Patrick Chan | Page 132 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Suzzie

Rinkside
Here’s a question to ponder: Do you prefer Patrick’s Elegie as an Ex or as an SP? I know the goals and requirements/constraints of each program are different and I absolutely love both. That said, I think I prefer the SP simply because of the footwork section that begins in the silence of the music. It’s funny because now when I watch the Elegie Ex, I picture the footwork from the SP when it gets to that point in the music. :laugh: For reference, here’s the Ex.

Hi.
I prefer SP.
his Elegie SP performance made me speechless. really, i couldn't find words to describe how it impressed me. as Tarasova says, my heart stops beating when he skates.

spikydurian

Medalist
Violet said:
Wow.. what a beautiful picture, Violet. You are an artist yourself. The beautiful lines, his facial expression, the carvings on the ice .. I LOVE it. I have uploaded your beautiful pix as my avatar. I hope you are agreeable? :)

You have described Elegie so well. It's a hauntingly beautiful music and certainly not an easy music to skate to particularly as a competitive piece. Yes, you got it right. The skater has to carry the music and not otherwise. But as Buttle puts it in this interview, it was Patrick's skating skills which allow all the elements to be put into the program. And the most beautiful part ... the carving of the ice during the quietest part of the music.

skatingfan, I love both Elegie, the SP and the Ex. In the Ex, his gorgeous glide and superior edges were in full display. He was like a feather, floating on ice. In almost every program, I can find something I enjoy so much and marvel at that I play that particular section, over and over again. To name a few ... his straight line one footed sequence in Take Five, the vigorous and highly complex choreography in Phantom, the twizzles in Aranjuez, the little hops in latest Vivaldi ..... And when he performs without error, that program becomes a masterpiece, IMO. And to top the ice on the cake, I adore his smiles. As one of his skating fan puts it, it's 'sunshine'.

I am already missing him. And when the GP season arrives towards the end of the year, I think I will even miss him more when it will dawn upon me that I cannot look forward to his new programs and what Tu Ly has designed for him. Sigh....

Here's a vid capturing Patrick and his colleagues watching the FD in Sochi.

emdee

Final Flight
I am really looking forward to seeing Patrick on CSOI in May.
For those of you who havent seen him live I have to say that watching him live at Worlds last year was amazing.
Many people who saw him live at TEB last year are totally in his thrall.

I have always thought him to be a sensitive and musical skater. I think though Lori's programs were techinically very difficult and more choc a bloc with COP goodies they were very busy so didnt allow him to express his soul in the way that Wilson's does. Some of her ex programs were rather campy as well. I love his current ex. He is a true dancer there expressing every nuance of the song in his movement and skating. In fact when he was practicing his ex at Skate Canada it was fun to see Scott skating the ex behind him.

From all recent interviews I see that Scott is one of his biggest fans with a huge appreciation of his talent. I think so far that Patrick is the most complete skater of the last two quads. Lambiel has a different kind of musicality and his entrances and set ups were not as good as Patrick.

Violet

Rinkside
Wow.. what a beautiful picture, Violet. You are an artist yourself. The beautiful lines, his facial expression, the carvings on the ice .. I LOVE it. I have uploaded your beautiful pix as my avatar. I hope you are agreeable? :)

Hi spikydurian, I am sorry but the drawing was not made by me. I saw it somewhere and thought it would be nice to share it here. I guess it's OK to use it as your avatar though. BTW, do we need to have a certain number of posts in the forum before we can upload an avatar? I am unable to use avatar now...

I am already missing him. And when the GP season arrives towards the end of the year, I think I will even miss him more when it will dawn upon me that I cannot look forward to his new programs and what Tu Ly has designed for him. Sigh....

Has he said that he will opt out of next Grand Prix Series? Or even the whole next season? I really hope he can change his mind... :(

Violet

Rinkside
For those of you who havent seen him live I have to say that watching him live at Worlds last year was amazing.
Many people who saw him live at TEB last year are totally in his thrall.

