... then we're looking at no defending of the title :(
AFAIK, that is the final entry list, since the deadline for submitting entries was today. I can't say I'm surprised. Patrick had a physically and mentally exhausting Olympics, so I can totally understand him skipping Worlds. I mentioned in an earlier post that Patrick's way of skating could be hard to maintain over four more years, especially with all the young guns on the scene. Then it dawned on me that Patrick is still "only" 23. In skating years, he seems much older than that. He's always skated with a maturity beyond his years. I wish him all the best in whatever he does in the future. It seems like he's been around forever and it will feel different not having him at Worlds this year.

Violet

Rinkside
AFAIK, that is the final entry list, since the deadline for submitting entries was today. I can't say I'm surprised. Patrick had a physically and mentally exhausting Olympics, so I can totally understand him skipping Worlds. I mentioned in an earlier post that Patrick's way of skating could be hard to maintain over four more years, especially with all the young guns on the scene. Then it dawned on me that Patrick is still "only" 23. In skating years, he seems much older than that. He's always skated with a maturity beyond his years. I wish him all the best in whatever he does in the future. It seems like he's been around forever and it will feel different not having him at Worlds this year.

I have been conjecturing on Pat's decision. Based on historic stories, I don't think Patrick is going to retire permanently from the competitive circuit. Reasons:

1. 23 years old is still pretty young. Brian Orser, Elvis Stojyko and Kurt were about 26 or 27 years old when they went to their last Olympics Where Orser got another silver medal. Patrick will just turn 27 in 2018, nowhere near 28.

2. I don't remember seeing anyone decide to retire immediately, who is the top 3 in the world and no compatriot skaters are catching up with him. Especially when he is still young and didn't win the Olympics gold medal. He sort of has the responsibility to earn spots for his country.

3. Of course, another motivation is the Olympic gold that could've won if he did his best. Yagudin retired right after 2002 Olympics when he was only 22 because he did win the gold medal and also Plushy was taking over from him for their country.

4. I remember in an interview, Pat said that although he still hadn't gone to college, a career in competitive skating could be pursuit only when he is young whereas the good schools will always be there in the end of the day.

5. I personally think he still has a lot to improve and prove himself. Another quad jump? Stabilize 3A and include 2 in the free skate? Break 300 as a new world record? Try different music/styles for his programs? Win another world with two CLEAN skates? Etc, etc.