I have always thought him to be a sensitive and musical skater. I think though Lori's programs were techinically very difficult and more choc a bloc with COP goodies they were very busy so didnt allow him to express his soul in the way that Wilson's does. Some of her ex programs were rather campy as well. I love his current ex. He is a true dancer there expressing every nuance of the song in his movement and skating. In fact when he was practicing his ex at Skate Canada it was fun to see Scott skating the ex behind him.

From all recent interviews I see that Scott is one of his biggest fans with a huge appreciation of his talent. I think so far that Patrick is the most complete skater of the last two quads. Lambiel has a different kind of musicality and his entrances and set ups were not as good as Patrick.

Hi emdee, do you know if he will come to the US for any shows? Did he come last year? I am sort of a new fan although I've known him since 2008.

Meoima

Match Penalty
PChan just updated his twitter with a picture with his cut on the rib, poor him. I hope the picture was old because it's weeks since Sochi Gala. The cut must have been heal already, I hope so.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
PChan just updated his twitter with a picture with his cut on the rib, poor him. I hope the picture was old because it's weeks since Sochi Gala. The cut must have been heal already, I hope so.

So people don't have to go looking for Patrick's photo:

ETA, Chan used "#fbf" = FlashBackFriday, so I believe that he was indicating that the photo was taken at the time of the Gala.​

ETA: And Patrick's GF attached a presumably light-hearted comment of "#badass" to the Instagram photo -- so I hope that means that by now he is OK. ;)

Violet

Rinkside
So people don't have to go looking for Patrick's photo:

ETA, Chan used "#fbf" = FlashBackFriday, so I believe that he was indicating that the photo was taken at the time of the Gala.​

ETA: And Patrick's GF attached a presumably light-hearted comment of "#badass" to the Instagram photo -- so I hope that means that by now he is OK. ;)

Oh yes, I don't think it was that serious either because otherwise we would have seen blood on his white shirt...

Ophelia

Record Breaker
No offense, but is that stomach flab I see in the picture? I imagined that any Olympic-level athlete would be super toned.

spikydurian

Medalist

Violet

Rinkside
No offense, but is that stomach flab I see in the picture? I imagined that any Olympic-level athlete would be super toned.

According to some interview/news, he reduced his body fat from 11% to 7% for the Olympic season. I guess it also depends on how you pose. If you sit down and bend forward, anybody would have some fat around the belly, unless you are as skinny as a skeleton...

Meoima

Match Penalty
According to some interview/news, he reduced his body fat from 11% to 7% for the Olympic season. I guess it also depends on how you pose. If you sit down and bend forward, anybody would have some fat around the belly, unless you are as skinny as a skeleton...
Yes, PChan is already well-toned. Stomach flab depends on how you pose, even victoria secret super models have stomach flab with the unflattering pose. Anyways, how much of a person's body fat is considered healthy?

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hi skatingfan4ever, I was never a big fan of Patrick until I watched his Elegie SP at TEB this season. I was totally stunned. What an artist on the ice! It's always difficult to skate to quiet music, because such soft music cannot carry you but need you to carry. I was simply speechless. Every step, every movement he does seem to interpret the music so naturally, as if his program and the music were born together. He was completely in the music--the program creates a new world that embraces you as you watch the program. Rachmaninoff would never expect, after 100 years, somebody would be able to create such beautiful moments on the ice with his music. Patrick has a classical and introvert aurora on the ice that his artistry is not always easy for skating fans to discover. You need to have a really serene mindset to appreciate his artistry. I would like to call him "poet on the ice". Novels and plays are usually much easier to get into but you need a lot more patience to appreciate poems. I think that's why many people don't appreciate Patrick's artistry, or simply don't see it.
At TEB, I was amazed at how calm Patrick looked. The previous season, he always seemed so tense and uptight, especially in the FS. At SC and TEB this season, though, he seemed so calm and composed. TEB was just magical. It was an Olympic kind of performance where everything just fell into place. Then at GPF, Nationals, and the Olympics, he was pensive again. You're right; the TEB rink is beautiful. I like your description of Patrick as a poet on ice. His skating is wonderful, but only if you know how to "read" it well. Also, others can explain a poem to you forever, but their explanations can't force you to like the poem. In many cases, what you get out of something depends on what you are willing to put in.

You have described Elegie so well. It's a hauntingly beautiful music and certainly not an easy music to skate to particularly as a competitive piece. Yes, you got it right. The skater has to carry the music and not otherwise. But as Buttle puts it in this interview, it was Patrick's skating skills which allow all the elements to be put into the program. And the most beautiful part ... the carving of the ice during the quietest part of the music.

skatingfan, I love both Elegie, the SP and the Ex. In the Ex, his gorgeous glide and superior edges were in full display. He was like a feather, floating on ice. In almost every program, I can find something I enjoy so much and marvel at that I play that particular section, over and over again. To name a few ... his straight line one footed sequence in Take Five, the vigorous and highly complex choreography in Phantom, the twizzles in Aranjuez, the little hops in latest Vivaldi ..... And when he performs without error, that program becomes a masterpiece, IMO. And to top the ice on the cake, I adore his smiles. As one of his skating fan puts it, it's 'sunshine'.
:agree::)

The picture of Patrick's gash is rather gruesome. I hope it's healed fully and I'm glad Patrick seems to be okay. It's an occupational hazard of being a figure skater, I suppose. ;)

spikydurian

Medalist
From all recent interviews I see that Scott is one of his biggest fans with a huge appreciation of his talent. I think so far that Patrick is the most complete skater of the last two quads.

Lucky you, Emdee. You are such a true fan of skating… never missing the competitions and shows. I wish I have a chance to watch these wonderful athletes in Australia. I find the CSOI tickets pretty reasonable the most expensive being $90.00. That’s what I pay for a 1 ½ hour local ballet show and two to three time more if it’s international cast. (Oh yes Emdee, got the ticket to watch Michael Buble in May…. my friend booked 9 months in advance). Will think of Patrick when Michael sings Moondance.

Patrick is performing in JSOI and guess what … I missed the show in Osaka by one week. My coming holiday to Japan ends 9 April.
Hi emdee, do you know if he will come to the US for any shows? Did he come last year? I am sort of a new fan although I've known him since 2008.

USA SOI has a good cast too with all the upcoming skaters. I don’t think Patrick has ever performed in USA SOI. Last year was the first time he performed with CSOI (am I right, Emdee?). But he had been performing regularly in Yuna shows until last year.
Violet said:

That is my opinion too. One must be anorexic not to have any body fat at all.
Yes, skatingfan, figure skating a major occupational hazard. Each time the man lifts the lady in pairs, and twirls her above his head, it makes me nervous.

spikydurian

Medalist
He seems to be good at any sport. Maybe he can compete in curling in 2018, hahaha.
That would be marvelous. Maybe he can compete until he's 50yo. Unfortunately, in figure skating, the 'lifespan' is short with all the pressure pounding on one's body.

Patrick is a natural athlete. Best to find a game where 'size' does not mater. Hockey is out since he's too 'small sized' compare to the hockey players. :laugh: Field hockey has less size constraints compare to ice hockey. In fact, the bigger you are, the less agile one is on the field. Th e best field hockey players are never huge. I heard he's pretty good in skiing and I wonder whether it's too late to start competitive skiing?

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! I know it's not really his holiday, but I couldn't resist. ;) As far as skating skills, he is the saint of all saints!

I hope to see Patrick on the (figure skating) ice again soon. The only problem with curling is that it's even less popular in the US than figure skating, which means it's only on TV here during the Olympics and, even then, never in primetime. But, if that is Patrick's new dream, he should go for it! :biggrin: From the tone of the tweet, though, I don't see Patrick as a future Olympic curler. I'm so glad he seems to be having so much fun right now.

spikydurian

Medalist
A nice St Patrick's Day fan pix for PATRICK Chan and S PATRICK Moir from a PATRICK fan. And they happen to be good buddies too! :)

Another fan drawing for Patrick. Cute.

Patrick tweeted that he's working on a show program. I guess it may be for CSOI. I would love to see more Buttle creations for Patrick. Now that Patrick is doing show skating, he's has all the freedom to showcase his fabulous edges and footwork. Please please Buttle or Wilson, use this incredible vehicle to showcase your choreography too.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I would try to watch and understand curling if PChan decides that will be his new sport career. :yay: